Neil Freeman

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Freeman

Re: Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Friday 19th August.

A typical Friday morning these days in that I popped round to see my mom and whilst there had a short 30 minute or so wander round the local park by her house.

There had been a new wave of Speckled Woods emerge since the last time I was here and I counted a conservative 18 during my circuit, most of which were in much better condition than those I had seen on my last visit.
Speckled Wood male - Langley Hall 19.08.2022
Speckled Wood female - Langley Hall 19.08.2022
Speckled Wood female - Langley Hall 19.08.2022
One of them looked a bit different in flight and when it settled I saw that it had a pale forewing, probably caused by the pigments not developing properly in the pupa.
The only other butterflies seen were a few Green-veined Whites and a single faded female Gatekeeper.

Later in the afternoon I had a wander down to my local spot by Wagon Lane. Here there were a few more whites flying with around a dozen seen, mostly Small and Green-veined but with a couple of Large whites too.
Small White - Wagon Lane 19.08.2022
Small White - Wagon Lane 19.08.2022
About half a dozen Speckled Wood were seen along with 3 Red Admirals, all of which were too flighty to get close to.

A Small Copper was a bit more accommodating when a cloud covered the sun for a while. A comparison of previous photos shows this to be one of those that I saw here on my last visit here 10 days ago.
Small Copper - Wagon Lane 19.08.2022
Small Copper - Wagon Lane 19.08.2022
A couple of tired and faded Gatekeepers completed the tally here this afternoon.

With no late season specialities around here there is a real winding down feel now, almost autumnal with lots of early leaf fall due to the dry conditions. We did have quite a bit of rain earlier in the week but that won’t put the leaves back on the trees and the past couple of days have been dry again albeit windy and with a lot of cloud building up during the day but clearing overnight leading to some cooler mornings.

Bye for now,

Neil.
David M

Post by David M »

Those Speckled Woods are radiant, Neil. :mrgreen: Feels a bit strange to see butterflies in this condition at the end of summer.

Things looking tired round my way too, sadly. Like you, Brown Hairstreak apart, we don't have any of the late 'desirables' to provide impetus, so henceforth I suspect I'll be looking out for vagrant Clouded Yellows until mid-October whilst simultaneously recording the decline of everything else. :(
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely shots of the Small Copper Neil, I saw a couple on Saturday but they were too busy. :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely looking Specklies Neil and I love that Small White, so crisp 8)
"With no late season specialities around here there is a real winding down feel now"...I know what you mean as I was up in North Wales last week and there was definitely an 'end of the season' feel. Although saying that there were a few Walls and Painted Lady about so there might be something still to look out for even if it looks like being 'early doors' this year :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks David. I should be seeing fresh Speckled Wood around here for a while yet, at least well into September before they go over for the year. Brown Hairstreaks are around a 45 minute drive from here but I have not had the time recently to make the trip worthwhile. From reports I have seen they have also been hard work this year.

Thanks Goldie. I've not seen much else this week, too busy with family stuff when the weather was suitable and too dull and cloudy when I had more time.

Cheers Wurzel. No Wall Browns around here unfortunatly. Apparently a few Painted Ladies and Clouded Yellows are being seen but they are turning up at random and I simply haven't had the opportunity to get out looking when the weather has been suitable.

More Garden Moths.

With more cloudy skies recently, I have had the moth trap out a few more times with some of the autumn species beginning to start turning up.

The Sallow was a first for my garden on the night of 23rd although it is a reasonably common and widespread species.
Sallow - Coverdale 23.08.2022
Sallow - Coverdale 23.08.2022
On the other hand I usually have a few Centre-barred Sallows with the 23rd producing the first one this year.
Centre-barred Sallow - Coverdale 23.08.2022
Centre-barred Sallow - Coverdale 23.08.2022
The 23rd also produced the first Orange Swifts with half a dozen males in the trap.
Orange Swift male - Coverdale 23.08.2022
Orange Swift male - Coverdale 23.08.2022
A few nights later on the 26th a couple of larger and paler females turned up along with more males.
Orange Swift female - Coverdale 23.08.2022
Orange Swift female - Coverdale 23.08.2022
More subtly attractive Flounced Rustics have also been appearing over the past week or so.
Flounced Rustic - Coverdale 28.08.2022
Flounced Rustic - Coverdale 28.08.2022
As the nights get cooler, total numbers of moths are starting to drop off but there are still some nice autumn species that should start turning up over the next few weeks.

