Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Hulme

Re: Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

And another two, especially for you, David. This time taken at 6.30 am, when the near-horizontal illumination creates a similar riot of colour. Yes ... the best time!

Thanks, Wurzel. Two weeks extra holiday for everyone at Bluebell Time AND no telling porky-pies to the public.

BWs, Neil
NYE Bluebells (1) 17.4.22.jpg
NYE Bluebells (2) 17.4.22.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

That's almost ethereal, Neil. In that first image it looks like a blue mist!
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

Yep - absolutely stunning Neil - well worth the early rise!
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, David and Ben. One last celebration of dawn Bluebells, then I'll move on to Pearls-a-plenty.
BWs, Neil
UKB NYE Bluebells (2).jpg
UKB NYE Bluebells (1).jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Neil Hulme wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:44 pmThanks, David and Ben. One last celebration of dawn Bluebells, then I'll move on to Pearls-a-plenty.
Will look forward to the PBF news, Neil, but feel free to post as many images of those bluebells as you like. They are magnificent. :mrgreen:
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Agreed. One of my favourite sights in nature. Keep ‘em coming!
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks both. But time flies and sadly they were suddenly past their magnificent best before I could squeeze in another visit.
I've really enjoyed your Oxslip, Wood Anemone, Wild Daffodil and Snowdrop images, Mark, and I suspect there might be some Bluebells to come from you.
BWs, Neil
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Rewell Wood 20-23 April

The Pearl-bordered Fritillary started on 20 April here in Sussex, with an early showing in a particularly warm coppice coupe which is off the beaten track. Since then, they have appeared in numerous parts of the complex, mainly away from the publically accessible areas. The main W-E ride in the southern part of Rewell Wood (public bridleway, best accessed from Fairmile Bottom), where most butterfly-watchers head, is producing only rather modest numbers this year, but more than sufficient for a good day out. In order to prevent the ride margins from becoming too grassy, we've had to let them get scrubbier than usual, making viewing and photography more difficult. However, they will be flailed this coming winter, to generate more violets and nectar plants such as Bugle.

The big bonus this year has been colonisation of this southern area by the Duke of Burgundy. Small colonies have always existed elsewhere within the complex, but it's taken 14 years to encourage them to establish a population here. As Primrose plants are restricted to relatively small sections of ride margin, please do try to avoid stepping on any plants if visiting the W-E ride; a fair few have already been squashed.
UKB PBF (1) 23.4.22.jpg
UKB PBF (1) 22.4.22.jpg
UKB PBF (2) 22.4.22.jpg
UKB PBF (2) 23.4.22.jpg
UKB Duke of Burgundy, Rewell Wood.jpg
UKB Rewell Wood chestnut coppice coupe.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Good news regarding the Dukes, Neil; less so about the damage to habitat.

Given last year's appalling weather during the flight period, I'm not surprised PBF numbers aren't that great. However, things look much better this year so one would assume that this will help them recover.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi David
My comments about 'modest' PBF numbers only really applies to the main W-E ride in Rewell Wood, due to the necessity to manage the ride-side vegetation on a rotational basis. The wider picture is much more favourable (following last year's weather-related dip), although I'm seeing nothing like the annus mirabilis of 2020.
BWs, Neil
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Rewell Wood 28-29 April

The Pearl-bordered Fritillary flight season in Rewell Wood was well underway by now, with 29 April producing my best 2022 day tally of 310, counted over nine different habitat patches. It remains to be seen whether this represents the peak count, as other monitoring commitments and a spell of gloomy weather have prevented further surveys.

I've seen plenty of mating pairs, as always best located by watching rival males trying to muscle-in on the action. Grizzled Skippers were also now appearing on a regular basis.
UKB PBF 28.4.22 (2).jpg
UKB PBF 28.4.22 (1).jpg
UKB PBF 28.4.22 (3).jpg
UKB PBF (2) 29.4.22.jpg
UKB PBF (1) 29.4.22.jpg
UKB PBF (3) 29.4.22.jpg
UKB Grizzled Skipper 29.4.22.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Neil Hulme wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:43 amThe Pearl-bordered Fritillary flight season in Rewell Wood was well underway by now, with 29 April producing my best 2022 day tally of 310...
Thanks for the explanation regarding PBF numbers at Rewell, Neil. That count above clearly shows how well they're doing. :)
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

Excellent conservation work Neil and wonderful photos. I fell of my chair when I read the count of 310. That is an amazing count and a reward for all of the hard work undertaken to get the habitat right.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, David and Otep. 310 is a good count of PBF by any standards, although this was spread over a wide area and numerous habitat patches. It is an improvement over the best day count of 247 for 2021 (which was impacted by the bitterly cold and dry early-spring), but I live in hope that the site will eventually produce a crop to beat the 2020 peak of 914. That year, the Pearls flew in numbers I've never seen before, even in my youth; they literally swarmed, with dozens in sight whichever way I looked. Whether I'll ever see those numbers again in my lifetime remains to be seen.

