Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Pauline

Re: Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Cheers Wurzel - I was so focussed on the Map egg-laying I can't even remember you being there - apologies.

Thank you for your very kind words David - much appreciated.

I think that would be a great idea M if I had any wall space! May have to juggle a few things around.

Thank you Mike - you have been constant in assisting me with any photography issues since the early days and it is much appreciated.

Today I was all set for a visit to Old Winchester Hill but it is a 40 min drive, and y'know what, I just couldn't be bothered. 10 mins down the A3 I decided to pull over and take a walk over Oxenbourne and it was a big surprise that the first butterfly I saw was a pristime male Adonis. I have never seen them here before but I went on to see 4, quite different, males. I am not sure about females.

My main target was the SSS and it was a pleasure to see them so active. For the first time in many years I have more confidence that this little colony will survive. Many of the males were worn but several females were egg-laying and whilst I was enjoying the spectacle a very fresh, very large Clouded Yellow flew past. It was really easy to spend a couple of hours here in variable weather:
P1290901ad.jpg
P1290880ad.jpg
P1290870ad.jpg
P1290843ad.jpg
P1290851ad.jpg
P1290864ad.jpg
P1290802ad.jpg
P1290822ad.jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I was with the Maps a couple of days after you Pauline so you memory is still in good working order :wink: 8) Lovely to see those Silver-spots - the cutest butterfly in the UK this one 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

A lovely kaleidoscope of butterflies, Pauline :) If I were to dig very, very deep, I doubt that I could match half of those brilliant shots you have posted :) Perhaps you should also include some of your 'reared' shots.
David M

Post by David M »

Pauline wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:18 pm...Today I was all set for a visit to Old Winchester Hill but it is a 40 min drive, and y'know what, I just couldn't be bothered. 10 mins down the A3 I decided to pull over and take a walk over Oxenbourne and it was a big surprise that the first butterfly I saw was a pristime male Adonis. I have never seen them here before but I went on to see 4, quite different, males. I am not sure about females.

My main target was the SSS and it was a pleasure to see them so active. For the first time in many years I have more confidence that this little colony will survive. Many of the males were worn but several females were egg-laying and whilst I was enjoying the spectacle a very fresh, very large Clouded Yellow flew past. It was really easy to spend a couple of hours here in variable weather
Sounds positively serendipitous, Pauline. :mrgreen: Good decision made!
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

That's good to know Wurzel - I was starting to think early dementia had set in :wink: :lol:

I don't think for one minute that that is true Mike - you have taken some amazing shots and you are just being way too modest but thank you anyway. Re your suggestion about the 'reared' shots - I have already done it; all the immature stages, emerging butterflies etc, but I think I might save them for next season :)

Thank you David. It just goes to show that you don't always need to travel a great distance to see butterflies and always appreciate what is on your doorstep.

Today I stayed close to home with one of several visits to Noar Hill this season. It was very autumnal but despite the suitable conditions, butterflies were few and far between and my species count didn't even get into double figures. Having said that, and having searched for Brown Hairstreaks for 2 hours, suddenly 3 appeared at once and just as quickly disappeared again, all within 5 minutes! No photos sadly. A couple of lovely Commas posed alongside the Blackberries, another potential 'autumn' photo, but these also disappeared as soon as the camera was pointed in their direction. I did manage to grab a shot of a lovely fresh Painted Lady. In fact, I managed to do this with 2 different cameras and I would be interested in your opinions on both of them:
P1310462ad.jpg
P1290964ad.jpg
A few of the other shots taken:
P1290956ad.jpg
P1290947ad.jpg
A Kestrel eating something, a long way away ......
P1290943ad.jpg
P1290746ad.jpg
P1290957ad.jpg
P1290957ad.jpg (162.48 KiB) Viewed 1080 times
P1290931ad.jpg
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Well, I couldn't just let it go, could I? I mean, 3 Brown Hairstreaks and not a single shot!!!! Total shambles :lol: I'm not supposed to be out on Saturdays - but hey, I gave myself an hour off from mucking out and returned to the exact same spot. The weather was exactly the same, timing was exactly the same, and sure enough there was a BH waiting for me :D This time I had a little more success:
P1290976ad.jpg
Think you can just about see the egg in this one:
P1290973ad.jpg
but if not, here is one of the others:
P1300008ad.jpg
P1290977ad.jpg
and a few more shots from today:
P1300017ad.jpg
P1300020ad.jpg
P1300013ad.jpg
It was good to bump into you Nick - enjoyed our catch-up.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great set of Brostreaks Pauline :D I was tempted to head to Shipton but then I remembered about the Sled Dogs :shock: :roll: I think I prefer the second shot of the Painted Lady - I hope that was the correct choice :shock: :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Cheers Wurzel - worth going just to see those dogs; quite a spectacle (as long as you take ear plugs)! Appreciate your opinion on PL shots - no right or wrong answer but would be interested in your reasons?

A few days ago I was standing in my front garden when a really fresh moth literally dropped out of the trees onto the grass. I think it is Angle Shades:
P1290919ad.jpg
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

I think I prefer the first PL. A deeper, richer colour. Mind you, they’re both very good!

Having seen plenty of immigrants in early June, there have been very few home grown Painted Ladies.

