Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Pauline

Re: Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Hi Neil

Just a quick response - yes, it is. It seems quite sheltered there and I saw more butterflies in 20 mins than I'd seen on Thorney in 2 days. I didn't explore very far as my car parking was due to run out but if you visit I would be really interested in what you find.
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Hi Pauline,
I think the little reserve you are referring to is Brook Meadow - well looked after and based around the River Ems a little chalk stream. See https://www.brookmeadow.org.uk/
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
David M

Post by David M »

Well done with the hummingbird hawk moths, Pauline. They're really tricky to photograph and I rarely bother because of that. Seen quite a few round my way lately so there's obviously been an influx from the continent this summer.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thanks for this Mark. How did I not know about this place????!!! It is tucked away behind Tesco but obviously holds loads of promise. I shall definitely be visiting in the coming months.

Thank you David. I just love these moths. In fact, I have just ordered a different type of Bedstraw in case the one I have isn't to their taste! :lol:

I have been trying to squeeze the most out of this season as it hasn't all been good for me on a personal level but today I had a quite incredible experience.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I have never before had the priviledge of standing in a field with dozens of Clouded Yellows flying around me and even if it was just 10-15mins (the rain brought the amazing spectacle to a premature end), it felt truly magical and was an experience I shall treasure. Massive thanks to the person who provided the directions. For much of the time it was all I could do just to stand and stare but as a couple of Helice came into view I realised I should probably get some shots:
P1300233ad.jpg
P1300225ad.jpg
P1300241ad.jpg
P1300248ad.jpg
P1300240ad.jpg
P1300234ad.jpg
P1300230ad.jpg
P1300238ad.jpg
SarahM

Post by SarahM »

Wow! That sounds like a wonderful experience Pauline. I am so happy for you as it sounds like you've had a tough time recently. Your photos are lovely, thanks for sharing.

Sarah
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you for your very kind words Sarah. I thought I must have been dreaming so despite the weather I went back for another look this morning. I wondered how the Clouded Yellows had fared given the overnight storms. A few were a bit frayed around the edges but many looked incredibly fresh. Whilst they sheltered during the showers they were extremely active in between times as the shots below show. I doubt I will ever have such an experience again and have seen more Clouded Yellows in the last 2 days than I have in the whole of my life. There must be hundreds in this field!
P1300293ad.jpg
P1300289ad.jpg
P1300298ad.jpg
P1300296ad.jpg
P1300301ad.jpg
P1300271ad.jpg
P1300314ad.jpg
P1300281ad.jpg
Sadly it wasn't long before my battery ran out and I had forgotten (in my haste) to pick up a spare :roll:
SarahM

Post by SarahM »

I would have gone back for another look too Pauline! I can't help wishing I had been there with you. I thought it was special seeing my first two, seeing hundreds must have been spectacular! It looks like you got very close to them, great photos again!

Sarah.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Same here !. I was looking at possibly hundreds of Clouded Yellows yesterday.
but from the wrong side of an electric fence, all I could do was to watch them
landing perfectly from distance. Great photo's.

Trevor.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Pauline, I see you made it with those Clouded Yellows :D I had to stop doing my jobs just to see if you'd found them :D great shots as well, you've had some fantastic shots this year but I think these out shine every thing :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Goldie :D
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I'm not surprised you went back, I certainly would've for a cloudie experience like the one you described :mrgreen:
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic shots Pauline :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: And here's a few for the Helice :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Sounds positively idyllic, Pauline. What a thrill that must have been - I doubt I've ever been surrounded by that many anywhere in Europe!

I presume, given the lustrous condition they appear to be in, that there has been a recent mass emergence? Hopefully the weather will stay reasonably clement so they can go on to successfully breed.

