October 2008 competition Behaviour

This is a forum for, primarily, monthly (or so!) photographic competitions that complement the annual competition.
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor

October 2008 competition Behaviour

Post by Gruditch »

Please note that, over the winter, various "themes" will be given for the competition. You may choose any photo you have so long as it's relevant to the theme (and is not restricted to photos taken during the month in question)! October's theme is "behaviour" - so it could be a mating pair, courtship behaviour, etc

To enter the competition, please post a single image (1 post per member) as follows:

- Click on the "Photo Gallery" link
- Click the "Upload" tab
- Select the relevant album (i.e. October 2008) in the "Upload to:" field
- Follow the instructions

To view the entries:

- Click on the "Photo Gallery" link
- Click on the relevant album (i.e. October 2008) link that is in the "Photo Competitions" Album

You'll be able to change (delete, followed by add, until this is fixed!) your entry until 5th November.

Please refrain from making comments about the entries until the competition has been voted on. Comments and constructive critique are very welcome thereafter.

Look forward to seeing the entries roll in , good luck !

Gruditch
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: October 2008 competition Behaviour

Post by Pete Eeles »

An "October 2008 - Behaviour" gallery has now been added to the Photo Gallery.

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

"To enter the competition, please post a single image".

I've noticed that several October competition entries are multiple images and was wondering what members felt about this? I understand that some behaviour is best-captured over multiple images - but not all multi-image posts are there for this reason! They're just more than one photo! Should we allow video too?

Just asking since, at some point, we'll have to vote on these and it would be good to know what we're voting for. Presumably, the composite? :?:

Cheers,

- Pete
Susie

Post by Susie »

I think it should be a single photo per entry.
Denise

Post by Denise »

I agree. One single shot per member until the photoshop comp.

Denise
KeynvorLogosenn

Post by KeynvorLogosenn »

so does that mean I will need to change mine?

I saw it a one entry as it was a seqeunce, it was the same butterfly as opposed to different ones. But if you disagree then I will change it.

Maybe when can have a video competition every 3/6 months or something?

Em
m_galathea

Post by m_galathea »

Naturally, as I kicked off October's comp with that image I'll like to see it stay. It was possibly the most exciting butterfly behaviour I have seen and was very pleased with the result!...I'm not expecting any votes as usual though.
I wouldn't include video in a photography competition myself, even if it does make demonstrating butterfly behaviour easier.

Alexander
KeynvorLogosenn

I agree Alexander, as it is of them same butterfly, it can be classed as a sequence?

I thought that what was the best way to show my behaviour as you can't show a Peacock turning around while feeding in one shot :lol:
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I understand that some behaviour is best-captured over multiple images.
That's exactly why I did it. I was trying to show that this particular Brimstone more than once chose a similar place to stop while it was exploring hibernation sites. That message would not have come across in the same way with just one photo.

I'm not trying to win with a gimmick - I merely wanted to highlight behaviour. The double image was my way of doing just that.

Added later: moot point as to what constitutes a single image. I uploaded only one image file. OK, maybe stretching the interpretation a little. I had assumed that "single image" merely meant that nobody could enhance the chances of success by posting several separate photos.

If people think I'm cheating, then fine. Don't consider voting for me.

Jack
Last edited by Jack Harrison on Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shirley Roulston

Post by Shirley Roulston »

I think that the two Brimstone's are perfectly shown as two photos in one. Shirley
Paul

Post by Paul »

I see no problem... each is one entry. In some months it wouldn't be so appropriate & hence the voting would speak for itself, surely. A video clip of my entry's behaviour would have been far more interesting than a photo, so maybe with respect to "behaviour", video more appropriate... then again - the vote would be for the behaviour, not the photo skill... :? Is it a photo competition, or a behaviour one!!
There, now I've confused myself.. regret posting this already :D
KeynvorLogosenn

Thats a very good question Paul
Now I am confused :?
I am going with a photo competition about behaviour, as it is a photography comp after all.
However maybe we can have a seperate video one?
Em
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

I'm personally quite happy for all entries to stand - the voting will no doubt determine if multiple images are considered to express "behaviour". In my opinion, not all do - which is why I mentioned it :) Then again, some of the single images don't express behaviour in my book either :lol:

Cheers,

- Pete
Susie

Post by Susie »

Oh well, if we are allowed more than one image as long as they are cobbled together then I may go and change mine then, cos I have a dozen or more "before" shots of the butterfly in various stages of crumpledness.

If I photoshop various images over the top of each other rather than adding a couple or several images together is that alright?
m_galathea

Post by m_galathea »

Susie wrote:If I photoshop various images over the top of each other rather than adding a couple or several images together is that alright?
Fine with me. Multiple exposure photography is a long established photographic technique.
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Oh good - then I'll show a Swallowtail mating with a Small Blue while both are in flight over the Himalayas :)

Anyone else think we need to set some sensible boundaries here?

The "old chestnut" here is whether this is a photography competition, or an image manipulation competition. We then have a long and drawn out discussion of the definition of "manipulation". Been there, done that :)

Clearly - the intention here was for a single photo ... hence the phrase "You may choose any photo ..." in the introduction.

Cheers,

- Pete
Susie

Post by Susie »

But by a single photo do you mean a picture that can be made up of one or more than one image or do you mean a single camera shot? I know what I think you mean but I want to know if what you mean is what I think. :wink: (cos knowing me I have probably got completely the wrong end of the stick! :lol: ).
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Susie wrote:But by a single photo do you mean a picture that can be made up of one or more than one image or do you mean a single camera shot? I know what I think you mean but I want to know if what you mean is what I think. :wink: (cos knowing me I have probably got completely the wrong end of the stick! :lol: ).
Depends what you mean by "image" :lol: I think I meant a "single ... camera ... shot". But this is just my opinion - so all debate welcome. I actually don't mind the multi-photo images - just curious as to where we should draw the line. Anyway, while I may run the website, I always try and remain as neutral as possible and welcome input (although I sometimes fail on the "neutral" front!).

But I think we're going around the houses here - a while ago I suggested that, maybe, we should have 2 competitions running concurrently. One for "single ... camera ... shot" photos - and another for relatively-extensive manipilation, which I called "image manipulation". Of course, we had a great big debate about the meaning of "manipulation" and Gruditch, I believe, gave an acceptable definition. Anyway - I'm sure you get the point.

The conclusion was that we wanted 1 competition but that we should cater for the "manipulators" at some point - hence Gruditch's suggestion of a "manipulation month" (probably phrased as "photoshop", or whatever).

Anyway - my intention here is to create as level-a-playing field as possible. Whether that's compacts v DSLRs, or those that can afford and are able to use Photoshop v those that cannot, etc. etc.

Cheers,

- Pete
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Please let's not lose sight of the fact hat these photo comps are supposed to be FUN. No lives depend on them but it has to be said that some people occasionally give the impression that they are the be-all and end-all of their existence.

While seriousness in life is certainly important, so too on is innovation, humour, and dare I say it, satire?

Jack
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

Pete Eeles wrote:Anyway - my intention here is to create as level-a-playing field as possible. Whether that's compacts v DSLRs, or those that can afford and are able to use Photoshop v those that cannot, etc. etc.
Not everyone in any given photography competition is going to be at the same level, some are still learning how to use a camera, same are struggling with post processing, and some are still saving for that elusive camera or lens. :D

As for the multiple images, it is technically only one entry, they hold no advantage that I can see, over a single image. I have my own opinion of them, but as that may influence the voting, I will keep it till after voting, let them stand, the judges will decide. :D

Gruditch

Return to “Competitions”