Cheers, Mark.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

The problem with the Sled Dogs is that they always put their tents and kennels right up against the Main Hedge and the Brostreaks seem to know this so all sit there blowing raspberries at me :roll: :lol:
I went with the second one as it looked sharper and more defined, not quite as rich as the first but in the first the black wings tips seem to bleed into the shadows in the grass whereas the butterfly stands out proud on the second :D 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Brown Hairstreaks are utterly irresistible, Pauline. I'm not surprised you gave in to their lure again, and nice that you're seeing a few as they don't seem to be especially numerous this year.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Mark - I appreciate you taking the time to give me your opinion, along with your rationale.

Cheers Wurzel - the conclusion I am coming to is that there is not much to choose between them in terms of image quality (?) so perhaps I should be looking at some of the other features and capabilities.

It has been a bit of a struggle again this year David with the BH - I can only hope that this is just a 'blip' locally and not the start of a more serious decline of this species. I find myself comparing the situation to what it was 5 or 10 years ago (locally) and I know I am not alone in noticing the difference in numbers.

Several Commas seen today all enjoying the blackberries. Might pick a few myself when I next have time and together with the apples off my tree will make a nice pie :)
P1300093ad.jpg
P1300087ad.jpg
P1300068ad.jpg
P1300078ad.jpg
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

positively scrumptious Commas there :)
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Cheers Paul - very Autumnal, aren't they?

Today was probably my last visit to Oxenbourne this season. The SSS are definitely winding down with only a few females seen:
P1300119ad.jpg
There were quite a few tired looking Blues - Chalkhill, Common and Adonis, but some lovely fresh Adonis too, including females. A few shots from earlier:
P1300128ad.jpg
P1300160ad.jpg
P1300108ad.jpg
P1300161ad.jpg
P1300133ad.jpg
P1300148ad.jpg
P1300169ad.jpg
P1300114ad.jpg
P1300149ad.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

It must be wonderful seeing fresh Adonis Blues on the cusp of September, Pauline. I so wish we had them round here.

Commas do seem to love blackberries and that sight of them on the black (and red) fruits is a reminder that autumn is upon us.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Fantastic shots of the Comma's on the berries Pauline, really autumnish :D Goldie :D
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

It really was David, especially as I haven't seen them before on this site before until just recently, and only 10 mins away from me :D

Thank you M - the season is certainly nearing its end :(

It is not often that I post images of landscapes, and there's a very good reason for that - I'm not very good at them! I don't recall posting many entries without a butterfly shot either ......... but both of those are going to happen right now! I have just spent about 5 hours over 2 days walking around Thorney Island trying to find one of the many Clouded Yellows recently reported from there but without any success at all. Even worse, the number of butterfly species I saw I can count on one hand and the actual number of butterflies didn't even reach double figures - a couple of egg-laying Whites, a tatty Holly Blue and a couple of Meadow Browns just about sums it up. Still, it was a lovely walk (both days) in gorgeous Autumn weather and I saw my first ever Osprey - thanks to a couple of friendly birders who let me look through their scope! I visited the old, historic church but was saddened at the first inscription I saw on a grave stone which read ' born straight into the arms of the angels'. So sad - can't seem to get it out of my mind.
P1300200ad.jpg
P1300193ad.jpg
P1300195ad.jpg
P1300196ad.jpg
P1300179ad.jpg
P1300180ad.jpg
I stopped in Emsworth for some fish and chips on the way back and discovered a nature reserve that I hadn't known existed. The board at the entrance promised Kingfishers, Water Vole and butterflies amongst other things. I wasn't sure if it was out of date but chatting with a local with a camera confirmed that they do indeed have these as well as a 'lot of reptiles' that have recently been relocated there. I have promised myself a visit before too long.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking set of Electric Blues Pauline...sorry I mean Adonis (I still think my name is better :wink: ) :D I tried photographing them today but the wind that was supposed to be a 'gentle breeze' was chucking them about :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I agree with you on both accounts Wurzel - the name and the breeze :)

For the last couple of weeks or so I have had 2 HBHM in the garden several times daily. They usually appear together and whilst mostly on the Phlox, I have seen them nectar from just about everything else in the garden including the Everlasting Pea. I have been trying to get some shots of the 2 of them together, which is ridiculous when you think about it as getting a good shot of just one is usually beyond me! One is much bigger than the other so I am hoping that might indicate male and female. Several years ago I planted Bedstraw in the garden specifically for them. I have to stay in today for a turf delivery and then start laying it so I might take some time off to check those plants for eggs. Needle and haystack come to mind!!!
P1300224ad.jpg
P1300212ad.jpg
P1300214ad.jpg
P1300209ad.jpg
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Some great HBHM shots there Pauline. I've not actually seen one yet this year despite them apparently popping up all over the place up here.
Pauline wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:43 pm I stopped in Emsworth for some fish and chips on the way back and discovered a nature reserve that I hadn't known existed. The board at the entrance promised Kingfishers, Water Vole and butterflies amongst other things. I wasn't sure if it was out of date but chatting with a local with a camera confirmed that they do indeed have these as well as a 'lot of reptiles' that have recently been relocated there. I have promised myself a visit before too long.
Would that be the nature reserve by the car park behind the Tesco Express? If so we found that when we were down there last year and had a short wander around. It looked promising with some good habitat.

We are visiting our daughter in Emsworth for a couple of days next week although it looks as if the weather is going to be turning wet and windy.

Cheers,

Neil.

Return to “Personal Diaries”