Nice that there is the occasional helice in there too. :mrgreen:
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Sarah. I have to be very close with my camera and with so many butterflies it wasn't difficult. If one disappeared then another 4 would take its place or I'd turn around and see another 7 or 8 flying close by. A couple of steps forward and I might spook 2 or 3 from the grass. Honestly, I have never known anything like it - certainly a once in a lifetime event for me :o And so close to home!!!!!! A couple more shots from yesterday:
P1300331ad.jpg
P1300355ad.jpg
I'm glad you like the photos Trevor. I can only imagine how frustrating that must have been. Thankfully I had no such barriers to contend with. My problems have all been weather related (wind and torrential rain) and as a result I have lots of photos of them roosting:
P1300383ad.jpg
You know how shocking I am with directions M. but thankfully the ones I was given were crystal clear (and I am still very grateful for them) which is just as well as I would never have stumbled across this field by accident. I'm pleased you like the images as I have a couple more to post:
P1300378ad.jpg
P1300364ad.jpg
Hi Paul - I'm definitely going to make the most of this but given the torrential storms it is hard to know how long I have. Grounded today waiting for a string of trademen to arrive but hope to get back at some point, even if it keeps raining. I keep telling myself that droplets of rain add something to an image ......... :roll: :lol:
P1300325ad.jpg
Cheers Wurzel - I haven't seen the Helice again but if I do I shall make sure I don't lose them this time. I was just so gobsmacked at the sight of them all ...........

I have no idea how long they might have been there David but it would be wonderful to find a mating pair (see, I'm never satisfied!!! :roll: :lol: ). I am also hoping to get another shot at the Helice but the weather around here is atrocious so how long they will last remains to be seen. Either way, it has been a magical experience and one I won't forget, and I know I keep thanking the person who guided me to them but I'm going to do it again - Big thank you!
P1300327ad.jpg
P1300359ad.jpg
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

That is an impressive number of Clouded Yellows you had there Pauline and some cracking photos of them, I have never experienced anything like that myself :mrgreen: :D
I guess they are the offspring of a number of females that found that area some weeks back for so many to be fresh like that.
David M wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:38 pm ...Hopefully the weather will stay reasonably clement so they can go on to successfully breed...
Hmm!...having just experiened a couple of days of it, I wouldn't call the current weather down there clement at all, reasonably or not :shock:

Cheers,

Neil.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

It's still coming down like stair rods here Neil and that's after yet another night of thunder and torrential rain here. I do wonder how long the butterflies can last in these conditions. I have been trying unsuccessfully to apply some restraint to the number of visits, but I am still so excited about these Clouded Yellows that I can't seem to stay away and grab any interlude in the weather to soak them up (excuse the pun :roll: :roll: ). Anyone who has had enough of them (how can anyone have enough of them!) had better look away now. I returned with the specific intention of re-finding those Helice CY - what I found was another 2! One of them was a much smaller butterfly than the previous 2 had been and the other was very fresh indeed. Both were difficult to keep up with but I was pleased to watch one of them egg-laying:
P1300451ad.jpg
P1300439ad.jpg
P1300404ad.jpg
P1300436ad.jpg
I had to take a bit of care when trying to follow them as there are still many in the grass and vegetation:
P1300433ad.jpg
Neither could I completely ignore the standard variety:
P1300409ad.jpg
P1300415ad.jpg
P1300392ad.jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Even the 'standard' ones are pretty stunning :shock: 8) It seems that everyone is seeing Helice now :mrgreen: - so hopefully I'll be able to join those ranks soon! :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Fantastic stuff, Pauline!

I’ve only seen two this year, so far, so I’m a bit envious of your sightings!
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Great to hear from you Mark and thank you for the compliment. Trust me - things like this just don't happen to me! It is wonderful to have so many of these almost on my doorstep, yet when I returned earlier today numbers seemed to be significantly reduced. I only counted about 15-18 in the couple of hours I was there so I don't know if the torrential rain of the last 4 days has had an impact or whether they are naturally dispersing. Strangely, as I was walking to the site I saw 3 or 4 fly past me and into distant fields which I haven't witnessed before. I did however see 3 Helice. 2 were on dandelions side by side and the 3rd was the one with the mark on its side. I focussed on the Helice as I have only ever seen 2 of these before. At times, the sky was quite dark, but in the absence of rain, this didn't seem to bother them:
P1300548ad.jpg
To add a bit of variation I experimented with some backlit shots:
P1300509ad.jpg
and of course there is always vegetation which gets in the way:
P1300489ad.jpg
P1300540ad.jpg
P1300542ad.jpg
P1300524ad.jpg
P1300494ad.jpg
P1300500ad.jpg
P1300477ad.jpg
P1300483ad.jpg
and of course the standard version:
P1300546ad.jpg
P1300460ad.jpg
P1300459ad.jpg
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Excellent, Pauline. If there is plenty of clover or similar plants, there is a good chance many more adults will emerge between now and mid October. So keep looking. And posting those pictures for us to enjoy! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :) :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”