Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
millerd

Re: Wurzel

Post by millerd »

Those pale Dukes are terrific, Wurzel. I've seen the odd lighter ones, but those beat them hollow. :mrgreen: :) That female Wall is none too shabby either, and getting a good shot against the bright white of the chalk is a tricky business too. :mrgreen: :)

Cheers,

Dave
trevor

Post by trevor »

A :mrgreen: from me for that female Wall, probably the finest specimen since Shipton B.

Trevor.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I have to agree with the others Wurzel - that's a smashing Wall Brown, a species I may well miss out on this season :mrgreen:
kevling

Post by kevling »

The nice thing about your diary is that we are still enjoying Dukes in late June. Cracking shots, especially the ab

Kind Regards
Kev
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D That Wall was tricky but for once not because it wouldn't sit still rather where it was sitting :roll: :lol:
Cheers Trevor :D She was all the more attractive because she just turned up so unexpectedly :shock: 8)
Cheers Pauline :D If you can get over to Shipton Bellinger at Brown Hairstreak time you should be able to pick one up there :D
Cheers Kev :D That is the nice thing about being behind with my PD, I get to relive all the cracking visits :D 8)

Martin Down 08-05-2022

After a successful if brief meet up with Philzoid and then moving on to get not only my first Duke of the year but an aberrant to boot on the Saturday when Sunday dawned I was eager for more. But my plans were foiled by the Etsy Maker Market which meant that instead of travailing a hill somewhere in the sun I’d be stuck indoors and worse still in the centre of Southampton. Once they opened the doors I settled down in a corner to catch up on some work and left the girls to wander and pore over various craft-ware items. I’d barely begun when the girls were back and we were going. I couldn’t believe it we’d only been in for about 30 minutes but they were done already and so instead we had a look around a few shops even calling in at John Lewis to partake of a free coffee and cake and then a quick whiz around Ikea and we were away home. As we drove back I couldn’t conceal my pleasure as I reckoned I could get a couple of hours at Martin Down…

It had reached the time of year when the top of the Dyke should hold plenty of Marshies and so I parked in the main car park instead of Sillen’s Lane and quickly strode along the narrow tracks from the car park and then down and up again across the ‘Bowl’. A few Dingies flew before me but I was eager to seek Marshies and so after a few shots I was away again and down into the Dyke. Once in the shelter of the Dyke I felt the temperature noticeably rise and the sun felt stronger than before as the warmth radiated back at me from the walls of the ditch. I started scanning left, in front, right, left again etc. and started noticing ever smaller movements almost as if I was focusing in. A Dingy was the first butterfly on the scene as is often the way but it was swiftly followed by a Small Copper. It was quite flighty but luckily it was so bright I could keep track of it against the verdant green background. Next up came a larger butterfly which glided effortlessly over the grass tops – my first Marshie. It was being hassled by a Small Copper and slightly further on I spotted another two Marshies jostling about at the end of this little section of the Dyke. At one point I left the Dyke and followed one of the Marshies as it made a break for freedom but it didn’t go very far. A passing cloud chose that exact moment to cover the sun stilling the Marshie and allowing me to get in nice and close. After a while the butterfly decided that leaving the Dyke wasn’t all it was cracked up to be and so floated back down into the depths. I followed it and spent some time just watching and enjoying occasionally stopping in for a shot or three, picking up at least another three Dingies as well as a Grizzlie and an Orange-tip passing through.
08-05-2022 1.JPG
08-05-2022 2.JPG
08-05-2022 3.JPG
08-05-2022 4.JPG
08-05-2022 5.JPG
08-05-2022 6.JPG
08-05-2022 7.JPG
08-05-2022 8.JPG
08-05-2022 9.JPG
08-05-2022 10.JPG
