Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Pauline

Re: Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Getting a wee bit closer but it's taking a bit of leg work this season:
P1290180ad.jpg
P1290177ad.jpg
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Today I finally caught up with them for some close encounters. They have been out for quite a while now and I have been watching them in the tree tops, even more elusive than usual. Frustratingly, I realised my first few shots were taken with the wrong camera setting. However, I quite like the result. You might have realised that I like a dark, dramatic background on my shots if possible. In this instance, I feel it demonstrates the secretive nature of the butterfly as it was tucked away, but the shaft of sun reveals its presence and beauty. Have I just had too much sun???????
P1290323ad.jpg
P1290324ad.jpg
P1290322ad.jpg
P1290331ad.jpg
P1290316ad.jpg
P1290338ad.jpg
P1290317ad.jpg
P1290324bd.jpg
Last edited by Pauline on Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking Brostreaks Pauline :D :mrgreen: - that's the time to find them when they're egg laying - they're much better behaved if you can stop them hiding behind twigs etc that is :roll: :lol:
Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

For your earlier Clouded Yellow images: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I hope a few will turn up on the coastline near me before long. Conditions seem ideal this week.

Nice how the orange forewing patch on the BHs shows up so vividly with your darker light settings, Pauline. Can't wait to see my local betulae, which I intend to try and do within the next week.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Cheers Wurzel - good luck for today.

Thank you David - I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Pleased you like my darker images. I was also delighted to see this as I scanned the Hemp Agrimony for Hairstreaks. Never seen one before and this time I am pretty confident in saying it is a Jersey Tiger moth:
P1290363ad.jpg
P1290346ad.jpg
P1290365ad.jpg
P1290352ad.jpg
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Beautiful Tiger Moth Pauline, bet you were pleased to find it :D Lovely shots of the Brown Hair Streaks, (Good luck this week) :D Goldie :D
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I like your darker-style images too. You could try using a touch of fill-in flash on some of the against-the-light images. I sometimes think flash is at its most useful in bright sunlight, where dark shadows can seem much 'blacker' than in reality. The Jersey Tiger shots are very nice too. My son was surprised to see one if these in his garden, close to the centre of Reading!

Mike
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thanks M. - a bit tense now; I'll be glad when Thursday's over. I'll let you know.

I'm really pleased to hear that Mike - I like something a bit different! I may well be in touch with you privately at some point about lighting when I have had time to experiment. It is quite astonishing to find a Jersey Tiger near the centre of Reading. I was surprised at the size of it :shock: I did see a similar sized moth, same shape, mostly white upperwing but red underneath. I spooked it before I could get a shot and still have no idea what it was.

Yesterday I visited another local site to see the SSS. It was difficult to establish exactly how many there were as they were extremely active. With two of us doing the counting in different areas I feel confident in saying there were about 20 which is the most I have seen here for many years. Great to watch, including a couple of females egg-laying but very difficult to photograph:
P1290433ad.jpg
P1290394ad.jpg
P1290442ad.jpg
P1290409ad.jpg
P1290421ad.jpg
P1290432ad.jpg
Don't know what this plant is called but it was certainly very popular with everything, perhaps because other nectar sources are drying up pretty fast:
P1290404ad.jpg
P1290397ad.jpg
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Your mystery plant is Carline Thistle, always a magnet for Chalkhill and second brood Adonis :)
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Hi Pauline
Those are indeed Robber Flies. I am pretty sure the first two are Hornet Robber Flies and the pair are Kite Tailed Robber Flies from what I can see but happy to be corrected! They seem to be having a good year as I have seen quite a few too including one in the garden waiting on a buddleia for its lunch.
Kind Regards
Mark
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I've never noticed that before Buggy - thanks for the ID :)

Thank you too Mark. I thought they were both Robber Flies but didn't know which ones. Those Hornet Robber Flies are fearsome looking beasts and seem to take quite large prey. I hadn't seen them before.

Today I spent a lovely couple of hours with my favourite butterfly and some good company (I'm calling it distraction therapy M.!!! :wink: :lol: ). Here's the results:
P1290446ad.jpg
P1290452ad.jpg
P1290465ad.jpg
P1290466ad.jpg
P1290468ad.jpg
P1290477ad.jpg
P1290465bd.jpg
P1290493ad.jpg
I saw the largest female BH I have ever seen, at least half as big again as the norm (and I have a witness :wink: ) but it disappeared before I could get 'proof'!
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Yes Pauline - I watched a Robber Fly take a Large Blue in mid flight at Daneway Banks a few years ago!
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Pauline. I don't know anything about Robber Flies but I do like your Brown Hairstreaks. Are those from Noar Hill?

I can't believe that it is getting on for a year ago since I met you down there, where has that time gone?

Cheers,

Neil.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Wow!!! That must have been some sight Mark :shock:

Forgive me Neil, I'm a bit stressed at the moment and I just don't recall, where did we meet? I'm pleased you like the Hairstreaks :)
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Lovely shots of the Brown Hairstreaks, Pauline, it would be nice if they were from Noar but I'm not holding my breath :) :lol:
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Lovely to hear from you Mike. Pleased you like my Hairstreak shots but very glad you are not holding your breath! :D Don't always comment :roll: but love reading your posts. Miss you both - the Hairstreak season is not the same without you!
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Pauline. It was the beginning of last September when we went down to visit our daughter in her then new house in Emsworth. We arranged to meet up and you showed me round Noar Hill although the weather was dull and drizzly. We then moved on to Oxenbourne where it brightened uo a bit later.

Sorry to hear you are feeling stressed, hope things ease up for you soon.

Cheers,

Neil.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Apologies Neil - my head has been all over the place this week, but hopefully the worst is over now. Now that you've jogged my memory I can remember it well. Not much at Noar Hill as I recall but a second brood Dingy at Oxenbourne which I didn't manage to get a photo of. We must do it again in better weather!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Brilliant shots Pauline - particularly the thrid one down 8) :D They're proving hard work at Shipton this year, especially in this heat :? Hopefully things will be more normal next week :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Cheers Wurzel - I agree it has not been easy this season. Desperate for some rain.

A brief, early walk on Noar Hill this morning - managed to photograph 2nd brood Duke but lost him after 2 shots. Couldn't find any 2nd brood Green Hairstreaks or Brown Hairstreaks or WLH (which have been seen there at this time in the past). Having spooked a Clouded Yellow 3 times :roll: , managed a distant shot but quite tatty. A few shots from earlier. I would be interested if anyone knows what the plant is - I can't remember seeing it before but it was very attractive; bit like a scabious with multiple heads.
P1290530ad.jpg
P1290536ad.jpg
P1290553ad.jpg
P1290549ad.jpg
P1290544ad.jpg
P1290546d.jpg
P1290547d.jpg

Return to “Personal Diaries”