British Life List

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Lawts

British Life List

Post by Lawts »

I've just been looking at my potential targets as I hope to retire in the next couple of years. It's a slow burn for me in terms of ticking off the British butterflies. I've seen 57 of the regulars but still need Lulworth Skipper and Cryptic Wood White, (acknowledging the latter is located in Ireland). I've also "dipped" a Monarch near Portland a few years ago, and passed off decent opportunities to see Large Tortoiseshell, Scarce Tortoiseshell, Long-tailed Blue, and Camberwell Beauty. I've prioritised my time on birding, but with retirement, hopefully there'll be more opportunities. I don't really do mammals, moths, or dragonflys but have had a passion for butterflies since my youth.

I should say at the outset I really like how friendly this forum is, and I like how it doesn't seem to have that competitive element that birding has. I'm a very keen birder/twitcher but some of the competitiveness and bragging rights that takes place leaves me cold. However, the twitcher in me still surfaces, so I guess I'm just curious re. how successful others have been.

Notwithstanding that I live "up north" my retirement targets are, (and I think I have a reasonable chance of seeing all):
Lulworth Skipper
Cryptic Wood White
Large Tortoiseshell
Long-tailed Blue
Camberwell Beauty - would really love to see one of these!
Monarch
Queen of Spain Fritillary
and possibly Scarce Tortoiseshell

Also possibly Southern Small White if it happens!

Beyond that, I think anything else would be left field. I may be being overly ambitious, but it's a stretch target.

I seem to think I saw Large Tortoiseshell in my youth, but it's too long ago, so I need another one.

I'm quite interested to know how well others have done against the overall list, and in what timeframes.

Thanks.

Edit: Just to say I don't think I'll include the Channel Islands to align with my birding approach.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: British Life List

Post by Pete Eeles »

Some thoughts ...

I once tried to find and photograph all species in a year (2006, from memory), and it was the least enjoyable butterfly-watching year I had. I learned very little about the species I was tracking down. And failed with the Mountain Ringlet thanks to a lorry fire on the M6. I have no desire to replicate this, even without a lorry fire!

I must admit, I'm not a twitcher - and perhaps this is because I've seen almost all of our rare migrants abroad in good numbers. These rarities are also unpredictable on our shores, so it's impossible to create any kind of plan to find them. All you can do is monitor sightings on social media. Lulworth Skipper and Cryptic Wood White have both been sighted this year, btw :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Lawts

Post by Lawts »

Thanks Pete. Cryptic Wood White definitely won't be this year. I've already been over to Ireland this year for the Egyptian Vulture, (which I missed) and will be going over again later this summer, (hopefully) if the Least Tern returns.

Lulworth Skipper on the other hand.....
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Hi Lawts.

Lulworth Skipper should be easy if you go to the right site, at their peak at the place I go, Durlston Country Park near Swanage, they are often the most numerous butterfly. Once you get your eye in they easy to pick out from the SmEssex Skippers too.
Long-tailed Blue would be another easy one as long as there's a decent influx in late summer and the weather doesn't collapse. The males hang around the birth place waiting to 'pick off' the females as they emerge.

All the others though it's a case of pot luck/being in the right place at the right time and waiting...you might have to wait another 50 - 100 years for a Scarce Tortoiseshell to show up! You might be more likely to find a Pale or Bergers Clouded Yellow.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Lawts.

As Bugboy says, Durslton country Park is a good site for Lulworth Skippers, bearing in mind that it is a later site and they will still be flying there when they are finished at earlier sites such as Lulworth Cove.
Last year we were in Dorset in mid June and there were loads at Durdle Door just above the rock arch as well as up on Bindon Hill above Lulworth Cove.

I have never been to Ireland (yet) so can't help with Cryptic Wood White.

As for the others, apart from Large Tortoiseshell which 'seems' to be once again breeding down south, they are all occasional migrants and as I am not a twitcher myself I have never seen any of these and probably won't unless I am lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time just by chance.

Cheers,

Neil.
Lawts

Post by Lawts »

Thanks for the replies. Yes I missed the boat with Scarce Tortoiseshell. I was conscious it was happening at the time, but didn't react. I've probably over estimated the possibility of another influx.
No bother though. Like I say, I want my butterflies to be a leisurely pursuit. I prefer that pace. Birding/twitching can get a bit hectic and stressful.
What's an optimum time for the Durlston Lulworth's?
Thanks.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Lawts wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:53 am Thanks for the replies. Yes I missed the boat with Scarce Tortoiseshell. I was conscious it was happening at the time, but didn't react. I've probably over estimated the possibility of another influx.
No bother though. Like I say, I want my butterflies to be a leisurely pursuit. I prefer that pace. Birding/twitching can get a bit hectic and stressful.
What's an optimum time for the Durlston Lulworth's?
Thanks.
July/August
Lawts

Post by Lawts »

Thanks Bugboy.
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

Gratitude seconded about Durlston Country Park. Thank you Bugboy and Neil. That's another day out pencilled in for later in the year.
OwenE

Post by OwenE »

It's probably not the prime location for them but I saw Lulworth skipper at Church Ope cove ruin the same day I saw Large Tortoiseshell so you might be able to do two at once
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Lawts wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:33 amThanks Bugboy.
Otep wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:24 pm Gratitude seconded about Durlston Country Park. Thank you Bugboy and Neil. That's another day out pencilled in for later in the year.
Since this year does seem quite an early one as far as flight timings are concerned I'd probably hedge my bets and go in July.
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

bugboy wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:33 pm
Lawts wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:33 amThanks Bugboy.
Otep wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:24 pm Gratitude seconded about Durlston Country Park. Thank you Bugboy and Neil. That's another day out pencilled in for later in the year.
Since this year does seem quite an early one as far as flight timings are concerned I'd probably hedge my bets and go in July.
Thanks Bugboy. I will go then.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I have seen them all in my 77 years of butterflying except that Irish Wood White - which hadn't been 'invented' during my youthful active years.

At the ripe old age of 83 I am of course far less mobile these days but still breed Orange Tips every year.

My own interpretation of old age: most of those old-looking grey haired people I see are probably younger than I am :P

Jack

Return to “General”