Neil Freeman

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Pauline

Re: Neil Freeman

Post by Pauline »

That's a very striking Painted Lady Neil, and I have to ask, those Hornet moths, what sort of size are they? I'd love to see one.
trevor

Post by trevor »

It would be a brave man who would handle a Hornet Moth to demonstrate they are harmless.
The mimicry is incredible !.

Trevor.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Wurzel, Pauline and Trevor :D

There are two similar species of Hornet Moth, the Hornet Moth itself and the Lunar Hornet Moth (LHM) which is the species I have the lure for. The Hornet Moth is the largest and more localised species, I do not have the lure for this one yet, maybe next year. Although the slightly smaller species, the LHM is still a good size, think of something like a Queen Wasp, so you can imagine the phsycological effect they can have.
If you want to try any of these lures for Clearwings, you can get them from here https://www.angleps.com/pheromones.php Over the past few years, pheromone lures have been proving many of these species to be a lot more widespread than previously thought.

Wednesday 22nd June - morning

With Jane going over to spend the day with her Mom, I was off the leash for the whole day with enough time to venture a little further than I have been able to do of late, so I decided to head to Oversley Wood down by Alcester. This would normally be a 40-45 minute drive but today took a good hour with some surprisingly heavy traffic, probably a result of the rail strike with more people using their cars.

Anyway, I arrived just after 10.00 with the car display already showing 21 degrees and set off around the main track which circles the wood. Large numbers of Meadow Browns and Ringlets were both fluttering around the grassy sides of the path along with a few Large Skippers. I arrived at one of the first large bramble patches and seeing a Silver-washed Fritillary, my first this year, flying back and forth over it, I decided to stick around this spot for a bit and see if it would settle. It was soon joined by a second male and between chasing each other about, they both settled occasionally on the bramble flowers albeit briefly and usually in the worst position for photos.

A White Admiral soon joined them and flitted back and forth before going up and over into the wood at the back of the patch.

I then made my way slowly around the circuit, stopping every time I spotted a SWF or White Admiral to watch where they went. In the warm sun they were very active and both species could be in front of you one minute and then with a flick of their wings would be disappearing around the next bend in the track.
I reckon I ended up seeing maybe 10-12 Silver-washed Fritillaries, all fresh looking males, and 7-9 White Admirals. I eventually managed to get a few photos by lurking around likely looking bramble patches although they were mostly grab shots as both species only touched down briefly and fidgeted about when they did.
Silver-washed Fritillary - Oversley Wood 22.06.2022
White Admiral - Oversley Wood 22.06.2022
Other butterflies seen during the couple of hours that I spent here included half a dozen Red Admirals and a couple of Painted Ladies.
Red Admiral -  Oversley Wood 22.06.2022
Red Admiral - Oversley Wood 22.06.2022
Painted Lady - Oversley Wood 22.06.2022
I was the wrong side of the sun to one of the Painted Ladies but at least this enabled me to get a ‘Wurzel style stained glass’ shot.
A few Speckled Woods, a couple of Marbled Whites and a single Small Tortoiseshell completed the roster of butterflies for this morning. No sign of a Purple Emperor here yet but I reckon the first sighting will be any day now.

After spending a good couple of hours here I decided to carry on to somewhere else.

To be continued…

Neil.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thanks for that info Neil and the link. It is something that I am really keen to try at some point (when time allows!).
David M

Post by David M »

Beautiful White Admirals and SWFs, Neil. This is a great time of year when you get a good weather day.

Hope you find your Emperors soon.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Your'e welcome Pauline. Like many things in this hobby, these fascinating little creatures can become quite addictive.

Thanks David. They must be due any day now, the first one was reported in Northamptonshire the other day.

Wednesday 22nd June – afternoon.

I left the car park at Oversley Wood and headed back through Alcester and picked up the A422 to head for Grafton Wood. About 15 minutes later I pulled into the parking spot by Grafton Flyford Church then walked through the farm and across the fields to the Wood.
Along the way I saw loads of Meadow Browns, Ringlets and a few Large Skippers and Marbled Whites, all ceaselessly fluttering about in the warm sunshine.
On entering the wood itself I carried on along the path heading for the point in the middle of the wood where it intersects the main ride and then turned south, looking for my main reason for coming here, Wood Whites, a species I had not seen for a few years now. These are the result of a successful (re)introduction in 2018 that was carried out by West Midlands BC as part of the branch’s Wood White Project. Since then, good numbers have been reported each year and although It was now getting on a bit in their flight period, I had seen that they were still flying both here and elsewhere in Worcestershire.
Looking north along the southern part of the main ride.
Looking north along the southern part of the main ride.
By now, some summer clouds had built up although they were only moving slowly in the light wind and doing little to reduce the heat. I soon spotted a few Wood Whites fluttering along the edges of the ride and tried to keep my eye on one or two for when one of the clouds slid across the sun and induced them to settle. In the end I saw maybe between 12-15, mostly past their best now, but a few were not looking too bad, and managed to get a few photos although they would insist on settling low down making it difficult to get a shot without various grass and plant stems in the way.
Wood White - Grafton Wood 22.06.2022
At one point I watched a male chase after a female and they went down in the vegetation followed by a bit of antennae tapping, but the female wasn’t responsive and he soon gave up and carried on his way.
Wood White pair - Grafton Wood 22.06.2022
Wood White pair - Grafton Wood 22.06.2022
Other butterflies seen were pretty much the same as earlier at Oversley, albeit with just three SWF here but a few more (10-12) White Admirals. I didn’t bother trying to take any photos of any of these as they were far too active in the sun and I was concentrating on the Wood Whites when the occasional cloud came over.

