Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Pauline

Re: Goldie M

Post by Pauline »

Last one.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great to see you getting into the Blues Goldie :D 8) I reckon the first and second and third are Adonis as they look the correct colour (more electric blue than turquoise) and have the chequers on the wing. I can't work out if the last shot of the female is an Adonis or not- the 'chequers' could be chequers or they could be folds in the wings? :)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Goldie M wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:56 pm...I did however manage to see a mating pair of Holly Blues in the garden , so not a wasted day really
As understatements go, that's right up there, Goldie. :)
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Well Done ! ...............with the Holly Blues in-cop Goldie ! Something i,ve never seen ...........bit of a bogey species for me ! :mrgreen:
Regards Allan.W.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Pauline, when I took a shot of the last one I thought it was a Brown Argus with it's wings shut because it was so tiny, so I'm not sure about that one, I'm not much good when it comes to chequered wings. :D

Many thanks Wurzel, I'd got those three down as maybe's :D it was certainly hard work trying to get shots :D I'd gone on my own for the first time in the car for ages , when your a passenger and talking you don't tend to look too much at where your going until you get there :D Maybe if I'd payed more attention I'd have got the grizzles by now :roll: :D

Hi! David, I'd been trying to spot a mating pair for ages in the Garden, they've had a great time out there, but I never saw many Female HB's , then when they did come the garden had HB's skimming your head. :D It's been great enjoying a cup of tea and just watching them :D

Thanks Allan, I'd waited long enough to find them :D I'm sorry I've not been able to see the Grizzlies, with all the info you've sent me but I will try again some time, it's been unfortunate really , I'd to depend on my Daughter because of the ear infection and now I'm getting about on my own it's maybe too late, I'm no good on directions so I'll have to still depend on my Daughter for the longer distance, thanks again for your trouble :D Goldie :D
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

A bit on the cold side today, I didn't see many Butterflies but I found this rather small Moth, I assume it's a night moth, it was early morning when I found it.

Also couldn't resist these photos of a Sea Gull on the roof with it's new born :D and another Holly Blue hiding from the cold :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_6296.jpeg
IMG_6299.jpeg
IMG_6298.jpeg
IMG_6297.jpeg
IMG_6305.jpeg
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Goldie. Your moth is a Small Dusty Wave https://www.ukmoths.org.uk/species/idaea-seriata/
Goldie M wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:57 pm I did manage shots of the Common Blue ,( wouldn't you know) and if there's an Adonis in there please let me know It's so long since I saw them, like I said, the one that looks like an Adonis , Well!!!!!
The open wing shots all look like Common Blues to me Goldie, the shade of blue is wrong for Adonis and I can't see the chequers extending into the outer fringes.
The closed wing shot looks good for a female Adonis though.

Cheers,

Neil
millerd

Post by millerd »

I'd agree with Neil's assessment, Goldie. The open-wing blues are all brilliant fresh Common Blues, and that last one looks very much like a female Adonis. It's definitely not a Brown Argus (the underside spots are wrong for that), and the wing margins are clearly chequered. This means you found what you were looking for, but perhaps not in the way you expected! :)

Also a big :mrgreen: for the mating Hollies - I see literally hundreds of this species locally every year, and I've only found a pair twice (and neither were as conveniently posed as yours!).

Cheers,

Dave
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Neil for naming the Moth :D When I see a Moth I always like to know what it's called, when I get into my Bungalow I intend to try my hand at a Moth trap, I see loads here at night, we also get loads of Bats swooping down from the Park into the Garden, tried to take shots of those but their too fast :lol:

I feel disappointed with my shots now, :roll: I really thought I'd got the Adonis, looks like I'll have to go back and spend more time at TE, but like you say I got the Female so that's better than having no shots of the Adonis at all :D

Thanks Dave, when two of you are convinced about the photos not being Adonis, I'll have to rearrange my photos :D Pauline also thought the last one was a Female Adonis but wasn't sure , at least I got one :D It was the very last shot I took has well :D

Glad you like the Hollies, I was surprised to find them but really pleased when I did, they made my day :D Goldie :D
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

The Sun came out this afternoon briefly, so I set off for Reculver, I thought the conditions Trevor described were perfect for today,
not too hot and partly clouded :D

I found the Wall's right a way and managed ( through the tall plants ) to get a few photos which do show the wings partly open :D

They didn't settle for too long but one did land on a plant and I was lucky with that one but the moving plants were annoying, any way can't grumble :D

