S.A.D?

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Re: S.A.D?

Post by Gruditch »

The fairer sex and maps, not a good combination. :lol:

Gruditch
KeynvorLogosenn

Post by KeynvorLogosenn »

:o Gruditch!

Personally I think it's just me and maps :lol:

Em
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

no :!:

Gruditch
Gwenhwyfar
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Gwenhwyfar »

Personally I think it's just me and maps

That makes two of us Em! Map reading always end up in tears with Gary shouting at me, so I solved the problem and got him a Sat Nav! :lol:
Last edited by Gwenhwyfar on Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Susie

Post by Susie »

I can read maps :wink:
KeynvorLogosenn

thats quite a good idea as they talk and tell you directions :) , however I don't fancy trekking through a river :lol:

I think I will just give up on a map, trek some where, then hope I can remember my exact way back :)

Em
KeynvorLogosenn

I can read maps
I used to be able to read maps, draw cross sections, work out distances. But it's just a flat piece of paper to me with lines on it I can't make out.

:evil: I went to grab the map from my brothers room, he was doing geography homework, and the cat has been sick on it :evil: And I realised the hard way as well. :evil:
I wondered what that awful smell was for the past week, not joking, it was a week ago, she was sick on his bed as well! :lol: I wouldn't blame her!

So looks like I won't take the map anyway! :|

Em
NickB

Post by NickB »

Terrible to suffer SAD like that; I think many people probably suffer but do not recognise it.

My fiancee is Finnish - and if I retire to the back of beyond in Finland (a vague plan - 2 times the number of butterflies in Finland compared to UK!!!) I have already thought about the Light Box solution to 22 hrs of dark. I'm sure that like Neil says, starting to set your OWN day-break and sun-set would give one back a "normal" routine. I had thought it must be possible to have one to slowly come-on (like a sunrise) when your alarm goes off and to have one slowly setting for going to bed....The theory remains to be tested, however! (How does JKT handle it?)
N
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
bugmadmark

Post by bugmadmark »

I know that there are definately products you can get to simulate sunrise and sunset - and supposedly compliment the main phototherapy boxes. Often called Dawn simulators - there is something on Wikipedia about this - and also a lot of info on SAD.

Circadian rhythums are biological phenomena that occur in animals, plants, fungi and cyanobacteria on an approximate daily 24-hour cycle. Circadia comes from the Latin circa, meaning "around" and diem/dies meaning "day" literally meaning "about 1 day". The fact that light can regulate the production of hormones which affect sleep/wake patterns, hibernation, reproduction in animals and mental wellbeing is fascinating. It's not just S.A.D. either - people travelling across several time zones are affected by 'Jet Lag' and Night / Shift workers are also affected.

Light sensitive cells in the retina of the eye send electrical signals to the pineal gland in the brain which in turn tell it when / when not to secrete melatonin. Melatonin increases at night time. Melatonin basically tells the body both the time and length of day/night. The latter is important in seasonal reproduction - e.g. the pineal gland in hamsters, sheep and horses is able to determine ratio of day to night length (photoperiod) and therfore which season it is. During darker, non breeding periods their gonads become inactive. In the case of jet lag - some people try to avoid this effect by taking melatonin close to the target bedtime.

I did read that in addition to the more common white phototherapy boxes for treating SAD, there is supposedly good evidence to suggest that blue light boxes are also very effective (not sure of the wavelength). This gets me to thinking - could your blue SAD light then be used in the warm summer evenings as a moth trap light - Hmmm any excuse to justify the expense!

Mark
KeynvorLogosenn

Hi Everyone

I went out for walk like people suggested! One of my cute little cats came with me, so we didn't get very far!