By around 2.00pm it was getting quite warm and humid and I began to feel that I had done enough for the day so I made my way back to the car and headed for home.

Bye for now,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A cracking read and shots Neil - love the closed wing Silver-washed and the stained glass Painted Lady (of course :wink: ) :D 8) and especially the Wood Whites :mrgreen: - I just wish someone would introduce them a little nearer to me :? Also thanks for the link - I'll be looking into that during the 'close season' :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Nice to know the reintroduction seems to be working, Neil. Looks like perfect habitat for them too.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Wurzel wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:53 pm ... I just wish someone would introduce them a little nearer to me...
Oh! how often have I thought that about so many species that are found down south. Even the muppet(s) that are going around spreading Marshies and Glanvilles all over the place only seem to be doing it in the southern counties :roll:

Thanks David. A lot of work has gone into improving the habitat at Grafton Wood, as well as a number of other woods in the West Midlands, especially for this species. Of course, this work usually benefits other species as well.

I ran my moth trap in the garden again on the night of Wednesday 22nd and with clearing skies leading to a drop in overnight temperature compared to the warm nights of the previous week, the result was a corresponding drop in numbers. Nevertherless, 101 macros of 22 species and 50 of 15 micros fpr a total of 151 moths of 38 species was still quite good for my urban garden. Most of these were the usual suspects for the time of year but I did have another new species for my garden with a striking Scarce Silver-lines.
Scarce Silver-lines - Coverdale 22.06.2022
This past weekend has been mostly dull and cloudy and quite windy. There were a few brief spells of sunshine, just long enough for me to see a couple of Speckled Wood and singles of Ringlet and Comma being blown through the garden.

As I write this on Monday morning it is raining alhtough it is forecast to be clearing up around mid-day and the rest of the week is supposed to be 'changeable'...so I suppose that means we could have anything

Bye for now,

Neil
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Neil, every time I look at your post you come up with a lovely Moth :D I love the colour, mint green I think this one :D I did see a Humming Bird Hawk Moth in EBW but it was too far a way for a good shot , not like the one I got in my Garden unfortunately , It was great to watch though :D Goldie :D
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Goldie, glad you like the moths :D .

There seem to be quite few HBHM around this year although I have yet to see one myself.

Cheers,

Neil.
David M

Post by David M »

Neil Freeman wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:11 am...Most of these were the usual suspects for the time of year but I did have another new species for my garden with a striking Scarce Silver-lines.
Striking indeed, Neil. That's a beautiful moth and one I haven't seen before.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks David. First time I had seen one too and I was a bit surprised at it's size, bigger than I expected which made it all the more impressive.

Thursday 30th June.

A combination of mostly wet and windy weather on Monday and Tuesday and then some family stuff on Wednesday has meant that I had not seen many butterflies so far this week. A couple of Speckled Wood were in the garden when I got back in later on Wednesday when I also spotted a single Ringlet and Meadow Brown.
After a chilly start, Thursday morning soon warmed up and with just a light breeze I decided to have a walk down to my local spot by Wagon Lane.
Leaving the house just before 10.30am I cast my eye over the buddleia in the front garden and spotted a Painted Lady. I took my camera out of its bag and fired off a few shots as it shuffled about on the flower spike.
Painted Lady - Coverdale 30.06.2022

I then carried on down to Wagon Lane to see what was about. The first meadow area that had been cut down a few weeks back was still largely devoid of butterflies with just a couple of Ringlets and Small Tortoiseshells on a large bank of brambles along the edge. Carrying on through to the other areas, I soon started to see many more butterflies, mostly lots of Ringlets and Meadow Browns with more Small Tortoiseshells.
Ringlet - Wagon Lane 30.06.2022
Small Tortoiseshell - Wagon Lane 30.06.2022
Small Tortoiseshell - Wagon Lane 30.06.2022
Small Skippers are now outnumbering the Large Skippers with most of the latter seen today now looking worn and faded. No Essex Skippers here yet.
Small Skipper - Wagon Lane 30.06.2022

A couple of speckled Wood and a few distant unidentified ‘whites’ completed the tally for the morning.

