dilettante

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: dilettante

Post by Wurzel »

Great set of images Dilettante :D Particularly fine Small Blues with the delicate dusting and your Brown Argus looks good for ab.snelleri (if you're into this sort of thing :wink: ) :D 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
dilettante

Post by dilettante »

Belated thanks David M and Wurzel. It never occurred to me it was an aberration, but I can see what you mean. Not the most stunning of ab.s!

28th May 2022

I was back on the Broads (my in-laws live locally) looking for Swallowtails. Not many had been reported this year, we'd not seen any on a trip to How Hill the previous day, and today was cloudier and cooler. Nevertheless we went to Strumpshaw Fen RSPB and set off round the trail.

There were not many butterflies of any sort, but a nice Drinker moth larva, and a few Small Tortoiseshells and a good-condition Red Admiral

Drinker moth larva

Small Tortoiseshell

Red Admiral

We also enjoyed watching the Marsh Harriers

Marsh Harrier

Marsh Harrier with unwilling passenger

By the time we got back to the start at the RSPB reception, we sat down for lunch at the picnic bench. Someone spotted a Swallowtail over the reeds, and soon enough, the sun made an appearance and it flew in to the flowers nearby. It only stopped for less than a minute before the sun went in and it flew off, but a beautiful and satisfying sight all the same.

Swallowtail

Swallowtail

Swallowtail

We headed over the Potter Heigham end of Hickling Broad, where I'd seen Swallowtails last year, but the flowers were not as advanced as the previous year at that spot, so there wasn't much to attract them even if they had been inclined to be flying. They weren't :-)

There were lots of 'woolly bears' though.

Garden Tiger moth larva
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking images of the Swallowtail Dilettante :D :mrgreen: I don;t know about you but they seem to be able to suspend time as they fill up your viewfinder :D 8) Pretty smart Marsh Harriers too 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Glad that Swallowtail dropped in for you, dilettante, albeit briefly.

Love that second Marsh Harrier shot in particular. :mrgreen:
dilettante

Post by dilettante »

Thanks again Wurzel and David M

Thursday 9th June I saw my first, rather early, Ringlet while walking the dog in nearby

Ringlet

We stopped to buy some garden flowers on the way home, which we planted on Friday, and I was pleased to see a Large Skipper availing itself of the marigolds the next day. It made rather a nice photo

Satruday 11th June

Large Skipper

I also visited Trumpington Meadows NR, Cambridge in the afternoon. Nice to see Small Blues still in good numbers, and a couple of Marbled Whites. It was quite windy, so no photographs of those, but these Banded Demoiselles posed nicely. There were loads of them, but they were easily disturbed - those big eyes obviously serve them well.

Banded Demoiselle male

Banded Demoiselle female

Monday 13th June

A trip to my favourite local site at Therfield Heath near Royston. A few Dark Green Fritillaries around, and quite a few of Marbled Whites, but both were pretty active so I didn't bother chasing them for photos. The knapweed and thistles that DGFs favour aren't yet much in flower, so they weren't stopping to feed much that I saw.
I did come across this Marbled White. I'm not sure if it had just emerged and waiting to fully 'inflate' its wings, or whether they had failed to fully unfold.

Marbled White

And this Adonis Blue (rather late in the season?) was quite cooperative. From being unknown at this site a few years ago, they seem to be doing well and can be seen across a wide area.

Adonis Blue

Adonis Blue

Doing rather less well was this sad-looking Common Blue (I assume!), but it still looked like it fancied its chances

Common Blue
David M

Post by David M »

Love the dragonflies and Adonis Blue, dilettante, and in spite of the state he's in, I love that icarus as well. Goodness knows how many fights he's been in - I'm struggling to recall seeing one in such bedraggled condition.
dilettante

dilettante

Post by dilettante »

17-27th June 2022, Devon

I'm just back from 10 days in Devon - one week staying in Lynton on the North coast, and a few days on the edge of Dartmoor in the South. It wasn't specifically a butterflying trip, but I took what opportunities came my way while out and about.

19th June - Valley of Rocks, Lynton. Having seen a few orange flashes fly past in the windy grey conditions the day before, I returned in better weather and found a good number of Dark Green Fritillaries in good condition, and frequently basking in the sunshine. I'm not sure why the first one looks so luminous, but it's rather lovely!

Dark Green Fritillary, Lynton, Devon 19-Jun-2022

I was also pleased with a couple of nice bird shots

Stonechat, Lynton, Devon 19-Jun-2022

Linnet, Lynton, Devon 19-Jun-2022

21st June

Since it wasn't far away, I wanted to see the Heath Fritillaries on Exmoor, and decided to follow the guidance from the National Trust about Bin Combe https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/holnic ... tterflying. Phrases like "This one is tough, very tough. The habitat is tall, dense bracken on steep slopes where there are no paths" and "Keep a look out for adders here", and "There is a vague path at first but once you pass a rock outcrop, near the start of the woodland, the path vanishes. Don't worry, this is normal for Bin Combe" made me decide to leave the dog and family behind and tackle this one alone.

I found the start of the route, and descended into the steep combe. It wasn't long before I spotted one or two Heath Fritllaries, although they weren't numerous, and were past their prime.

