June 2022

Discussion forum for sightings.
millerd

Re: June 2022

Post by millerd »

Ian Pratt wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:01 am Is this a small or Essex skipper, please?
Hi, Ian.

My guess is that this is an Essex Skipper: it is a male butterfly by the shape of its abdomen, and the sex brand on the forewings is very faint and what you can see looks parallel to the forewing edge rather than angled inwards (as in Small Skippers). Though you can't see the underside of the antennae for a definitive answer, there doesn't seem to be any hint of anything other than black there.

Happy to be corrected - I've been wrong a few times on this one! :)

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

millerd wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:09 amHappy to be corrected - I've been wrong a few times on this one!
No need for any correction this time, Dave.

100% Essex.
zigzag_wanderer

Post by zigzag_wanderer »

Allan.W. wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:58 pm Thanks for that Zig-Zag ! it made my day ....................a fitting end to our first weeks holiday .........Well pleased ! Your moth is a Box tree moth ,dark form . We visited Old Lodge .....Brilliant reserve ,a bit early for some hoped for Dragonflies but did see all 3 variations of female Small Red
Damselfly + a Raft Spider ,Redstarts and Tree Pipit..................Will definately be going back !
Regards Allan.W.
Cheers as always for the ID Allan. I've seen photos of the standard Box Tree but didn't realise there was a dark form. My formal manicured topiary (just out of sight in any other snaps from my garden) may be in danger ;-)

Old Lodge is a fantastic place. I hope you saw the Konik ponies too.
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

I have bumped into a number of UKB’ers on my travels and especially in Emperor season and they will also have encountered Flossie the ‘Emperor dog’
She is my constant companion at this time of the year and can’t wait to get into the woods to see what we can find. She is very aware of the protocols necessary when emperoring and will dutifully sit when we encounter a subject, although the look of resignation on her face as I make her wait whilst I take a few photographs is always a delight. She has even had one land on her back, though I am not sure she was completely impressed!
Today we went to Alice Holt Forest, where unfortunately Flossie sustained an Adder bite last year and was seriously poorly. Consequently she is a little more circumspect these days but we were lucky enough to find a number of grounded Emperors and she ‘stood guard’ while I snapped away.
One I am sure Guy will appreciate.
Kind Regards
Mark
Attachments
Find No1
Find No1
Didn’t have to sit for this one!
Didn’t have to sit for this one!
Flossie on guard
Flossie on guard
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Good to see you again today Mark but even nicer to see Flossie - she never fails to impress me :D - Oh, and the photos aren't too bad either :wink: :lol:
PhilBJohnson

Post by PhilBJohnson »

A Summer Generation of Whites are Coming

A Green-veined White, (being of a similar size to a Small White), was thought to life cycle, at about the same speed as a Small White.
June 18th 2022 near Lincoln
June 18th 2022 near Lincoln
Sorry, no matching pairs for me, today!
We left these two undisturbed, not posing them for a clearer photo, so might I get a BC point?

Kind Regards,
Kind Regards,
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

David M wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:15 pm
millerd wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:09 amHappy to be corrected - I've been wrong a few times on this one!
No need for any correction this time, Dave.

100% Essex.
Thank you.
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

millerd wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:09 am
Ian Pratt wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:01 am Is this a small or Essex skipper, please?
Hi, Ian.

My guess is that this is an Essex Skipper: it is a male butterfly by the shape of its abdomen, and the sex brand on the forewings is very faint and what you can see looks parallel to the forewing edge rather than angled inwards (as in Small Skippers). Though you can't see the underside of the antennae for a definitive answer, there doesn't seem to be any hint of anything other than black there.

Dave
Thank you.
aeshna5

Post by aeshna5 »

Decided to go to Bookham yesterday. Forecast showed sunny intervals so was dismayed when I had heavy dark cloud for the whole journey from west London to there & remained stubbornly overcast on arrival.