Bye for now,

Neil.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Some lovely moths there Neil and fabulous images as always - Never seen any of them down here.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Pauline. I'm sure they are around down there, they are all considered common and widespread species. If I remember right, I had a Centre-barred Sallow and a couple of Flounced Rustics when I ran my portable trap in the garden of the B&B in Bosham that we stayed in this time last year.

Tuesday 30th August.

A nice pleasant afternoon with plenty of sun and wispy high level cloud tempted me to have a wander down to my local spot by Wagon Lane. At first, I didn't see much with just a couple each of Green-veined and Small Whites flying along the hedges.

I went to have a look at one of the corners where I have previously seen a few Small Coppers here in the past and was pleased to find a fairly fresh looking male darting about and returning to a favourite perch.
Small Copper male - Wagon Lane 30.08.2022
Small Copper male - Wagon Lane 30.08.2022
After taking a few shots I continued on my arouind my usual circuit, seeing a few more whites which included a couple of Large Whites as well as GV and Small.

On my way back I again checked out the spot where I had seen the Small Copper and after a little seaching found that he had got himself a mate.
Small Copper pair - Wagon Lane 30.08.2022
I took a few photos and as I was shifting postion I accidently knocked some of the grass stems which put them up but they only flew a short distance before settling again.
After taking a couple more shots I then left them in peace.

The only other butterflies seen here today were a couple of male Speckled Woods which were fluttering around some brambles but didn't settle in any decent poses for photos.

Bye for now,

Neil.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely shots of the Coppers Neil :mrgreen: I've not seen any paired before :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking set of Coppers 'on the job' Neil :wink: 8) I've still to find and photograph this species when in cop so have a few :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Goldie and Wurzel. Now I think about it, I don't think I have seen Small Coppers in cop before either.

Cheers,

Neil.
David M

Post by David M »

Great to see the array of moths you are getting currently, Neil, and well done with the pair of Small Coppers, something which I think I've only ever seen once.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Just seen your gorgeous Helice image Neil. Well done. Helice is always quite special in my book.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks David. Small Coppers seem to have had a decent year around my patch.

Thanks Pauline. I put that photo on the Sussex BC website when I reported my sightings but didn't have time down at Sarah's to do a proper report for on here until now I am back home.

Monday 5th September.

A week or so back, our daughter Sarah called us and asked if we wanted to go and spend a couple of days with her down in Emsworth. Her husband had been home on leave for a couple of weeks from Poland where he is currently deployed as part of the NATO presence but was going back on Sunday 4th so she asked if we wanted to go down the following day and stop for a couple of nights.
After a spectacular thunderstorm on Sunday night we left home on Monday morning in pleasant sunny conditions but on the way down we drove through all sorts of weather ranging from nice sunny spells to black clouds and showers of really heavy rain. We arrived in Emsworth at 12.30 in drizzly rain but Sarah mentioned it had been dry earlier and was supposed to brighten up again later in the afternoon.

Thorney Island.

After settling in and catching up over a sandwich and a coffee, it did indeed look to be brightening up a bit so I decided to take advantage and go out for a couple of hours. After driving down in the morning, I did not fancy driving far so thought I would go and have a look on Thorney Island, this only being 10 minutes from Sarah’s house. As I was driving through Emsworth there was a short sharp shower but on turning off for Thorney Island and arriving at the small parking area just past the marina it had stopped and although still cloudy the skies were looking a lighter grey. I set off along the path that circles around the island and noticed that much clearer skies were heading over, including some large patches of blue sky.