Through the morning, cloud had gradually been building up and by mid afternoon we were once more sitting under a dull grey overcast. Overnight, we have had some heavy rain and as I write this on Friday morning it is still cloudy. The forecasts for the weekend are for a mix of sunshine and showers so we could get anything…we’ll see.

Bye for now,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That is a beautifully marked Small Tort - those swarthy looking ones always ping out of the screen :D 8) Great shots of the Painted Lady too 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Cheers Wurzel. There are some lovely fresh Small Tortoiseshells around at the moment :D

Saturday (2nd June) was a washout here, leaden grey skies and a steady drizzle all morning that turned into heavier rain in the afternoon before finally clearing around 5.00pm to give us clear skies overnight.

After a cool start, Sunday began with a nice sunny morning but the clouds soon returned until by mid-morning we were once more sitting under a blanket overcast. During the afternoon, a few very occasional breaks in the clouds allowed the sun to peek through and I spotted a couple of male Speckled Wood in their usual spots.
Speckled Wood - Coverdale 03.07.2022
Speckled Wood - Coverdale 03.07.2022
A couple of Green-veined Whites, at least one of each sex, also came passing through.
Green-veined White - Coverdale 03.07.2022
This morning (Monday) is looking quite pleasant at the moment (08.30am) but I can see a large bank of cloud that is steadily heading our way again and the forecast for the next few days is showing lots more cloud for us here. At least it doesn't look like we will be getting much more rain this week.

Bye for now,

Neil.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

That's a very striking moth Neil. Likewise, your Painted Lady is so very vibrant. I saw one today but much more faded. I think my favourite is that Speckled Wood - looks so rich and velvety. Keep 'em coming :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I'm becoming more and more enamoured with those lucious yellow Green-veined Whites Neil - a most satisfying butterfly to see 8) :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Pauline. Some nice new Specklies appearing now, one coming up next.

Cheers Wurzel. Yes, those GVWs are lovely butterflies but you need to get a fresh one for that yellow colour, they fade so quickly.

Monday 4th July.

Today started off quite reasonable with some nice early sun, but as I mentioned in my last post, a bank of cloud soon moved in and by 09.00am we were once again under a layer of cloud with just a few brighter spells through the morning. These were enough however for the male Green-veined White from the day before to re-appear, I guess the weather had not been good enough for him to wander far.
Green-veined White male - Coverdale 04.07.2022
Green-veined White male - Coverdale 04.07.2022
Despite the lack of sun, the garden Specklies also became more active as the air warmed up through the morning with one new male joining the two more worn individuals from yesterday.
Speckled Wood male - Coverdale 04.07.2022
Speckled Wood male - Coverdale 04.07.2022
After having a sandwich at midday I decided to wander down to my local spot by Wagon Lane. In truth, I needed to go there to get some sallow to feed my Eyed Hawk Moth larvae that hatched out last week from the eggs left me by the female that came to my moth trap (more to come on these in due course). I do have a small sallow in the garden that I planted last year but it is still small and won’t last long if I use it to feed these caterpillars and there is plenty at Wagon Lane.

Anyway, before collecting the sallow, I wandered around my usual circuit and with some increasingly lengthy sunny spells, saw plenty of butterflies, mostly Ringlets and Meadow Browns but with at least a couple of dozen Small Tortoiseshells and half a dozen new summer Commas.
Small Tortoiseshell - Wagon Lane 04.07.2021
Comma - Wagon Lane 04.07.2021
A few Large Skippers are still around and Small Skippers were everywhere with quite a few females now appearing.
Small Skipper - Wagon Lane 04.07.2021
Small Skipper female - Wagon Lane 04.07.2021
Small Skipper female - Wagon Lane 04.07.2021
Whenever possible I tried to get close enough to the Small Skippers to either get a view of the underside of the antennae tips or check the sex brand on the males and was rewarded finally when I found my first Essex Skipper of the year.
Essex Skipper - Wagon Lane 04.07.2021
Essex Skipper - Wagon Lane 04.07.2021
Essex Skipper - Wagon Lane 04.07.202
Essex Skipper - Wagon Lane 04.07.202
A number of whites were seen restlessly patrolling with the few that I manged to see close enough all looking to be Green-veined Whites.

In the end, a pleasant hour or so on a day that turned out better than it had looked like it was going to be earlier in the morning.

Bye for now,

Neil.
David M

Post by David M »

Loving those Green Veined Whites, Neil; they're beautifully marked.

Nice, crisp images of the Small and Essex Skippers too.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks David. Some more Skippers coming up in the next report.

Cheers,

Neil.

Return to “Personal Diaries”