Chequers

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
Jack Harrison

Chequers

Post by Jack Harrison »

Doubtless the subject will alert the thought police, but read on MI5/MI6 - you will be disappointed.

On Saturday after an Air Force reunion the evening before, I drove along the foot of the Chilterns yesterday on the B4009 (Red Kites by the dozen incidentally) and some hillsides looked very interesting, not just in the Aston Rowant/Watlington area. In particular, Beacon Hill above Ellesborough looked very promising.

Now a study of the maps shows that I had passed quite close to Chequers (I never knew - nor bothered - where precisely that retreat is). Doubtless, the grounds of Chequers have a superb variety of butterfly species. I wonder if anyone has every done a butterfly survey of Chequers or has even made an approach to see if a survey might be possible?

Jack
Paul

Re: Chequers

Post by Paul »

meadow Brown, Wall Brown, Arran Brown, Gordon......... can't really imagine the establishment allowing it myself :D
markhows

Re: Chequers

Post by markhows »

There was a public footpath through it, but you are under constant survellance from CCTV and are requested to pass through quickly. I am not sure if the footpath is still in place or if it has been moved following the hightened security alert.

Mark

Return to “Sites”