Heath Fritillary, Bin Combe, Devon 21-Jun-2022

The weather was quite hot, especially in the shelter of the valley. I was wearing full length trousers and shirt with everything tucked in for fear of ticks, and getting quite hot in the strenuous bracken-bashing terrain. Then I noticed my water bottle was missing and must have fallen out of my bag goodness knows where. I tried to retrace my steps but couldn't find it, and started to think this was a bad idea: to be alone on Exmoor off the beaten path, no phone signal, no food or water, and terrain where it would be easy to twist an ankle or worse. I decided to keep going, and luckily came across my water bottle. The further I went down the valley, the more lost I became. The bracken was high, the tracks non-existent, the terrain steeper and rougher. A startled a Red Deer that must have been sleeping in the bracken, and it startled me! I was seeing the occasional Heath Fritillary, and a rather lovely Dark Green Fritillary

Dark Green Fritillary, Bin Combe, Devon 21-Jun-2022

Dark Green Fritillary, Bin Combe, Devon 21-Jun-2022

but I was starting to feel anxious about how to get out and back onto a proper path. I'd sunk into marsh mud near the stream so my feet were soaking, and I'd bashed my knee falling into a hole near a hidden rock. In short, I was not enjoying the experience and decided it was a foolhardy venture, and wanted out. I couldn't decide whether to keep going or try to retrace my steps to go back the way I had come, but eventually hit a proper track and looped back up towards the start. I passed a Heath Frit on the path, and a Green Hairstreak or two. I finally got back on the the road where I'd parked, and walked towards the car. I was just texting my wife to let her know I was safely on my way, when something caught my eye and landed in the road ahead of me - another Heath Fritillary well out of its domain. If I'd known I could have seen one from the road, I could have saved myself a lot of bother! It was flying quite weakly and looked a bit tatty, so I suspect it was on its last legs and had been blown up the valley, but it posed quite nicely.

I think the NT guide had it right: "Bin Combe walk, extreme butterflying"

A few other butterflies seen during the holiday. Of course the expected browns and whites, torts and admirals. I was surprised at the number and freshness of some Green Hairstreaks

Green Hairstreak, Lynton, Devon 23-Jun-2022

In South Devon, near Coleton Fishacre NT, there were a few Silver-Washed Fritillaries, and nice to see a few Small Coppers

Small Copper, Coleton Fischacre, Devon 26-Jun-2022
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking set of shots Dilettante - the DGFs practically jump out of the screen :shock: 8) :mrgreen: Great to see the Heaths as well,I need to get to see them again next year :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Great selection, dilettante, especially the Green Hairstreak - you can make out the individual scales!!
dilettante

Post by dilettante »

Thanks again Wurzel and David M.

Saturday 1st July 2022

I was in Hampshire visiting family, so I went in the morning with my brother to Broxhead Common for Silver-studded Blues. It was quite breezy and a little overcast but warm enough. The first one we found was a nice fresh male

Silver-studded Blue, Broxhead Common, Hants. 1-Jul-2022

Most others were in less good condition than that, and there were quite a few females around

In the afternoon, we headed over to Chiddingfold (Oaken Wood). As we arrived, we were shown to a Purple Emperor that had been on the path apparently for a long time. Regrettably it was doing what they usually do, getting stuck into something disgusting that even a lot of vignetting can't disguise, and it was in the shade, so not great for photographs.

Purple Emperor, Chiddingfold, Surrey. 1-Jul-2022

Purple Emperor, Chiddingfold, Surrey. 1-Jul-2022

White Admirals were around too, mostly quite tatty and not much inclined to settle. Small Skippers and Silver-Washed Fritillaries were a bit more compliant

Small Skipper, Chiddingfold, Surrey. 1-Jul-2022

Silver-Washed Fritillary, Chiddingfold, Surrey. 1-Jul-2022

There was a new brood Wood White, which wouldn't settle, and my first Gatekeepers of the year

Gatekeeper, Chiddingfold, Surrey. 1-Jul-2022
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Lovely shots from Broxhead Dilettante - one of my nearest sites. Don't know if you're into birds but a Roller was seen there a few years ago.
David M

Post by David M »

Great selection again, dilettante. Shame about the Emperor's choice of sustenance but at least you had one on the ground!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I was looking forward to having a butchers at some Purple on your PD Dilettante but for some reason I can only see the 'image' icon :? - are your photos on the link (pbase?)?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
dilettante

Post by dilettante »

Wurzel wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:14 pm for some reason I can only see the 'image' icon :? - are your photos on the link (pbase?)?
That's odd. It works for me even in an incognito window so I don't think it's a permissions issue. Perhaps just a pbase blip
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I think it must have been the permissions on my work laptop - I've swapped to my personal one and I can see the images now - mind you they're so good perhaps I wish I couldn't :wink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: The detail on the Emperor is fantastic - brilliant job to catch all the orange scales costa and the the edges of the wings 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
dilettante

Post by dilettante »

Thanks Wurzel!
dilettante

Post by dilettante »

12th July 2022

A fresh Peacock - one of many - on my dog walk this morning, plus a Holly Blue

Peacock, Cambs, 12-Jul-2022

Holly Blue, Cambs, 12-Jul-2022

In the 30C heat of the overcast afternoon, I went to Therfield Heath for CHBs. Lots of males about, and a few females

Chalk Hill Blue male, Herts, 12-Jul-2022

Chalk Hill Blue female, Herts, 12-Jul-2022

And a feamle Brown Argus, I think

Brown Argus, Herts, 12-Jul-2022

Gatekeeper, Herts, 12-Jul-2022
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

More great shots Dilettante :D Hopefully this heat doesn't cause the butterflies to disappear too quickly :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
dilettante

Post by dilettante »

Thanks Wurzel.

The butterflies certainly seem to be enjoying the heat round here. It was nice to see a fresh Painted Lady this morning alongside the Peacocks and Skippers

Painted Lady female, Cambs, 13-Jul-2022
David M

Post by David M »

What a feast of colour for the eyes, dilettante. :mrgreen:

Beautiful images.

Return to “Personal Diaries”