I could have stayed ensconced in the Dyke for the rest of the afternoon but at this time of year every second counts as you can never tell when the weather will be decent enough and there are a whole range of family commitments that loom large on the horizon so to make the most of it I unwillingly tore myself away and rose out the Dyke like a Grumpelstiltskin of old and headed for the Butts. Shortly my way was blocked as they’d moved he electric fence and sheep onto this part of the Dyke and so I had to forego the great little area for Small Blues to bimble along the top track, hoping all the while they next year they don’t move it to the area I’d found all the Marshies in? I wandered down into the field behind the Butts and found a female Small Blue which cheered me up again. At the far end of the field there was also a Grizzled Skipper but it was kind of ironic that two of the smallest butterflies should have such a large expanse of field to themselves.
08-05-2022 11.JPG
08-05-2022 12.JPG
I walked around and down into the thin turfed field on the other side of the Butts and rooted around the vegetation on the margins which turned up another Small Copper and a pair of Brimstones. The male was very insistent but the female was having none of it unfortunately and so I missed out on adding Brimstone to my In Cop collection again. Down along the main track I picked up various Grizzlies and Dingies as well as a Holly Blue and four Brimstones all flying en masse; three were males and the fourth was a very harried looking female. The scene was reminiscent of that played out on ponds and lakes when a group of drake Mallards viciously court a lone duck. A Green Hairstreak popped up and with a ‘nothing to see here’ led me into the cover of the half way point. Along the tiny stretch of path a Small Copper waited to greet me but didn’t hang around and at the end were both a Holly Blue and a Greenstreak on the last Bramble bush.
08-05-2022 13.JPG
08-05-2022 14.JPG
08-05-2022 15.JPG
It had been pretty good so far but I was slightly concerned that in the favourable conditions there was a distinct lack of Common Blue and Brown Argus? Normally I can tick those off either before or at the same time as Marshies yet here I was today still missing the more common of the triumvirate. To try and remedy this I decided the best thing to do was head towards the Butts and once the sun returned have a mooch around so once more I strode down into the Dyke and worked my way along only this time in reverse. There were more Dingies and a Small Copper (possibly the same as at the halfway point) and also a lovely dark Marshie which had both a fine dusting of white scales and small patches of wear in equal measure – it was more of a nearly new than a fresh out of the box job.
08-05-2022 16.JPG
08-05-2022 17.JPG
08-05-2022 18.JPG
The cloud that had joined me at the Half-way Point persisted all the way along the Dyke keeping everything else that I’d hoped to have seen in the Dyke hidden and so eventually I climbed to the top of the Butts and looked longingly for the sun from the summit. I looked back towards the car park spotted a Holly Blue below me. When I looked the other way I could see the sun creeping across the reserve and heading towards me so I climbed down and clung to the steep side of the Butt and awaited the Sun. When it arrived the Holly Blue started to open up and I clicked away.
08-05-2022 19.JPG
Chuffed I climbed back up and walked a little way along the top of the Butts and looked back down the way the sun had come. There was an orange flash which screamed out Small Copper and so having already risked life and limb for a Holly Blue I thought nothing off descending the Butts on the tiniest of steps cut into the steepest part of the bank. As I got near to where the Small Copper had was a sivler bullet hot out from nowhere and buzzed the Small Copper. My first Brown Argus of the year instantly reminding me of its belligerent nature. After a few shots it was off again to attack something bigger than itself but more successfully than the Bad Tempered Ladybird. In its wake was a Common Blue which I could only manage a few grab shots of before it fell onto the BA’s radar. As I stood and watched first this butterfly and then that appeared but all were singletons, not a brace did I see. After the BA and Common Blue came a Marshie – it too fell victim to the ire of the BA. It seemed that the BA was working up the scale as next a Brimstone took its turn to be pummelled by the chocolate orange ball of rage. Other singletons kept a low profile included a Dingy, a Grizzlie and hiding on the end a Small Heath.
08-05-2022 20.JPG
08-05-2022 21.JPG
08-05-2022 22.JPG
08-05-2022 23.JPG
08-05-2022 24.JPG
After this I rounded the corner of the Butts and made for the car park. In the first little scallop at the foot of the Butts I counted 3 Dingies and a Grizzlie before a massive block of cloud crept up on us unawares and stopped play as it hid the sun from view. Not too bad for an unexpected trip out of only 1 and ½ hours duration – 4 firsts for the year including some great Marshies!

