Gegenes Skipper ID

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
BarrieS

Gegenes Skipper ID

Post by BarrieS »

After three long years I made my first trip abroad back to Bulgaria.
We visited a site in SW Bulgaria where I had seen Mediterranean Skipper on my previous trip.
Initially, I thought the butterfly in the attachment was this species, but after reviewing my image on the back of the camera I thought it may be Pygmy Skipper. Having now reviewed the image on my computer I believe the butterfly has the features that differentiate pumilio from nostrodamus. My image seems to have paler spots on the hind-wing underside and upperside, which do not occur in Nostradamus.
Would someone with experience of both species give me their opinion on the ID please.
Attachments
Gegenes skipper IMG_8181 copy.jpg
BarrieS

Re: Gegenes Skipper ID

Post by BarrieS »

My friend who accompanied me on this trip forwarded one of his images to Zdravko Kolev who has confirm the ID as Pygmy Skipper, and advised this is only the second site record - very pleased. :D

Thanks
Barrie
David M

Post by David M »

Glad you had it confirmed, Barrie, and an excellent result.

I've yet to see pumilio so I didn't feel qualified to pass judgement.
BarrieS

Post by BarrieS »

Thanks for the note David, i've since found the documentation relating to the confirmed discovery of the species in Bulgaria as recently 2013, and at our site.
I believe you are currently in Spain so I hope everything is in place for you. After reading your excellent tour/reccee reports over the summer, there must be a batch of exciting new Greenwings tours to look forward to next year. I'll catch up when you return.

Return to “Identification”