Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: Pauline

Post by Goldie M »

Well done with the Clouded yellow Pauline, cracking shots also the Silver SB, brought back a few memories of our day out and Jim being there then. :roll:

By the way, you were right about the the last shot I took being an Adonis Female , both Neil and Dave think that's what it is :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

More cracking Silver-studded Blues Pauline :D And congrats on the Cloudy - I've never seen a Helice :mrgreen: hopefully this year will be the year when we'll be up to our knees in them :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Let's hope so Dave - I'm not usually on the common at that time of year but I shall make sure I check it out this year.

Cheers Neil - I imagine they can! Glad you liked the SSB as I'm sure there will be more to come :D

Yes, good memories M :) So pleased we all had that day :D

Cheers Wurzel - let's hope so eh?

I thought today would be a good day to see the Black Hairstreaks. The weather forecast was cloudy with sunny spells (will slow them down I thought). It is forecast to be warmer over the Bank Hols but I guessed it might get a little 'busy' (I was right about that; there was not another soul there :D ). I was delighted to see at least 7 BUT they would not land anywhere except really high in the Oak, in the Sallow, anywhere except low on the Blackthorn (and even a lot of that is outside my reach!). So, I enjoyed watching them and each time a cloud came over and they threatened to settle low, at the last second there would be a change of direction and they would perch on a high branch. Consequently, all my shots are on full zoom and even then it was challenging. Just might have to go back ! :D
P1240252ad.jpg
P1240256ad.jpg
P1240254ad.jpg
Perhaps this behaviour might change when the females start to emerge.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Almost a week now since I saw the first SSB here - the females can't be much longer now surely! Strangely, very few Common Blues here this year and no CB females, blue or otherwise:
P1240314ad.jpg
P1240295ad.jpg
P1240270ad.jpg
P1240274ad.jpg
Also saw this moth which I believe is a Straw Dot:
P1240263ad.jpg
Back home I have more strange plants growing from the cracks in the paving. Alongside the monster Mallow this plant is also huge. Any ideas what it might be?
P1240228d.jpg
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Looks like Caper spurge ,Pauline ....................... Happy to be corrected !
Allan.W.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Allan.W. wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:04 am Looks like Caper spurge ,Pauline ....................... Happy to be corrected !
Allan.W.
Yea I agree. Like many other Euphorbias it is rather toxic (except for goats apparently!) and knowing how many animals you have, probably good to be aware of this fact.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thanks for the ID Allan, Buggy - much appreciated.

Thanks Paul for drawing my attention to the toxic element of this particular plant - thoughtful of you :) . Thankfully it has grown up in an area that I allow to grow wild and the domestic animals don't have access to it. This is where the nettles grow and where a blackbird is currently sitting on 4 eggs. It is also where the Alder Buckthorn plant resides. You might recall that earlier I posted that about 3 dozen Brimstone eggs had been laid on this tiny plant. Today I saw yet another female egg-laying on it so I went to check and counted 32 larva but the plant is being decimated. As I suspected supplementary feeding will almost certainly be necessary ....... :roll:
P1240361d.jpg
P1240360d.jpg
millerd

Post by millerd »

A definite :mrgreen: for the SSB you've been seeing, Pauline. I found just one at Fairmile Common near Cobham today, and it's not a particularly late site as far as I know. (And another :mrgreen: for the Black Hairstreaks too! I assume they were the Surrey ones...)

Cheers,

Dave
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

That looks like the rare Voodoo Mask moth Pauline. What a fascinating looking character that is. I love the way lepidoptera have their anti-predator appearances when at rest.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I think my favourite is the Mother Shipton moth Otep (previous page). Have you ever been to her cave and viewed the petrifying well (Knaresborough)? I was very young when I visited but can remember all the tiny objects that folk had brought to be petrified strung up by the cave. Allegedly one of the oldest tourist attractions. More learning for you :wink: :lol:

