Katrina

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Katrina

Re: Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thank you Wurzel
Thank you David. It was a joy for me to see too - a rare event a butterfly in my patio
Katrina

Anchor Bottom revisited

Post by Katrina »

This evening I went back to Anchor Bottom
The Adonis Blue females are now out.
I doubt they read this but just in case - thank you to the two ladies who pointed out the Autumn Ladies Tresses and the Red Star-thistles.
it was a bit breezy for photography but I was glad I got out.
Attachments
Small Copper
Small Copper
Adonis Blue male
Adonis Blue male
Adonis Blue female
Adonis Blue female
Katrina

Steyning

Post by Katrina »

I spent a couple of hours at Steyning this morning. I was surprised to have the place to myself
I found 2 Brown Hairstreaks and a pair of sunglasses by the blackthorn.
If they belong to you please contact me via the messaging on the website.
Attachments
DSC00873.jpeg
DSC00855.jpeg
DSC00877.jpeg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely set of Borstreak shots Katrina :D I've found this myself - after the first rush of fresh Brostreaks and having 'ticked' them off their list it seems some butterfliers give up on Brostreaks and so you end up with them all to yourself :shock: which is actually kinda cool 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

Lovely BH shot Katrina, much better condition than the one I found there.

Great stuff,
Trevor.
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Wurzel wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:42 pm Lovely set of Borstreak shots Katrina :D I've found this myself - after the first rush of fresh Brostreaks and having 'ticked' them off their list it seems some butterfliers give up on Brostreaks and so you end up with them all to yourself :shock: which is actually kinda cool 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Thank you Wurzel. Pros and cons of being there on your own for sure. Just pleased I spotted some.
trevor wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:28 pm Lovely BH shot Katrina, much better condition than the one I found there.

Great stuff,

Thank you Trevor. Luck of the draw. Haven’t seen many reports from Steyning this year - maybe all the butterfly enthusiasts have dispersed looking for LTBs
Trevor.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Love the Bortreak shot Katrina, I've not yet seen one :mrgreen: Goldie :D
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Goldie M wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:35 am Love the Bortreak shot Katrina, I've not yet seen one :mrgreen: Goldie :D
Thank you Goldie. They can be quite hard work on the time standing around per sighting front.
David M

Post by David M »

Katrina wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:59 pm...They can be quite hard work on the time standing around per sighting front.
Sure can, Katrina. Over the last 13 years I can fairly accurately measure my Brown Hairstreak female per hour ratio at 0.9:1

As you say, a lot of time standing around!
Katrina

Anchor and Egg

Post by Katrina »

I went to Anchor Bottom . I saw Clouded Yellows and Humming Bird Hawks moths. Both flying fast so I thought I would try with burst mode on the camera.
I saw 2 different HMHMs egg laying and with the second one decided to photograph the egg as it was less mobile! First HBHM egg I have seen
There were some fresh Adonis still.
The Autumn Ladies Tresses now seem quite widespread.
I saw a white what looked like a scabious to me. I stayed next to it in case an Adonis landed on fit or 5 mins but no joy.]
I was just lining up for a Clouded Yellow Helice shot when my camera flashed up "do you want to recover your data" -aagh fortunately it did save it - not sure what went wrong.
Seen were multiple HBHMs hard to tell how many but possibly 4 or 5. Clouded Yellows minimum 3 including on Helice. Adonis Blues, Common Blues , Small Heaths and Meadow Browns.
I went on to Whitehawk where I saw at least 2 LTBs - unfortunately the fresh one didn't stay long enough for a photo.
Attachments
HBHM
HBHM
Clouded Yellow
Clouded Yellow
HBHM
HBHM
Butterfly on ALT
Butterfly on ALT
Adonis on Eyebright
Adonis on Eyebright
Adonis female
Adonis female
Autumn Ladies Tresses
Autumn Ladies Tresses
White Scabious
White Scabious
Mating Adonis
Mating Adonis
HBHM egg first view
HBHM egg first view
HBHM egg second view
HBHM egg second view
LTB open wing
LTB open wing
LTB closed wing
LTB closed wing
Last edited by Katrina on Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Looks like you had more sun at anchor bottom than I did yesterday. I didn't see any HBHM or Cloudies but it stayed mostly overcast when I was there. Great shots of the Hawkmoths :D
Some addictions are good for the soul!
trevor

Post by trevor »

I imagine you will be using the burst shooting mode more often after that Cloudie shot :mrgreen: .
Your other shots indicate a great day out.

Trevor.
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Certainly did have sun. Didn't look promising when I left but by the end I was regretting not bringing my hat.

Certainly was worth a go in sunny weather with rapid butterflies but leaves you with a lot of deleting! Thanks again for the info re Herstmonceaux being closed.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Just love the shots of the HBHM Katrina and can't even begin to tell you how jealous I am of your photo of the egg!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Wow that is a lot of Mr Greens Pauline.
I saw it curling it’s abdomen round this plant and fortunately the egg wasn’t hard to spot or photograph as my egg shots often don’t turn out well. I tried to take some photos of where it was so if I get a chance I may go back.
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Pauline wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:45 pm Just love the shots of the HBHM Katrina and can't even begin to tell you how jealous I am of your photo of the egg!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
As above, I always think the HBHMs look like they shouldn’t be able to fly with big body and little wings
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Hi Katrina

If you knew how many hours I have spent on my hands and knees scrutinising my Bedstraw plants for possible eggs :roll: , well, 5 Mr Green's seems quite conservative :lol: . I'd loved to have seen that, would love to rear them, and would urge you to return if you can to see how it progresses. If you do, please let us know.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That is a great capture that Cloudy Katrina :D 8) :mrgreen: Love the Autumn Tresses too :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Great airborne shots of the hawk moth and the female Cloudie, Katrina. I've always used 'sports mode' but seeing your results, perhaps I should try 'burst mode' too! :mrgreen:

Thanks for posting the HBHM ovum. Never seen that before.
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thank you Wurzel, it was a lucky shot.
Thank you Pauline and David - I was just in the right place at the right time seeing them curving their bodies round to lay. The didn't seem to land but just seemed to manage while hovering.

Return to “Personal Diaries”