Advice needed: Butterfly in my house

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
kat08

Advice needed: Butterfly in my house

Post by kat08 »

Hi,
Firstly, I must confess that apart from appreciating the sight of a beautiful butterfly in my garden, I know very, very little about them, and the point has now come where I really need some advice and I was hoping one of you might be able to help.
Basically, the situation is that I found a butterfly in my house, on the inside of a little storage box that hardly ever gets used (it was hanging on the fabric cover on the inside - clever little thing, nice and warm and no draughts! :) ).
I was going to put it outside, but not sure if that is the right thing to do now that winter is approaching. So, this is where you come in - can you tell me if I should put it outside (I heard it move about a little yesterday afternoon, so it's not totally asleep), or if it is best to just leave it there (I would make sure it didn't get disturbed until spring-I am assuming they hybernate??).
If you think I should leave it inside, should I put some food out for it? If so, what would you suggest would be best? and when would it be time to let it outside again?
Thanks for any help you can give me with this dilema.
Kat :D
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: Advice needed: Butterfly in my house

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hi Kat - and welcome! This is quite a common situation since some of our butterflies hibernate, and typically find sheltered situations such as hollow trees, sheds, garages etc. to roost in.

The problem with keeping them indoors is that they can dry out over the winter as a result of, for example, central heating. Whereas an outdoor location tends to produce the moisture required (you just need to look at the dew on the ground, even in summer, to see how moist it is!).

So - the best thing to do is let the critter go, outside, on a sunny day (like today, where I am!). They'll soon warm up and fly off to a more-suitable location!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
kat08

Post by kat08 »

Thanks very much for your help Pete!
That makes sense, I will let him out as soon as all this rain and wind is over...yuck!!
Thanks again :D
KeynvorLogosenn

Post by KeynvorLogosenn »

I had a butterfly fly in my house a couple of weeks ago! And I let it go, the way I caught it was to put a box over it, and stick the lid under quickly, so much easier!

Mouse
ButterWild

Post by ButterWild »

Yes the best thing to do is to clasp your hands over it! so you can feel if your hurting it or not! but the best thing would be to let it out when its nice and warm out!

Return to “General”