How about one last Butterfly fix

Discussion forum for field trips and any other events.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: How about one last Butterfly fix

Post by Pete Eeles »

Susie wrote:Going by the silence I guess it must be too much for them to organise.
There is no "them" here :)

If you want to organize a mid-winter bash - go ahead! People can reply to anything you plan on organizing to register interest.

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Susie

Post by Susie »

Haha! I have organised enough forum events on other forums to know that they are nothing but a permanent headache :wink: So, I am quite happy to attend events but I leave the organisation up to "them" who want to do it.

Edit: the only exception being a meeting to see Brown Hairstreak next summer, if anyone is interested.
Denise

Post by Denise »

Hi Susie,
You have one on board! :D
I so want to be able to see them without my binoculars, and if I'm very lucky get a couple of decent photo's.
I go green with envy every time I look at Paul Kipling's BH photo.
If you get up one morning at BH season, and there is a tent on your lawn, it will be me :lol:
Can't wait to meet you.

Denise
Denise

Post by Denise »

wavelea1 wrote:Hi all

If there is enough support for a mid-winter gathering of the troops I reckon it should be as central to us all as possible - easily accessed and ........ how about an evening meal with the possibility of an overnight stop for the travellers.

Having conversed with many of you over these past few months faces to names would be good for next year.

Or is this just too much to organise????

Mike
Hi Mike,

If a total UKB meet can't be organized, I'm sure that Eccles would join me to meet up with you and anyone else in our area (or other areas if they want to join in) and have a meal and a pint, and a good old natter, at a local place.
Looking forward to meeting you.

Denise

Afterthought, we have quite a few members in the south west. Rogerdodge, Annie, Matsukaze, Simon C, Markatbath to name just a few.
wavelea1

Post by wavelea1 »

Yep

My thoughts exactly - by the way Denise the book is great, many thanks for the advice. However, watch the debate unfurling in 'identification' as there are loads of very similar skippers across Europe.

Perhaps a local coffee morning would not be out of the question? The guy from Somerset seems up for it.

Mike
KeynvorLogosenn

Post by KeynvorLogosenn »

I'm up for it!

Is there anywhere anyone knows of that is central with fast rail links from London?

Em
Denise

Post by Denise »

I just read the post by Matsukaze :oops: I really should read ALL the posts before I reply.
Central Bristol sounds good, easy to get to by public transport, lots of choice of where to eat. If your going to come Emily, we could make it lunch and meet you from Temple Meads train station.
Any one else up for a pre-christmas get together?

Denise
KeynvorLogosenn

Post by KeynvorLogosenn »

Sounds great to me!
Susie

Post by Susie »

Denise wrote:Hi Susie,
You have one on board! :D
I so want to be able to see them without my binoculars, and if I'm very lucky get a couple of decent photo's.
I go green with envy every time I look at Paul Kipling's BH photo.
If you get up one morning at BH season, and there is a tent on your lawn, it will be me :lol:
Can't wait to meet you.

Denise
Likewise. And you are welcome to camp on my lawn anytime. :D

Everytime I go out to the car (the blackthorn runs adjacent to the driveway) I can't help but count Brown Hairstreak eggs, especially now that the leaves are starting to drop. Now I know what I am looking for I am soooo excited about next year!
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Susie wrote:Everytime I go out to the car (the blackthorn runs adjacent to the driveway) I can't help but count Brown Hairstreak eggs, especially now that the leaves are starting to drop. Now I know what I am looking for I am soooo excited about next year!
Sounds great! Upper Thames branch tag their Brown Hairstreak egg finds with tie wraps (and number them). They then monitor *every* larva as it progresses to adulthood. This may add to the enjoyment (and allow you to find the larvae next year, since they don't wander very far - until they're ready to pupate).

Hope you send your records in to BC?!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Susie

Post by Susie »

I have just received my first Butterfly Conservation magazine and I was reading about Brown Hairstreak conservation work in Wales. They refer to hot spot sites having 40 eggs or more - I have almost that many eggs on the two bushes in the front garden I reckon! :mrgreen: Then again, I could be counting the same eggs more than once. :lol:

That is a very good idea regarding the tie wraps. I shall certainly do that.
Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

Susie wrote:
That is a very good idea regarding the tie wraps. I shall certainly do that.
Hi Susie,
White plastic insulating tape is an even better marker. It is easy to use and weatherproof. Whereabouts in the country are you? I would certainly welcome an opportunity to find some larvae and see the adults next year.

Tony.
Susie

Post by Susie »

I am in West Sussex. Obviously you aren't going to see larvae and adults at the same time so perhaps there should be two meetings. As there isn't much else here to do perhaps it would be worth combining a trip here to see Brown Hairstreak with one of the butterfly sites in the area. I will run this by someone who knows more about butterflies and their flight times than I do, perhaps we could do the last week in July and get the first of the Brown Hairstreaks and the last of the Purple Emperors. Anyway, watch this space, I'll post more next year.
Susie

Post by Susie »

mouse wrote:I'm up for it!

Is there anywhere anyone knows of that is central with fast rail links from London?

Em

How about thinking about that from the other way - central and with rail links from most places; LONDON! :lol:

Anyone fancy a winter London meet? How about somewhere like Kew Gardens? That is always a pleasant place for a wander around at any time of year. It's a shame the butterfly house at Syon has closed.
wavelea1

Post by wavelea1 »

Guess you're right Susie......... step to far

Perhaps a cuppa somewhere local early next year might be more acceptable to the crowd local to this area (where do you come from Susie?)

Mike
wavelea1

Post by wavelea1 »

Ignore previous Susie ..... I've just read the last input

Mike

Return to “Field Trips and Events”