Boisterous Marshies
‘Ere, look out here comes the Fuzz
And a singles club?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely Marsh shots Wurzel, :mrgreen: :mrgreen: wish we had some nearer to here :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D I feel the same about the Heaths :mrgreen: The way things are going with the 'Mystery Butterfly Dumper' you could well have some over there soon! :shock:

Sidbury Hill 14-05-2022

The Marshies were starting to fly and so when Dave suggested a meet up my thoughts initially went to The Hill. However recently I’ve found myself preferring the quiet of my Duke site which holds all of the same species as The Hill as well as being more reliable for Walls and Dukes and slightly easier on the knees and ankles. So it was agreed and I sent Dave off a hastily drawn map (possibly a little too hasty as I sent Dave along the bottom track eek! :oops: ) of how to get to the site and where to park and then I waited for the day to arrive, fingers crossed for favourably weather…

On the day the sun shone for most of the time with only the odd small cloud passing over and dulling things down momentarily and so we set off. It was still earlyish and the butterflies were just starting to wake up but in the little walk to and around the triangle we’d picked up two each of Dingy Skipper, Brown Argus and Small Heath as well as a nicely marked Grizzlie. After this we lopped back around to towards the main track but took the smaller, parallel and more vegetated track. As we wandered and chatted we were treated to the wonderful sight of a plethora of butterflies all busily interacting and making for a dizzying spectacle. Again there was a Brown Argus seeing off anything that had the temerity to come within a metre of it. A Small Copper went up and slightly further on a second showed itself whilst all around Dingies, Grizzlies and Small Heath got in each other’s way and even a Greenstreak got in on the fray. All of this from the start of the path and so it continued all the way along and round. It was almost too much and I didn’t know where to pint my lens first.
14-05-2022 1.JPG
14-05-2022 2.JPG
14-05-2022 3.JPG
We then set to working up the middle field making our way to the corner that the Dukes seem to prefer. The little path across the field about half way up its length came into its own as along its length I counted 8 Dingies and a brown Argus but the stars of the show were the brace of Dukes. The site certainly looked to be living up to its’ name as in the corner there was a third Duke as well as more Dingies and a few Greenstreaks. We completed three parts of the square when walking back towards the main track but stopped frequently as something or other presented itself to us and in this short stretch of path we racked up a Brown Argus, two Small Blues, three Common Blues a few Greenstreaks and a Grizzlie or two. But the star of the show waited for us on the corner, unusually sitting up at about chest height in a sapling – it was a fresh Duchess.
14-05-2022 4.JPG
14-05-2022 5.JPG
14-05-2022 6.JPG
14-05-2022 7.JPG
14-05-2022 8.JPG
14-05-2022 9.JPG
14-05-2022 10.JPG
14-05-2022 11.JPG
14-05-2022 12.JPG
14-05-2022 13.JPG
14-05-2022 14.JPG
We were only on the main track for a few steps and then we branched off to have a mooch around the gently sloping thin turfed area. Just like elsewhere there seemed to be butterflies everywhere and Brown Argus were particularly noticeable here – mainly because of the good growth of Rock Rose – and in a very short space of time I’d counted 6 which along with the two brilliantly fresh Small Coppers and Common Blue contrasted nicely with the more cryptically marked Dingies. With the temperature creeping up I was conscious that the Walls might get a little too flighty and so we pressed on up the stony, steep main track towards the crossroads. When we got there at least three Walls played hard to get, especially as they had an annoying habit of spooking each other. They were great to watch, nigh on impossible to photograph and so we carried on into the rings where hopefully the combination of the breeze and shade might make it slightly cooler and so they might be more compliant.
14-05-2022 15.JPG
14-05-2022 16.JPG
14-05-2022 17.JPG
14-05-2022 18.JPG
14-05-2022 19.JPG
The Rings proved to be as productive as ever eventually after a slow start with only a Wall and the ubiquitous Dingy showing. As the grass grew shorter and we started curving round the number and variety started to pick up. So much so that noting things down became increasingly difficult and meant that I was missing out on stuff. There were certain highlights that stuck in my memory…both Dave and I clinging to the steep inner side of the ring while attempting to photograph a Wall, watching a Small Blue having a pop at a Wall, the sight of something orangey that wasn’t a Wall but turned out to be a fresh Marshie and a Greenstreak looking a little lost at the very top of the hill when most of the literature suggests they like to hang around at the bottom of the slopes. The species list comprised of Common Blue, Dingies, Grizzlie, Greenstreak, Small Copper, Small Blue, Brown Argus, Small Heath, our first Marshie and at least 5 Walls. We continued on and climbed briefly out of the Rings and then back down as we worked along the Northmost part. After watching and adding a Green-veined White we eventually turned back as the wood was encroaching on the ring and the grass was short and lacking any wildflowers and the was a deep, rumbling lowing which was possibly the Highland Bull. There was much shouting and on our way back into the Rings where the Walls had been we could see why as there was the rest of the herd blocking our way back down. The shouting was the farmer who was trying to get them to head down for what looked like a salt lick or a feed with no luck, they provided us with a masterclass in ignoring.
14-05-2022 20.JPG
14-05-2022 21.JPG
14-05-2022 22.JPG
14-05-2022 23.JPG
14-05-2022 24.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Love the green Hair Streaks Wurzel , especially the very dark green shot :mrgreen: :D Goldie :D
trevor

Post by trevor »

Great, fresh, Marshie shots earlier. I think they were a little early this year,
and I was a bit late for them. A :mrgreen: for your GH on a stone, stunning shade of green.

Silly season is reaching peak,
Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D The Greenstreaks were mighty fine this year :D
Cheers Trevor :D With that Greenstreak it helped that it was on a blinding white background 8)