To start with I didn’t see much, just a couple of Speckled Wood and Small Whites, but after being buzzed through the barracks gate and walking further down towards the southern end, I began to see a few more butterflies including a few Small Heath, a couple of Red Admirals and a Comma along with more Speckled Woods and Small Whites.
Small Heath - Thorney Island 05.09.2022
Small Heath - Thorney Island 05.09.2022
Red Admiral - Thorney Island 05.09.2022
Red Admiral - Thorney Island 05.09.2022
I also spotted a Small Copper by where the path reaches the stretch of shingle beach.
Small Copper - Thorney Island 05.09.2022
Small Copper - Thorney Island 05.09.2022
I went as far as where the access road leads to the beach from the barracks and looked around the meadow area with lots of fleabane which looked to be the likeliest spot to maybe see a Clouded Yellow. By now, the blue skies had reached us and in the warm sun there were more Small Whites flying around here. After a few minutes I spotted a yellow shape flying back and forth at high speed around the area, a Clouded Yellow and my first one this year.
I watched as it quartered back and forth over the area and saw when it suddenly dropped down into the vegetation. I slowly approached the spot where it had disappeared, hoping to find it perhaps nectaring on a flower, but before I got there it was up again with a second one. It looked like the first one was a male that had found a female and over the next few minutes I watched as they repeatedly flew high into the air then dropped down again before charging back and forth just above the vegetation. I tried to fire off a few shots of them in flight but most of the time they were too far away and moving too fast. The only shot that I got that wasn’t just a couple of small blurred yellow blobs was the one below which is cropped quite a bit but at least confirms they were definitely a male and female.
Clouded Yellow pair - Thorney Island 05.09.2022
Clouded Yellow pair - Thorney Island 05.09.2022
After a few minutes of watching them perform, they flew off over the shrubs to the back of this area and didn’t return. I assume the male was successful and they had dropped down out of sight to mate.

I then checked the time which was now 4.15pm and realised that I had better make a move as I had told Jane and Sarah that I would be back by 5.00pm…not much chance of that now with the distance I had to walk back to the car…oops!

I had just started back when I spotted a ‘white’ that didn’t look right and when it settled on a patch of fleabane I realised that it was a helice female Clouded Yellow. I made my slow approach and managed to fire off a few shots as I got closer before it took off and flew over the nearby fence into the MOD area.
Clouded Yellow helice - Thorney Island 05.09.2022
I then stepped it out back the way I had come, seeing what were probably the same butterflies that I had previously seen on the way down. I did wonder about carrying on to do the complete circuit but never having done this before I wasn't sure if that would take me even longer to get back.

On my wander down earlier, I had noticed a number of birds, including Greenshanks, Curlew, Godwits, Oystercatchers, Little Egret and Heron, all out on the mudflats and too far away for any worthwhile photos. There was also a Kestrel hovering over one of the fields and at one point I watched a large bird quartering back and forth over a field by the Great Deep. At first I thought it was a buzzard but its behaviour put me more in mind of a Marsh Harrier but unfortunately it was too far away to be sure one way or the other.

I also spotted a few Wheatears (I think) flying back and forth along the rockier stretches between the path and the sea.
Wheatear -  Thorney Island 05.09.2022
Wheatear - Thorney Island 05.09.2022
Wheatear -  Thorney Island 05.09.2022
Wheatear - Thorney Island 05.09.2022
I arrived back at Sarah’s at 5.45pm and luckily they had assumed that I would make the most of the decent spell of sunshine, so I wasn’t in the doghouse for being late.
In fact the second half of the afternoon had turned out much better than the forecast had indicated and although more thunderstorms were forecast for overnight, my fingers were crossed for a window in the weather sometime during the next day.

To be continued...

Neil.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Tuesday 6th September – Old Winchester Hill.

The forecast for overnight thunderstorms proved to be right and from 10.00pm until around midnight we had a corker with lots of lightening followed almost immediately by loud rolls of thunder that made it feel that at times it was almost overhead.
By morning the skies had cleared somewhat to leave a mix of cloud and sunny spells that was forecast to last well into the morning. After taking little Chloe to school (Frankie now being in senior school and old enough to make his own way) Sarah and Jane had planned to go into Havant for a morning around the shops, leaving me free to go out somewhere.

I decided to head for Old Winchester Hill to see what was still around. I was hoping that there might be a few second brood Adonis Blues still about but although I had read somewhere that this was a later site for these, I was not sure how the hot and dry weather earlier this year had affected the season down here. Likewise, I had seen Silver-spotted Skippers there last year but that was a few days earlier in comparison and that had also been a later season overall.

