Seville. Coto donana and extremadura

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
OwenE

Seville. Coto donana and extremadura

Post by OwenE »

On my second day in Spain. It’s been primarily birding but quite a lot of butterflies around even if they don’t stop very often.

A few late afternoon hours around Seville parks didn’t bring too much. People on here suggested as much. A lot of very territory loyal Red Admiral and one large white that wouldn’t land at all

Driving from the city to our base provided brief glimpses of good numbers of whites but obviously no real time with anything.

On the edge of the lagoons at El Rocio there were still plenty of very mobile whites. First binocular flight views and then eventually a photo confirmed some Bath Whites. A lifer for me (it’s my first trip to mainland Europe since I got into butterflies)

Also a few small copper and some lovely clouded yellow and a few more red admiral. Someone else had a painted lady.

An absolutely tiny blue turned out to be Lang’s Short Tailed. Lovely almost pink borders to the wings. Another lifer for me.

Also one mystery skipper that I’m hoping to see again and a smallish predominately orange butterfly flying up over an ancient olive tree by our hotel.
OwenE

Re: Seville. Coto donana and extremadura

Post by OwenE »

Another mainly bird day. Butterflies were dominated by huge numbers of large white and a fair number of clouded yellow including one very pale example that I totally failed to take my lens cap off for. A few fresh small copper too

Also singles of very worn painted lady, a nice swallowtail (first since I started a list but probably second ever) and Provence (possibly Provençal there was some debate) hairstreak.
Attachments
6BA4C91C-D016-4E50-B4C0-08234B0148FE.jpeg
David M

Post by David M »

Definitely Provence Hairstreak, Owen.

Nice sighting. :mrgreen:
OwenE

Post by OwenE »

I think it was just over the name rather than species. My guide is British but has lived in Spain for a while and the languages get mixed up a bit
OwenE

Post by OwenE »

Cloudier today so only managed a few red admiral and large white. Including this guy
Attachments
3B1A5446-3AEB-4A02-9A94-D23A32D6B2DB.jpeg
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

Hope you are enjoying your trip Owen!
OwenE

Post by OwenE »

It was a great trip thanks. Mainly focused on birds but saw sone cool butterflies too. Spanish festoon. Swallowtail. Southern brown Argus. Mallow skipper, dappled and bath white and very briefly cleopatra and scarce swallowtail although my views of the last one were incredibly brief and barely count. Need to see better one day.

Just been sorting through photos
David M

Post by David M »

Glad you had a good trip, Owen. Back to reality now!
OwenE

Post by OwenE »

At least the suns out. Had my first U.K. large whites yesterday but I’ve got a lot of parenting to balance out being away last week so not much time for butterflies.

Should be out and about near Merthyr mawr on Saturday and was hoping to look for the skippers but that seems like the one dull day for a while
OwenE

Post by OwenE »

ssw.jpg
ms.jpg
bl.jpg
st.jpg
sba.jpg
sf.jpg
sco.jpg
OwenE

Post by OwenE »

Speckled wood, Mallow Skipper, Swallow Tail and Spanish Festoon i'm quite sure on.

Are the other three, in order, Common Blue, Southern Brown Argus and Small Copper.
OwenE

Post by OwenE »

Bath White(s) and Dappled White. Happy to be corrected had better views than photographs
bw.jpg
dw.jpg
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

I would say your first pic looks good for Green-striped White! Western Dappled White for the second.
OwenE

Post by OwenE »

Cool. Thank you. I’ll have a close look at the book. I’ve got quite a few photos of that pair and saw a few bath white earlier in the trip whereas green striped would be a new one.
OwenE

Post by OwenE »

I can definitely see what you mean from the black spots on underwing. I’ll double check the other photos but think you’re right
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Both the Lycids I the previous set of images are Aricia I'd say.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
OwenE

Post by OwenE »

Thank you. There was some discussion at the time, I only saw underside, someone else said they saw blue upper but am happy to have it as aricia

Return to “Overseas”