Sidbury Hill 14-05-2022 Part 2

When we were able to climb back down into the Ring the return journey produced a very similar list but with a female Wall and a brace of Walls acting much better behaved near the entrance. Then we wandered back down the track and on our way to the middle field called in at the Beech wood. I couldn’t see any Birds Nest Orchids and the White Helleborines were only just starting to show so it’s still a little early for these shade loving enthusiasts and we made our way back into the light and wandered along to the end corner beloved by the Dukes. Whilst we watched the smallest Brown Argus ever a Duke duly appeared and in amongst several Greenstreaks and Dingies Brimstone and Small White did a fly-by adding themselves to the tally. Then we worked back across to the middle path and spent some time with two Dukes that we relocated – at least I think they were the original two – they may have been new individuals?
14-05-2022 25.JPG
14-05-2022 26.JPG
14-05-2022 27.JPG
14-05-2022 28.JPG
14-05-2022 29.JPG
14-05-2022 30.JPG
14-05-2022 31.JPG
With the rest of the afternoon still to use we now turned our attentions to the main field and the surrounding environs. The well rutted track had collected some of the little rain that we’d had and was proving very popular with certain butterflies – a Small Blue, Small Heath and Dingy Skipper all partook of some salts while we stood and watched. In the grasses beyond we also found at least three Marshies – some were fresh out of the box, still gleaming as their wings finished drying but there was one old timer in the mix with a few knocks and bumps.
14-05-2022 32.JPG
14-05-2022 34.JPG
14-05-2022 35.JPG
14-05-2022 36.JPG
14-05-2022 37.JPG
14-05-2022 38.JPG
They found Dave's shirt very attractive.
They found Dave's shirt very attractive.
14-05-2022 40.JPG
14-05-2022 41.JPG
14-05-2022 42.JPG
14-05-2022 43.JPG
14-05-2022 44.JPG
The field also had a few Common Blues and Small Heath and at one point two Walls shot by as did an Orange-tip – another addition to the Tally. Once we’d crossed the site we reached the Triangle where it had all begun and now it was alive with Small Blues, a Marshie popped up and yet another Wall and the very first bit of ground held more of the same but with a few freshly emerged Adonis Blues – their electric blue looked stunning in the sunlight.
14-05-2022 46.JPG
14-05-2022 48.JPG
14-05-2022 49.JPG
14-05-2022 50.JPG
14-05-2022 51.JPG
Surprisingly time was still in plentiful supply and so we once again took the smaller, greener, parallel path which eventually joined the track with the ‘puddle’ and again it was buzzing with butterflies. Back by the puddle the Marshies were still flying in the field and then we turned our attentions to the puddle. Over the time we watched 4 different species showed up to take salts; a Dingy, Grizzlie and Small Heath as well as up to six Small Blues. They showed up at different times with only the Small Blue congregating en masse. It was a nice relaxing way to end the trip, crouched down in the sun watching the butterflies gathering a la animals round the waterhole. Eventually we tore ourselves away and made it back to the cars. And so ended a cracking trip, with cracking company and butterflies to a cracking site; cracking all round!
14-05-2022 52.JPG
14-05-2022 53.JPG
14-05-2022 54.JPG
14-05-2022 55.JPG
Sidbury Hillfort
Was alive with butterflies
A right cracking day!

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

That was indeed a really good day out, Wurzel, with a terrific array of butterflies. Every way we went another selection popped up and provided great opportunities. The stars I remember were the Green Hairstreaks, Marshies, and that posing Duke later on - plus all those Small Blues on the muddy puddle. I think I muttered darkly too often about the Walls to add them to the list... :)

Full marks to the M.o.D. for leaving these areas unspoiled - and many thanks to you for the guided tour! :)

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D Somehow I took a massive 1063 shots that day, the highest total for a long while since there was so much to see 8)

Vernditch 21-05-2022

I had made surreptitious plans to go to Fovant to check in and see how the Dukes were building but the best laid plans and all that…so instead we pulled into the car park at Vernditch. I didn’t mind too much as it might have meant that I could pick up a lost Marshie or maybe an Adonis? As we started up the hill the sun beamed down delightfully lighting the ever more verdant rides and there was the occasional moment when we’d be bathed in dappled light as the tallest of the trees bowed over the path to form an arch. Specklies were the order of the day with one right at the start of the track setting us off on the correct path. The second was by the fork in the tracks and it informed us that we needed to take the right fork. Further on a couple directed onwards at the crossroads and finally there was a Specklie by the gate into Kitts Grave enquiring if we’d had a good trip and wishing us luck on our further travels.
21-05-2022 1.JPG
21-05-2022 2.JPG
The woodland track was now shaded and the only traces of Bluebells and Ransoms were there bulbous green seed heads of the former and a faint whisper of garlic on the air. Birds called all around in a riotous cacophony which seemed to die to a whisper as we stepped once more into the sun as we left the wood behind and made our way along the path bordered by tall Brambles. This peace was only brief as the track was again swallowed up by woodland, the occasional break in the canopy and opportunity to both warm up and spy out any butterflies. The ubiquitous Specklies continued to dominate my tally with another couple at the edges of the first break in the trees but it was with frustration and elation in equal measure that I noted down the next species – my first Painted Lady of 2022 (joy!) which shot towards me and then disappeared up and over the trees (ahhhh!). At the next, slightly larger break a Grizzlie also played hard to get adding to my slight feeling of regret that I wasn’t on a hill somewhere surrounded by Dukes.

At the corner the girls wanted to try the new route back but then changed their minds and so we turned right and walked along the track that runs parallel to the Blandford Road. Of course a Specklie was on the corner and a Brimstone dashed past and on the Bank I watched a Greenstreak have a brief run-in with a Dingy before setting off purposefully towards the line of Bramble where I lost it from view. Further along the path another Painted Lady flew up and down, quartering the track, it went down for just long enough to confirm that the peach blur was indeed the very same species but as I carefully stalked in for a shot an aged Peacock put it up, sniggering like one of the Old Gits (Paul Whitehouse rather than Harry Enfield I think?) and so we carried on turning the next corner.