Here are probably my last mating PBF shots of the year (latest taken on 6 May), as I get the impression that the majority of females are now out, at least on early sites such as Rewell Wood. I also managed a reasonable count of 37 at Stansted Forest on 30 April, where the majority were found buried in rather overgrown coppice coupes. Hopefully, numbers will have improved since then. While performing this count, I flushed my first Nightjar of the year.
UKB PBF (1) 30.4.22.jpg
UKB PBF pair 6.5.22.jpg
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

914 ! :shock: I delved in to the records of my fledgling time with butterflies and note that I have seen 19 in my life. :lol:
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Neil Hulme wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:17 am ...I also managed a reasonable count of 37 at Stansted Forest on 30 April, where the majority were found buried in rather overgrown coppice coupes. Hopefully, numbers will have improved since then...
Hi Neil.

I had a look there the other week when we were down that way visiting our daughter who now lives in Emsworth. Mark Tutton had given me a location where he saw them last year near to the the Rowlands Castle end, but I was too early, by about a week it seems.

No doubt I will be down there again in the future, probably depending on what plans my wife and daughter make between themselves. For future reference, how long are they on the wing there? I know in the Wyre Forest up here they often fly well into June albeit well past their best by then.

Cheers,

Neil.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

But Otep, you are in the enviable position of having so much new to come! I sometimes wish I could enjoy my first sightings of new species all over again. Wishing you many happy new experiences this season.

Hi Neil. As with all spring species, timings can vary significantly from year to year, as can length of flight season. If you watch out for the first PBF sightings in Sussex, add five days for Stansted Forest. This year, with so much warm and sunny weather, they'll be all-but-done by mid-May. Drop me a line if you're ever down this way - it would be good to catch up after so long!

BWs, Neil
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks for that Neil, appreciate the info.

I have the excellent 'Butterflies of Sussex' book so had seen the average flight times but wasn't sure how Stansted compared. That answers it nicely.

With our daughter now living down in Emsworth, I am sure we will be down there many more times. No definite plans as yet but I am sure my wife and daughter will come up with something between them so I will end up doing as I am told :wink: :lol:

Cheers,

Neil.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

3-5 May 2022

While counting Pearl-bordered Fritillaries at Rewell Wood on 3 May, I revisited the spot where I found a new colony of Duke of Burgundy in late April. My best count here has been five, so I'm hoping that they're fairly well established.

On 4 May I visited Springhead (Kithurst) Hill, where Duke of Burgundy numbers were now building nicely. I've been managing this meadow for 17 years now and have mixed feelings about the changes I've seen over this period, as it has developed from an unknown site to one of the most heavily visited butterfly hotspots in the South Downs. It's great that so many people come here to enjoy the Dukes and many other species, but such visitor pressure comes at a very high price. Every year the number of pathways cut across the meadow increases; they are already far more numerous than is necessary for people to see butterflies in abundance, but some folk still just march across the flower-rich turf crushing Cowslips as they go.

On 5 May I led my annual walk for the Steyning U3A group, this time acccompanied by my brother, who was visiting from Antwerp. We crossed Fairmile Bottom and ascended the steep slope into Rewell Wood, with Pearl-bordered Fritillary, Duke of Burgundy and Mother Shipton moth being the highlights. We later found good numbers of Duke of Burgundy on Fairmile Bottom, together with a very smart male Fox Moth.
UKB DoB Rewell Wood 3.5.22.jpg
UKB Duchess, Springhead Hill 4.5.22.jpg
UKB Steyning Group walk 5.5.22.jpg
UKB DoB Rewell Wood 5.5.22.jpg
UKB Mother Shipton moth, Rewell Wood 5.5.22.jpg
UKB Fox Moth, Fairmile Bottom 5.5.22.jpg
trevor

Post by trevor »

You've had more than your fair share of mating PBF this season !. Great stuff.
On Friday at PCH I could see three egg laying females as I stood in one spot, just by turning my head.
From what I have seen at PCH I would say that the PBF there are doing better than holding their own.

Long may it continue,
Trevor.

PS Good to see you last week.

Return to “Personal Diaries”