It was horrible and raining a bit, but I took my camera just in case! We came across this Hare!
hare.jpg
hare.jpg (138.72 KiB) Viewed 2315 times
and what is this Plant thing? Harry was sniffing it like mad!
weird orange thing.jpg
weird orange thing.jpg (209.99 KiB) Viewed 2319 times
When we got in he looked something like this! The picture is a bit blurry because he wouldn't stay still!
Harry.jpg
Harry.jpg (182.52 KiB) Viewed 2318 times
Here are a couple of pictures when he dried off and I have rubbed him with a towel!!
Harry Cheeky.jpg
Harry Cheeky.jpg (164.39 KiB) Viewed 2307 times
Harry Normal.jpg
Harry Normal.jpg (157.89 KiB) Viewed 2292 times
And when he was all playful afterwards
harry on my bed.jpg
harry on my bed.jpg (237.21 KiB) Viewed 2288 times
You have got to admit, he is very cute! And I have to admit, it works great, especially as I spent most of my time noticing things because Harry had found them! And laughing him as well, we didn't walk very far though, thinking about it I should have got a picture of him in action!

And just to be fair are a couple of my other cat called Mille, who is trained (well sort of) to help me out around the house.... clever kitty.
and here is me and Millie, I have only made her pupils darker as they go yellow with flash... mine never go red though :? I don't know why. Does anyone have an idea?
me and Millie.jpg
me and Millie.jpg (191.87 KiB) Viewed 2283 times
(I put my shirt on to mke me look smarter, but my hair was still wind swept :oops: )

And there you have it, a great time besides the weather, now Harry is asleep IN my bed. Bless him, I wore him out!

It certainly works :mrgreen:

Em
NickB

Post by NickB »

Mouse asked about the red plant which her cat was smelling:

Common name: Lords and Ladies - Arum family

http://www.naturegrid.org.uk/biodiversi ... parum.html

N
Interesting thing is one of the common names used (from above link ):

"Kitty come down the lane and jump up and kiss me."
Presumably cats are attracted by this....
KeynvorLogosenn

probably then! He was going mad over it! Licking it, hitting it with is paw and everything! It's better than catnip for him, no idea why!

Thanks for IDing it Nick, I haven't come across one of them before, I would have walked straight past if he hadn't taken an interetest :D

Em
bugmadmark

Post by bugmadmark »

Hi

Lords and ladies are also called Cuckoo-pint and Jack-in-the-Pulpitt - great British names. Very common woodland plants withthe spotted leaves and flowering head appearing in spring. The orange berries are always a welcome sight on the woodland floors at this time of year. The berries of this plant are extremely poisonous so try not to eat them ;-)
NickB

Post by NickB »

mouse wrote:probably then! He was going mad over it! Licking it, hitting it with is paw and everything! It's better than catnip for him, no idea why!
Em
Just a note of warning, Mouse, that it appears that Arum Lillies - "Kitty come down the lane and jump up and kiss me" - as well as being attractive, are also very poisonous to cats :evil:
(This apparently applies to ALL lillies)

Take care!
N
KeynvorLogosenn

Well, he appears to be okay at the moment and he was fine all last night. Bare in mind his stomach is made of steal I swear! He will eat anything.
Thanks for letting me know, I will keep an eye on him :)

Em
Shirley Roulston

Post by Shirley Roulston »

Hello Mouse,
I like your photos of your cat, I thought you'd like to see Rosy my dog and sooty, they are not allowed on the chairs but as soon as my back is turned there up to mischief and I caught them the other day both together on camera.
100_7627.jpg
100_7627.jpg (41.59 KiB) Viewed 2115 times
and Sooty in his flower pot.
100_7478.jpg
100_7478.jpg (110.66 KiB) Viewed 2115 times
Regards Shirley
I like your photo of a Hare, its not often they are seen.
KeynvorLogosenn

aww your cat is really sweet, so is Rosy the dog!

I thought hares where every where! or is it a rabbit?

Em
Shirley Roulston

Post by Shirley Roulston »

Hare's have got long ears, the one in your photo has so we'll call it a Hare. I forgot Sooty is a tabby. Regards Shirley
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I think it's a rabbit! :D Hares have black tips to their ears and they always look gangly and gaunt - never cute!!

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Emily,
Guyth wight, thath a WABBIT!
WABBIT.jpg
WABBIT.jpg (13.5 KiB) Viewed 2073 times
Neil

Return to “General”