I realised that now my best chance of any butterflies lay before me and so I peeled my eyes even more than usual and scanned everything. The Gorse and Hawthorn had a distinct lack of any Greenstreaks or Holly Blues but a Brimstone flew in the distance leading me onwards. When the path opened up into the small field where I’ve previously found DGFs a female Common Blue fluttered about weakly whilst her prospective mate was acting much more frenetically slightly deeper into the field. For once the weather Gods smiled on me and a passing cloud drifted under the sun momentarily chilling the male out so I could reach in and grab a few shots. Once back on the path an aged Peacock played a game of chase with us and it put up a tiny butterfly. Judging by the size the only thing it could be was a Small Blue and after a few dizzying moments of watching it as it jinked about all over the place pulling its full repertoire of evasive manoeuvres I was able to get a few shots to confirm.
21-05-2022 3.JPG
21-05-2022 4.JPG
21-05-2022 5.JPG
Things had definitely picked up but I was still smarting slightly from the brief encounters with the Painted Ladies. More out of habit than judgement I ambled down the slope into the Valleys. At the first a Common Blue showed appreciable accelerative skills and then at the second I spied a larger, peach coloured butterfly – a Painted Lady. I didn’t dare hope that it would rest but the scattering of cloud that was building meant that there were periods of shade which calmed it somewhat. I got to within distance and it flew but not far. I made another approach and again it flew but this time it landed even closer and then in an effort to charge itself up it opened it wings wide. Click, click was the only noise I heard for how long I don’t recall; I was in another place where all I could see was the butterfly before me, drinking it in, my initial frustrations ebbing away. Eventually I zoomed out and carried on with the walk, a little self-satisfied glow putting a spring in my step. Painted Lady isn’t exactly a rarity but you can never really tell from one year to the next how many (or even if) you’ll see and you can’t go to a particular site looking for them so to find one whilst just out for a family walk was a massive bonus.
21-05-2022 6.JPG
21-05-2022 8.JPG
After that I added a few more things to the tally – a Grizzlie displaced a Dingy from the edge of the final valley, a Small Heath flew by the entrance to the Wood and of course there were Specklies a plenty showing us the way back to the car park. It’s great when things turn out unexpectedly for the better!
21-05-2022 9.JPG
21-05-2022 10.JPG
21-05-2022 11.JPG
21-05-2022 12.JPG
Specklies and the Blues
Main event; Painted Ladies
Nice tick on the list

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Seems I missed the deadline for July...

July 2022

Better late than never...
07 2022.jpg
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Whitesheet 22-05-2022

I arrived on site a fair bit later this year and as I crossed the car park crossed my fingers and hoped that the butterflies wouldn’t be too turbo charged having warmed up significantly as then getting underside shots would be next to impossible…

I risked a look up from watching my feet as I negotiated the steep and uneven track down the side of the Down and there was my first butterfly of the day – a Glannie. Brilliant, job done but now I needed to try and get a better set of photos. To this end I hung around the first bit of slope hoping that it was a male and so that it would come back to maintain its ‘territory’. As I wandered about and watched a Small White went by and a Painted Lady flew past at supersonic speed almost as if I was watching a film being fast forwarded. This initial Painted Lady was swiftly followed (not literally) by a second and this one paused for a brief refuel. The next butterflies on the tally were a brace of Greenstreaks which messed about at the top of the hedge while I was watering it. Needless to say I didn’t capture any shots of the two Greenies as I was somewhat indisposed…or should that be ‘exposed’?
22-05-2022 1.JPG
22-05-2022 2.JPG
I then set off to travail the hill following the tiny trackways created as the turf slowly succumbs to gravity and creeps down the hill. I guess this is why the Glannies have done well here, the slips and falls of the ground leave exposed areas in the chalk which new species can colonise including the larval food plant and there seemed to be plenty of Plantain about. Along the ways I spotted a Common Blue, Dingy Skippers and a few Small Heaths which tried to pitifully convince me that they were really Glannies. When the real deal showed up I could almost see the look of embarrassment on their faces. The Glannies did make a fine sight as they glided skillfully along the paths and tracks and then floated down to another prominent perching spot several ‘terraces’ below. They were also quite adept a illusion as I’d be watching one intently as it dropped but when I approached the perching place it would have disappeared only to fly up from out of nowhere when I got a little closer. Common sense got the better of my valour eventually as not wanting to risk breaking my neck I retired to the bottom of the hill and walked to field at the base of the hill where it curves round.
22-05-2022 3.JPG
As I started my way along the foot of the hill Adonis blues and the odd Brown Argus started appearing as the slope started to level out. I also spotted another couple of Glannies flying low by the hedge. A slightly darker Glannie turned out to actually be a Marshie when I got close enough to peer down the view finder at it. This kinda sums up how the fortunes of this species have changed over the last couple of years. When I first started I drove all the way to Hod Hill and if one was seen at Martin Down it had to be kept ‘hush, hush’. Now when one turns up after the initial flush of them at the start of their flight they only get a brief mention WINK. A Painted Lady also flew past and as it came in from the neighbouring field and shot up the side of the Down I guessed that it was a different individual from the two previously seen. Finally in this little bit before turning the corner a Small Copper popped up.
22-05-2022 4.JPG
As I rounded the corner and walked down the little rise with the field before me I entered into the Glannie Hotspot as there were at least 5 or 6 all flying about. It seemed that they all had a penchant for the same sort of resting/basking spot as I’d watch one as it would start to descend as if to land and then it would put up another that had already been resting/basking. I spent the next hour just wandering backwards and forwards, wending my way through the larger clumps of grass along the animal tracks which served as paths. The butterflies were quite skittish at times but I soon worked out how close I could get before I needed to really focus on slow, smooth movements, creeping in camera poised already clicking away and so I was able to get my fill. Among the Glannies there were also Small Heath, Dingies, Common Blues, Brown Argus and a single Small Blue. The Brambles in the hedge at the initial corner housed a few Greenstreaks which contrasted nicely with the Glannies what with them being smaller, sedentary and green.
22-05-2022 5.JPG
22-05-2022 6.JPG
22-05-2022 8.JPG
22-05-2022 9.JPG
22-05-2022 10.JPG
22-05-2022 11.JPG
22-05-2022 12.JPG
22-05-2022 13.JPG
22-05-2022 14.JPG
22-05-2022 15.JPG
I then bumped into Hugo Brooke from the local branch and we had a chat after which I got back to scanning the field for Glannies. I got onto plenty soon enough and noticed that as the day was wearing on they were showing a tendency to close up more. On previous visits I’d found them in the early morning when they’d be sitting with wings firmly closed before gradually opening up like petals of a flower when greeting the morning sun. Now as they approached the opposite time of the day they were doing the opposite. Perhaps they were getting too warm as the sun was high in the sky and so they offered up the more reflective and white under wings which absorbed heat less effectively? Or perhaps they were just knackered from racing about all morning? Who knows? I didn’t mind though as I though that closed wings shots would have been at a premium so I more than willing for them to carry on displaying this behavior. They also seemed to have dispersed slightly and my sightings were coming in waves of twos with increasing periods between sightings which were filled by Greenstreaks at the hedge, finding another Marshie which again was partially successful in avoiding my lens and also adding a Brimstone and Speckled Wood to the days tally. The little corner which was so popular with the Greenstreaks was also proving good for Glannies and it was here that I could go if I wanted a guaranteed shot of one.
22-05-2022 16.JPG
22-05-2022 17.JPG
22-05-2022 18.JPG
22-05-2022 19.JPG
22-05-2022 20.JPG
22-05-2022 21.JPG
Blazing over chalk
With their mystery origins
The Wiltshire Glanvilles