Also feeding on the plants was a Small Tort, a Red Admiral, ( Thought there were Two Admirals, not sure) and a very weary looking Painted Lady, also lots of Small Whites, so, all in all not a bad day :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_6350.jpeg
IMG_6344.jpeg
IMG_6339.jpeg
IMG_6338.jpeg
IMG_6362.jpeg
IMG_6326.jpeg
IMG_6325.jpeg
IMG_6320.jpeg
IMG_6319.jpeg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Love that first Small Tort shot - the stained glass one Goldie :D There are still Grizzlies flying- just thought I'd mention it :wink: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Wurzel, I thought of you when first I saw it :D I know you like the stained glass shots :D

I did wonder if the Grizzlies were still flying, trouble is I can't get there to see them, my Daughter knows the way , I don't , it was last year when I went to look and I'd no Idea where we went to :D sounds daft I know :roll: I know the local areas around Canterbury but so far country wise I've still to go look you might say :D

My Daughters an Athletics coach and this time of year very busy, I'll see if I can get there over the Holiday week-end , if, she's not too busy, I asked for directions from her but she said it was difficult to explain and I'm rubbish at finding places any way :D even when Allan sent me instructions :D They think me an odd ball any way because I go looking for Butterflies at my age :D Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

You certainly seem to have plenty of fresh Small Tortoiseshells, Goldie, not to mention the Wall Browns.

I hope you can get at least one visit in for the Grizzled Skippers.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! David, I'm still trying for that visit if it's not too late :D I keep finding the Small Tortoiseshell's David , maybe the big one will come along :D

I went back to Seasalter on Thursday morning, i couldn't do much Butterfly wise over the next two days because it was family get together time. :D The only species I saw there was the very same as before CB, SH, the Common Blue was a bit faded and looked deferent, but then the females can look various colours, for instance the one I saw at TE ( only got the tail end of her )would have looked great full shot I think, the Small Heath were flying even though the morning was dull and cloudy at times, but that was that.

I did go to the see the Beacon being lit at night which was great. Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_6238.jpeg
IMG_6370.jpeg
IMG_6389.jpeg
IMG_6386 (1).jpeg
IMG_6419.jpeg
IMG_6413.jpeg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That's a really interestingly coloured Common Blue Goldie :D I love the way the orange lunules are so pale - gives it a stone washed denim look 8) :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hi Goldie .
Just seen your last but one post RE;Grizzlies ........................I,m sorry to say that i think they,re done locally for this year (but did see 2 at Dungeness on Thursday ) They had a disastrous season with my best count at any local sites ( bar Dungeness !) was only 3 ,on a visit ,compared to 15-20
per visit in the last few seasons...............very dissapointing ! lets hope its just a blip .
Regards Allan.W.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, It's seemed a funny season so far, I saw the White Butterfly very early on the 3rd of March before any of the others had made a show, since then , I don't know why, ( around here except for the Holly Blue and White's ,) other's have been few and far between, maybe I've not ventured far enough :D

Many thanks again Allan for your post, it's saved me going looking, there's always another year (Hope Fully) now I'm down here to stay, I've been busy with trying to sort places out to live, thought I'd got some where twice before but people didn't move, ( why they put the places up for sale in the first place is a mystery :D ) any way end of June I'll be settled and so much to do before and after that. I will be going to look for the Heath fritillaries soon, I'm lucky , I'm not too far a way from East Blean :D Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

Good luck with the Heaths, Goldie. Like you say, Grizzlies will wait till next year when hopefully you'll be all sorted with your property.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks David, I was lucky yesterday, :D I went to EBWoods and found the Heath's :D
Sorry i took so long to reply but our internet has been down for a couple of days ,it's been a pest on and off.

I'd been to the Woods on the Tuesday and saw nothing, then I went again on thursday and they were just coming out I thought because they looked so bright and perfect and there was only a hand full about, I also saw a Large Skipper but it was too quick for me :D I did see Meadow Brown at Temple Ewell today it was in the distance so I'd to zoom in bit at least it stayed and I got a shot of it :D
The Blues were on their way out but I did get a shot of one which looked rather worn Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_6497.jpeg
IMG_6487.jpeg
IMG_6480.jpeg
IMG_6466 (1).jpeg
IMG_6459.jpeg
IMG_6513.jpeg
IMG_6509.jpeg
trevor

Post by trevor »

Lovely Heath Fritillaries Goldie, apparently there are lots of them around now.
A :mrgreen: for having them almost on your doorstep. They're 80 miles from me.

Great stuff,
Trevor.

Return to “Personal Diaries”