In the first 30 minutes I'd flushed a single Meadow Brown.

With the lack of sunshine had other wildlife to watch- a female Roe Deer, Buzzard, plenty of Greenfinches 7 Goldfinches on Bayfield Plain & several Nettle Tap on a Hogweed umbel. Bullfinch was heard & away from her a female collecting nest material from the main path.

The sun did eventually show with increasingly sunny intervals. In the end recorded:

c40 Ringlet
2 Speckled Wood
c20 Meadow Brown
2 Large Skipper
5 Small Skipper
2 Red Admiral
10 Comma (2 egg laying on nettles)
9 White Admiral (1 ab. obliterae)
2 Purple Emperor
9 Silver-washed Fritillary
Purple Hairstreak (suspect blustery conditions keeping them down)
Small White
4 Small/Green-veined White

Not many Odonata with male Emperor, immature Southern Hawker, 4 Black-tailed Skimmer, male Beautiful Demoiselle & a single Blue-tailed Damselfly.

Couple of nice longhorn beetles- Rutpela maculata & Stictoleptura scutellata-both on Hogweed.
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

I am finding that the odonata are very thin on the ground this year. Is that the same experience of others?
adrian riley

Post by adrian riley »

millerd wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:09 am
Hi, Ian.

Dave
Hi, Dave
I have just zoomed in on the image and the tips of the antennae are black. So definitely Essex. Well done.
Cheers, Ade
downland boy

Post by downland boy »

Mating pair of White Admiral on 24/6/2022, East Sussex.
Details of the event on my blog.

http://eastsussexwanderer.blogspot.co.uk
Attachments
White Admiral (mating) 24.6.2022 East Sussex. Nigel Kemp.JPG
peterc

Post by peterc »

A couple of dark Comma specimens yesterday and today in the Knebworth Woods.

ATB
Peter
Attachments
Comma Knebworth Woods 29Jun22
Comma Knebworth Woods 29Jun22
Comma ab reichstettensis Knebworth Woods 28Jun22
Comma ab reichstettensis Knebworth Woods 28Jun22
millerd

Post by millerd »

That's a splendid ab., Peter. :)

My first second brood Brown Argus seen locally today (following the recent Holly and Common Blues)...
BA2 290622.JPG
BA1 290622.JPG
...and a second brood Small Copper at Staines Moor.
SC1 290622.JPG
Dave
David M

Post by David M »

peterc wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:12 pmA couple of dark Comma specimens yesterday and today in the Knebworth Woods.
That second one's a peach, Peter. :mrgreen:
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

First Chalkhill Blues had emerged at Lydden in Kent yesterday, along with lots of Marbled Whites.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Never seen Chalkhill Blues in June before!
Attachments
12612DD5-DE6E-43E6-BDFD-98A89C77629F.jpeg
peterc

Post by peterc »

David M wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:42 pm
peterc wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:12 pmA couple of dark Comma specimens yesterday and today in the Knebworth Woods.
That second one's a peach, Peter. :mrgreen:
Thanks, David. I got very lucky with that one.
Peter
millerd

Post by millerd »

essexbuzzard wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:48 pm First Chalkhill Blues had emerged at Lydden in Kent yesterday, along with lots of Marbled Whites.
This post prompted me to pop down to Denbies Hillside this morning (30th). Despite predominantly overcast skies, Chalkhill Blues (all males) were around in double figures, possibly even higher as new individuals seemed to be emerging all the time. If this is just the start of their season, it could be another bumper year for the species. I noticed a wide variation in size, from not much bigger than a Brown Argus to Ringlet dimensions. Here's a taster.
ChB2 300622.JPG
ChB1 300622.JPG
Dave
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Hi Dave, I understand half a dozen were seen there (Denbies) on 22 June which seems incredibly early. My local site is an early one and usually produces the goods at the end of June but this year I have so far been too busy to check!

Return to “Sightings”