Have a goodun

Wurzel
jenks

Post by jenks »

Hi Wurzel,

Loved your report and photos of the Glannies on Whitesheet Hill. I must mark that as a place to visit next year. Your comment that " Greenstreaks messed about at the top of the hedge while I was watering it" stunned me. You watered the top of the hedge ? Have you adopted the persona of the jolly green giant ?

I have 3 days in the New Forest from Sunday so hopefully should get some good stuff there.

Jenks.
Wayne_Tucker

Post by Wayne_Tucker »

Top shots of the Glanvilles Rich, good work out for the ankles at Whitesheet :D
My Blog with more Butterflies, Patch, and holiday trips :D
https://newton-st-loe-birding.blogspot.com/
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Jenks :D I you need the inside track or directions just give me a shout :D "You watered the top of the hedge ? Have you adopted the persona of the jolly green giant ?" Ho, Ho,Ho! :wink: :lol:
Cheers Wayne :D And the calves, mine were burning on the drive home :shock: :D Speaking of which...

Whitesheet 22-05-2022 Part 2
22-05-2022 22.JPG
I was conscious that I wanted to have a bit more of a look around this year and so I forced myself away from the Hotspot and made my way back along the bottom track to where I’d started earlier. As I walked or rather stumbled along the baked rock-hard path a Glannie flew with me and a few greenstreaks played with a Green-veined White on one of the low but wide growing Bramble bushes. When I reached the part of the Down that I’d started at I kept walking, along the edge of a small bowl like depression and into the filed on the other side. As I walked a Glannie flew along parallel but slightly higher up the rolling field. A couple of Whites flew ahead of me in the distance and a Painted Lady shot past so quickly that I was just left with the impression of a peach coloured dart flying before my eyes. A slower moving, more tangerine butterfly resolved into a plucky male Orange-tip and the clumps of Bramble, like most others here, held a brace of Greenstreaks. A few Small Heath flitted about on the walk back and then I made for the next part that I needed to explore…
22-05-2022 23.JPG
I climbed up the steep bank and then turned right following up a much longer but more gently sloping track right to the top of the Hill and continued on as it wove round and along the ridge at the top. There are many old ‘pits’ here and at times I felt like a tightrope walker as I passed between them. I passed a Red Admiral on my way to the top of the ridge and the track arched around to the left, curving on its way to the very top yet ahead of me was a steep and tall wall of chalk and in the vegetation at the bottom of this arete a few Small Blue and Dingies flew occasionally landing precipitously on the exposed chalk of the ‘wall’. I stuck to the path and when I reached the top I spotted a Wall and after trying to follow it’s nigh impossible flights of fancy realised that part of the problem was that there were in fact two So I’d momentarily lose sight before picking up the second much further away or in a totally unexpected spot. Once I realised there were two getting shots became ever so slightly easier (if that is actually possible when it comes to Walls?) and I walked back down the hill to the car park hoping that I’d got something passable image wise.
22-05-2022 24.JPG
22-05-2022 25.JPG
22-05-2022 26.JPG
I then hit the high road and made for home but as I still had some time and also to avoid the dreaded stretch of the A303 I took the back roads via Shaftesbury which just happened to pass Fovant Badges…