Anyway, I arrived at 09.50am and set off down the hill below the car park after spotting a worn Speckled Wood fluttering about just inside the first gate. At this time it was fairly cloudy but feeling reasonably warm, maybe 18 degrees so, although there was a bit of a breeze blowing across the higher parts of the hill. I soon saw a few Meadow Browns and Small Heath, mostly looking faded and a bit bedraggled after the storm of the previous night.
I had just started down the hill when I put up a female Adonis Blue that was sitting on the path and which flew a short distance down it before settling again.
Adonis Blue female - OWH 06.09.2022
I carried on down the hill and during the next hour and a half I enjoyed some quite pleasant conditions as the clouds thinned out to provide a nice mix with some warm sunny periods. I concentrated on the lower parts of the slope which were a bit more sheltered from the breeze although it could still be felt and resulted in the butterflies either settling low down or bobbing about on flower heads or other stems of vegetation.
In the end I reckon I saw 20+ Adonis Blues, both males and females, most of which were getting worn or showing rain damage but there were one of two reasonable ones still around.
Adonis Blue - OWH 06.09.2022
I was also pleased to find half a dozen Silver-spotted Skippers, again mostly worn and faded but a couple were not too shabby.
Silver-spotted Skipper female - OWH 06.09.2022
Silver-spotted Skipper male - OWH 06.09.2022
Silver-spotted Skipper male - OWH 06.09.2022
One particular flower head provided me with both of my targets in one shot.
Silver-spotted Skipper and Adonis Blue - OWH 06.09.2022
Silver-spotted Skipper and Adonis Blue - OWH 06.09.2022
There were also a few Chalk Hill Blues left, not many and mostly females looking to be on their last legs now.
Chalk Hill Blue - OWH 06.09.2022
One in particular example looked so worn and had a greenish tinge that made it almost look like a different species.
As well as the butterflies already mentioned, a couple of worn Common Blues were seen but that was about it.

I had been keeping my eye on a bank of darker clouds that were heading over and these arrived overhead at around 11.15, shortly followed by some drops or rain which prompted me to head back up to the car park. With these darker clouds stretching back as far as I could see to the horizon I figured it was time to head back to Sarah’s.

Although the afternoon did brighten up a bit again I didn’t go out anywhere else as little Chloe (6 years old) had somehow managed to get Grandad to promise that he would go with her Mom to pick her up from school. This is about a 10 minute walk from their house during which I spotted a few Small Whites and at least one Large white fluttering around some gardens along the way.

We were heading home the next day (Wednesday 7th) and after some more heavy rain around 09.30am and more in the forecast, we didn’t hang around but made a move. On the way back we drove through a couple of torrential showers on the M27 and then some lighter showers on and off as we went back up the A34.
Back home, we had some more heavy rain yesterday afternoon (Thursday 8th) and as I finish this report on Friday morning it is cloudy with more rain forecast for later today.

Bye for now,

Neil.
trevor

Post by trevor »

The latter brood of Adonis, when perched on scabious flowers, do make for a fine image, lovely shots Neil.
As for the weather we've had the same here. Everyone I have spoken to remarks on one particular thunderclap
at about 10.15 on Monday evening, a blue flash with an instant, ear- splitting bang. That was too close for comfort.

Trevor.
PS. A :mrgreen: for the helice earlier.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shots of the Helice Neil - I've still to see one :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: Also good to see you catch up with the Silver-spots 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Well that was a productive trip, Neil. :)

Some fabulous southern specialities there, and the helice was the icing on the cake!
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Trevor, Wurzel and David. It was a nice couple of days and given the forecasts I had seen before going down I was well chuffed with the butterflies I ended up seeing.

Not much around back home now. A few Speckled Wood and Small Whites between the showers and a tatty Red Admiral briefly popped into the garden on Saturday but that has been about it.
A real autumn feel to the mornings now although there is still some warmth in the sun when it does come out, although that had not usually been for long.

Cheers,

Neil.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

For various reasons, I 've not run the moth trap for a week or two now but I was pottering aorund in the garden the other day when I disturbed an Old Lady Moth that flew up and settled in a nice position on a step near the house.
Old Lady Moth - Coverdale 13.09.2022
Old Lady Moth - Coverdale 13.09.2022

Friday 16th September.

A morning visit to my mom's during which I took the usual short wander around her local park. Despite some nice sunshine there was a definite autumn feel in the air with an underlying chilliness after a cold night but I still managed to count a good dozen Speckled Wood scattered around the usual spots. These were mostly males in various states of (dis)repair but there were also a couple of females in better condition.
Speckled Wood - Langley Hall 16.09.2022
I mentioned above that we have had some cold nights here and last night (Friday 16th) it went down to low single figures with the first grass frosts reported from some spots not far away.

Bye for now,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Some lovely Specklies there Neil :D 8) It does feel like this might be an 'early doors' season but perhaps we'll get a week or two of warm weather in October?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”