Norfolk sightings.

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
SarahM

Norfolk sightings.

Post by SarahM »

We had a great time in Norfolk and were amazed how much wildlife there was. Sadly there was also a lot that had been hit by vehicles on the roads, mainly deer. Monday was a washout but the rest of the week was mainly sunny and breezy.

Potter Heigham Church walk to Hickling Broad - this was a nice walk to do with the whole family with lots to see that kept our 4 yr old Granddaughter interested for a couple of hours. We saw our first Swallowtail flying over the reeds, too far for a photo. Then I found one nectaring on Red Campion not too far off the path. I leaned over and got a poor shot, but a record non the less.
9U6A9655.jpeg
After a picnic to keep the girls happy, we walked on. We saw another two Swallowtails flying over the reeds but not settling. There were 20 Red Admirals seen, mostly on Oak galls. I wondered if they somehow attracted Aphids and the Red Ads were feeding on Honeydew. Not much else seen, 1 Sp Wood, 2 Small Tort and 1 Small White. We heard a Cuckoo and saw several Marsh Harriers, Reed Buntings and Sedge Warblers. There were also a lot of people about. I was happy to have seen Swallowtails but hoped for a closer encounter the next day as we would be looking on our own.

Sarah
David M

Re: Norfolk sightings.

Post by David M »

So glad you saw the Swallowtails, Sarah. Magnificent butterflies. :mrgreen:
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

In my opinion also good to see a British Swallowtail on a wild flower rather than a garden one :)
Some addictions are good for the soul!
SarahM

Post by SarahM »

David M wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:59 pm So glad you saw the Swallowtails, Sarah. Magnificent butterflies. :mrgreen:
Thank you David. They certainly were magnificent! :)
SarahM

Post by SarahM »

bugboy wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:00 pm In my opinion also good to see a British Swallowtail on a wild flower rather than a garden one :)
I agree with you Bugboy. :)
SarahM

Post by SarahM »

Wheatfen Nature Reserve - On Wednesday morning we had very heavy rain but the sun came out at midday. We took advantage and visited this reserve run by the Ted Ellis Trust, near Surlingham. It was a small & tranquil reserve with very few people about. We saw more Small Tortoiseshells than all other species added together. Painted Lady, Brimstones, Red Admirals and Speckled Woods also seen. We didn't see a Swallowtail until we sensed a change in the weather & decided to head back to the car. It flew past us very rapidly and over some Willows, not to be seen again. On the way back to the car there was torrential rain and it became very windy.

I still hadn't had the experience I was hoping for, but I wasn't giving up.

Sarah.
SarahM

Post by SarahM »

Strumpshaw Fen - Thursday. We had bright sun and a breeze all day. There was nothing to be seen on the plants at reception so we set off to look at the doctor's garden. We passed lots of people who helpfully told us where Swallowtails had been seen. Of course they had all flown off & there was nothing in the doctor's garden either. We carried on and ended up at the top of a field growing crops and many wild flowers. That was the shot I was after. I chatted to a man walking his dog, he worked on the farm & gave us permission to be there. We searched for about an hour but only saw very tatty Painted Ladies and fresh Small Torts. As we decided to look elsewhere we saw one but it flew over the top of the wildflowers & out of the field!

We moved on & decided to look for Norfolk Hawkers. There were several flying up & down the ditches & I managed a photo I was fairly happy with.
9U6A9695.jpeg
We decided to have another look at the doctor's garden. Fortunately there was 1 Swallowtail on the Sweet Williams right by the path. Sadly it had a damaged wing and was missing a tail. I took several photos but I didn't like them on the garden plants which were dying back anyway. I decided to just watch these magnificent butterflies and enjoy the experience. Then a second, perfect specimen, joined the original. Before I could take a photo it was flying off again.
9U6A9813.jpeg
We had a quick look at the reception garden before leaving where I saw the one on Dame's Violet briefly. There was plenty to see at this reserve but it was very busy.

Sarah.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Glad to see you saw some Swallowtails Sarah :) .
SarahM wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:59 pm There was plenty to see at this reserve but it was very busy.
I know what you mean about Strumpshaw getting busy. Out of all the reserves that I have seen Swallowtails at, it is probably my least favourite, simply because of how busy it gets.

Cheers,

Neil.
SarahM

Post by SarahM »

Neil Freeman wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:59 am Glad to see you saw some Swallowtails Sarah :) .

Thank you Neil. :)

I share your views on How Hill too :)

Sarah.
SarahM

Post by SarahM »

How Hill - Friday was another sunny but breezy day. We went to How Hill where we had the best Swallowtail experience, even though only two were seen. The first was flying in the meadow area opposite the shop/museum. We stood & watched it nectaring on Thistles very close by. It made several short flights but kept coming back to us. It had wing damage but that didn't spoil the show it put on. There was only one other person there. It was here that I saw my first Meadow Brown of the year.
9U6A9895 (1).jpeg
We decided to move on, seeing Brimstone, Red Ad, a tatty Peacock, Speckled Woods & Small Torts as we walked. Then as we approached a large Bramble patch I thought I could see something yellow at the back of it. I assumed Brimstone but as we got closer I realised it was a Swallowtail & there was nobody else around.
9U6A9922.jpeg
We watched this stunning butterfly for a good 10 minutes, nectaring on Bramble flowers. I took several photos then decided to just soak up the experience and marvel at the Swallowtail's beauty. Perseverance had paid off and I left very happy. :D

Sarah.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Great shots, Sarah. :) Getting something that isn't blurred when they are nectaring is quite an achievement since they move around so much.

Mesmerising though, aren't they - I could watch them for hours, and at the end of last week that's what I found myself doing! :)

Cheers,

Dave
SarahM

Post by SarahM »

millerd wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:26 pm Great shots, Sarah. :) Getting something that isn't blurred when they are nectaring is quite an achievement since they move around so much.

Mesmerising though, aren't they - I could watch them for hours, and at the end of last week that's what I found myself doing! :)
Thank you Dave.

Yes, they were constantly on the move whilst nectaring. The breeze didn't help either! Mesmerising indeed, I could have stayed another week to watch them all over again.

I did respond to your Swallowtail post, somewhere in the June 2022 topic. Your Swallowtail photo is gorgeous :)

Sarah.
David M

Post by David M »

You've covered a fair bit of ground, Sarah. Sounds like an excellent trip.
SarahM

Post by SarahM »

David M wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:40 am You've covered a fair bit of ground, Sarah. Sounds like an excellent trip.
We covered a lot of ground whilst there David, and it's a long way from Cumbria! It was well worth it though. :D

Sarah.
SarahM

Post by SarahM »

Thanks again to those of you who offered help and advice re my Norfolk trip, it was much appreciated.

Sarah.

Return to “General”