Right Butterfly Wrong Place

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Devon Dave

Right Butterfly Wrong Place

Post by Devon Dave »

Every year I survey a local long grass, uncut meadow near my home for counting grassland Butterflies. On Thursday I was there as usual searching for the first appearance of the Marbled Whites which usually start to emerge anytime now. But to my great surprise I spotted a Fritillary skimming around on closer examination when it settled I immediately identified it as a Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary and checking my books later am sure I got the right Butterfly identification from the photos I took But it was in totally the wrong place, a long Grassland meadow,and a singleton ,no others in sight. There is no bracken and no Dog violets in this meadow, and no know populations of the SPBF within 6 miles of this meadow.
I have surveyed this meadow for over 8 years now and never seen another SPBF in it.
So I wonder if these little treasures sometimes leave the main colonies and fly for miles looking for pastures new ?
Have any of you others out there ever seen a Small Pearl on its own and well out of its natural surrounding ?
Comments welcome.
Attachments
DSCN0880 (2).JPG
DSCN0910.JPG
bugboy

Re: Right Butterfly Wrong Place

Post by bugboy »

You could supply the exact location to your local BC recorder, it's always possible there's a small colony secreted somewhere unknown to most people, perhaps on private land. As a species that inhabits woodland clearings amongst other habitats its part of their natural behaviour to wander to locate new breeding sites as old ones become overgrown. This one is a female btw :)
Some addictions are good for the soul!

Return to “General”