Thanks Dave - It was indeed Epsom. The SSB are very close to me giving me plenty of time just to stand and watch. No sign of that Helice or the female SSB (am I becoming obsessed with this????!! :roll: :lol: ). However, I did see my first female CB there yesterday afternoon. A little lady who was very intent on egg-laying. Such tiny eggs and so well hidden!
P1240368ad.jpg
P1240377ad.jpg
P1240386ad.jpg
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Absolutely gorgeous SSB photos! :D
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I'm pleased you like them Katrina. They must be one of the easiest butterflies to photograph and I confess that having them so easily available, I sometimes fail to appreciate them as much as I should. Not so the Black Hairstreak however. What a frustrating creature that is!!! I was tempted back to Epsom today and as I suspected there were half a dozen or more photographers there. I usually prefer solitude but what a great crowd these folk were and lovely to meet Scott and Dan. Time passed quickly but for the most part, the butterflies stayed high up. When they did come down it was for about a nanosecond (you had to be quick) and they tended to adopt a pose of almost lying on the leaf - not the most photogenic position. I really must thank the very generous gentleman (name unknown) who spotted a BH low down and allowed me to take the first shot - my first one of the morning. I hope you get to read this and I hope you think the result (below) was worth your sacrifice (the butterfly flew off immediately):
P1240412ad.jpg
Subsequently I managed to get a few more shots but really, it wasn't easy - and still no females that I could identify:
P1240418ad.jpg
P1240409ad.jpg
Some of the males were already looking quite worn. There were quite a few Darters around but not many other butterflies:
Attachments
P1240406ad.jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking set of reports recently Pauline -love those Silver-studs 8) Interesting to read about the behaviour of the Blackstreaks on your first visit - that's exactly what they did on the only time I've seen them. I'd love to see them again but their emergence is always at a tricky time of year...maybe next year?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
NewNat27

Post by NewNat27 »

Hi Pauline,
This is Richard who met you on Epsom Common today. I'm glad you got the (excellent) photo, I only would have scared it off with my iPhone :)
A memorable day.
Best Wishes,
Richard
David M

Post by David M »

Those Hairstreaks are frustrating aren't they, Pauline. I guess that's part of their appeal as getting near them is generally more difficult than with other groups.

At least your SSBs played ball - they always do! :D
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Cheers Wurzel - that is exactly what they did on my 2nd visit too, in complete contrast to when I saw them at Ditchling where they sat posing happily on the bracken!

Hello Richard - good to hear from you. I am pleased you approve of the photo. I am very tempted to return to perhaps see a female but unfortunately some domestic issues are keeping me mostly grounded for a few days. Big thank you again and yes, it was a great morning.

Yes, I'm always up for a challenge David! :wink: :lol:

Can't get too far right now but just wanted to record my first Meadow Brown seen locally yesterday:
P1240456ad.jpg
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I managed to get out very briefly and very locally this morning in the rain so it was hardly surprising that I only saw 4 species:
P1240521ad.jpg
P1240538ad.jpg
P1240521bd.jpg
P1240507ad.jpg
P1240489ad.jpg
I didn't fancy wading through long wet grass for another shot at the Meadow Brown so turned my attention to the moths. There were many different species but the only one willing to pose was the Speckled Yellow:
P1240556d.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Beautifully marked Small Heath, Pauline. I really must pay more attention to them.
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

Totally agree with David - gorgeous subtle markings. You do a great job of highlighting just how fantastic some of the species we take for granted really are - great stuff Pauline!
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

To be honest David, I don't really pay them much attention myself but given the weather there wasn't much else around. It IS a pity they are usually overlooked tho' as they are an attractive little butterfly.

Thank you Ben. I hope you like the following. Most years I have a great deal of difficulty getting close to DGF so I thought I would start trying early this year (at Oxenbourne where they are just starting to emerge). The first one I saw was on Dogwood (I think!) so I took a distant shot. I was going to crop it but kinda like it just how it is:
P1240640ad.jpg
P1240656ad.jpg
P1240657ad.jpg
P1240652ad.jpg
P1240657bd.jpg
Lots of butterflies about despite the weather, including Painted Lady and Green Hairsteak but I chose to take a quick shot at the Small Tortoiseshell because, despite all the postings recently, I haven't seen many this year. I also photographed a Speckled Wood on my way back as it wouldn't get off the track and out of my way until I had done so! :wink:
P1240674ad.jpg
P1240678ad.jpg

Return to “Personal Diaries”