After a pleasant bit of rally driving, cutting and slicing my way cross country I pulled into the lay-by and with the engine plinking as it cooled I hopped over the stile and strode purposefully into the Bowl. Almost immediately I found a Duke, and then another and another and another. It was brilliant, the Bowl could only be 5 or 6 metres across which meant there was a density of roughly 1 Duke per metre2! With about a minute of my time gone getting into the Bowl and marveling at the petty fiefdoms I then set to the photography. I don’t think I’ve enjoyed photographing a subject as much as this before they were a delight; throwing cheeky poses, looking cute one minute and then acting like an incandescent ball of rage the next. Occasionally they would leave the confines of the bottom of the bowl and fly a little way up the steep wall at the back and cling onto the tall grass stems that tumbled down over the sides of the tiny rills of the hill.
22-05-2022 27.JPG
22-05-2022 28.JPG
22-05-2022 29.JPG
22-05-2022 30.JPG
22-05-2022 31.JPG
My Duke time was interrupted and I was momentarily distracted by a Wall which dropped in and sampled few of the nectar sources before having a bit of a breather on a Bramble bush. The usually cryptic underwing looked mighty out of place against the deep green background but this did set off the chaos like pattern. Chuffed I got back to my Dukes and clicked away and clicked away without a care in the world. So absorbed was I that I felt like I’d been here for hours and so I pulled myself away with my memory card burgeoning and made it back to the car and home. The last bit of the journey I completed in record time and when I actually looked at the time later, whilst checking through the oodles of shots, I worked out that I’d only been at Fovant for about 17 minutes; so many Duke in so little time and in such little space – an awesome end to an awesome afternoon!
22-05-2022 32.JPG
22-05-2022 33.JPG
22-05-2022 34.JPG
Blazing over chalk
With their mystery origins
The Wiltshire Glanvilles

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Work 27-05-2022

Having been in work since 7:10 and what with the extended morning due to a long GCSE Exam when lunchtime came it felt like it should have been the end of the day. But no I still had two lessons to go on this, the last day of this term. So I forewent my lunch until the start of lesson 5 and grabbing my camera I went away off the fields.

The Pits was still empty – it shouldn’t be long until it’s filled with Marbled Whites and other Browns along with the golden Skippers but for now it is just part of the field that I have to get through to get where I’m going. As I broke through the trees on the corner the Specklie went up from an unseen perch and disappeared away over the hedge so I carried on. Some of the locals don’t seem to understand that the school field is actually private property instead treating it like their own personal dog park and so on top of having to avoid several piles of fresh dog mess I also had to shoo one aggressive mutt back to its owner. Growling and chuntering it slowly stalked back to its incompetent owners occasionally giving me backward glares. About half way along I happened to look down to my right in a small section of previously cleared ground which now abounds with grasses, nettles and Bugle and there sitting atop a spring of the aforementioned flower was an ominous dark triangle. As I leaned in closer I could see that it was a near immaculate Small Tort, a definite second/summer brood. After a few shots I left it to sort itself out and started back along the hedge only to have to shoo away the same, and now even more aggressive, dog from earlier. Once again the owners seemed oblivious to snarls, growls and darting forward teeth barred.
27-05-2022 1.JPG
27-05-2022 2.JPG
Once the dog had finally been put back on its leash (it would have been muzzled too if I’d had my way) I pressed on to the end of the field. When I reached the corner and scanned across the vegetation an orange and brown butterfly took off. I caught a glimpse of a brown diagonal strip across the fore wings and for a fraction of a second I thought I’d seen a very early Hedge Brown/Gatekeeper. Then I started running through what I was seeing a little more closely; it was too early for Hedgies, it was too large, it was too orange, it was flying with little hops and glides, it buzzed me and then it fell into place - it was a Wall! I couldn’t believe it I’d never have expected to find one here, it must have got lost and ended up here form on of the surrounding Downs. To think this was a species that before I’d wonder how I’d get to see one, hoping to find one to tick it off as I didn’t know any assured sites for it and here was one on a 20 minute walk during my lunch break on a school field, brilliant. I clicked away as it sat on the path looking at me and orientating itself to catch the sun.
27-05-2022 3.JPG
27-05-2022 4.JPG
27-05-2022 5.JPG
27-05-2022 6.JPG
On the return journey I was mighty chuffed at my brief encounter and there was also an absence of dog so I travelled much more quickly than on the way out. I did pause to relocate the Small Tort which was tentatively opening up, possibly for one of the first times and nearer to the corner a Small Heath popped up and settled a few times posing for some unobstructed shots but my thoughts were still on the First for the Site sighting of the Wall.
27-05-2022 7.JPG
27-05-2022 8.JPG
A Wall Brown at work
Not sure what it’s doing here
Wall on the list, yay!

Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

Good to read of a Wall at your work.
From what I have seen in recent years Wall Browns are pretty widespread in Wilts.

A great find, given the location.
Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Trevor :D It's always nice to add something to the Site List, I just hope that they show up again - it would be nice to have such a handy, reliable site :wink: :D

Mottisfont 28-05-2022

It was the day of K’s Birthday treat (well another one as there was a visit to London Baby planned for later) and surprisingly she chose to visit Mottisfont for a wander and a picnic. I never know what this little National Trust site will hold but this visit turned out to be one of contrasts. The weather was being very contrary- cool and cloudy one minute and glaring sun with its warmth the next and this was equalled by the butterflies. For them it was a case of old and new, the established to the newcomers to the ever growing site list…
Once we’d arrived and gotten through the gates we made directly for the Rose Garden so it was over the bridge and along the upward sloping main path; a white fluttered across the main lawn and then all became quiet. It seemed like the world and his wife had had the same idea and progress around the paths was slow as people would stop and not just admire a certain Rose but go into a massive discourse on its history and keeping. Somehow we got stuck behind the slowest and more knowledgeable persons and it wasn’t a gentle stroll more like a snails’ pace creep. As we came to the final corner on the fourth quarter garden I spotted a White and when we eventually entered the end garden there was a distant Common Blue to greet me.
28-05-2022 1.JPG
Things were a bit easier in this garden as the paths were wider and more numerous and I wasn’t hemmed in as in the formal Rose Quarters. The narrow path from one corner to the other along the wall was closed off which was a shame as in the past this had been a good hunting ground as you could creep up on the butterflies unawares. So I made do with sticking to the other paths and trackways through the floral maze. Butterfly numbers had started to pick up and I counted three whites – all Smalls from the size of them and also managed to relocate the Common Blue in a more sensible range. As I finished taking its photo I looked up and did a scan along the flower bed parallel to the wall and in the corner was a ‘white’. It wasn’t yellow enough for the usual suspects and in the blur of wings it took on a tangerine cream hue…As I got closer in I saw that it was a male Orange-tip still going strong.
28-05-2022 2.JPG
28-05-2022 3.JPG
28-05-2022 4.JPG
After we’d departed from the sheltered confines of the Walled Garden and eaten lunch we walked out across the meadows. The National Trust had opened up a new bit of the meadow and so we could walk right to the end of the estate and back around to the join the river path. A few whites flew by and something shot up from the path in front of me. It landed a small way ahead of me and after a careful stalk it turned out to be a Small Copper. Slightly further on a Large White was flapping about on the wrong side of the fence which left me wondering if I’d ever get a shot of this species in 2022? Reaching the end of the field we carried on as it curved back when I spied a couple of largish butterflies up ahead. I leaned in to the closer of the two and it was a ragged and old Small Tort. After a few shots I looked up for the second butterfly – which wasn’t the expected Small tort but was in fact a Marsh Fritillary. The fringes may have been abraded away and there were patches of wear but it was still a welcome and unexpected sight! In a slight daze of disbelief I first clicked away and then wandered on bumping into a brace of Small Torts when the path joined that which led onto the riverside walk.
28-05-2022 5.JPG
28-05-2022 6.JPG
28-05-2022 7.JPG
28-05-2022 8.JPG
28-05-2022 9.JPG
28-05-2022 10.JPG
After the river path came the main lawn and as I strode across to the bank of the Ha-ha I spotted a Common Blue and also a very worn Dingy, another first for the site, before I re-joined the others. They decided to have a bit of a breather so I had 10 minutes or so to investigate the Ha-ha in a bit more detail. As I started picking my way carefully along the bottom of the Ha-ha I again found the Common Blue which was still pretty skittish. There were plenty of Burnet Companion Moths as well which made trying to relocate the Dingy more difficult. I’d practically fell over it earlier but now that I wanted to find it again it must have sensed my intentions and was playing hard to get. I consoled myself by following my first Meadow Brown of the year as it darted this way and that, diving into cover and at one point haranguing my second Meadow Brown. After a bit of a spiral scuffle they broke apart and I think I continued following the initial brown? My time was slipping away and so I retraced my carefully picked steps back adding a Mother Shipton to the list and finally relocating the Dingy. As a reward for my patience it sat nicely posed, calmed by the passing cloud.
28-05-2022 11.JPG
28-05-2022 12.JPG
28-05-2022 13.JPG
28-05-2022 14.JPG
28-05-2022 15.JPG
28-05-2022 16.JPG
28-05-2022 17.JPG
28-05-2022 18.JPG
After this we visited the house and then followed the streamside path from the font all the way down to the main bridge. The cloud remained steadfast and unmoving which kept the butterflies at bay apart from a solitary Specklie. I watched as if chanced its arm and flew across the river just above the water and risking death by Trout.
Good old Mottisfont
Firsts for the year and the site
Yay, Marshies fly here!

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”