Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Pauline

Re: Goldie M

Post by Pauline »

Glad you're now able to get out and about M. Great find with that Painted Lady and some nice shots of it too :D
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Pauline, It's a good job my Daughter's garden was so productive :D that Ear infection knocked me out for a while :D

I was lucky with that Painted Lady, I couldn't believe it when it landed in front of me :D now I'm on the look out for the Green Hair Streak and the Grizzled Skipper, the latter I've still to see :D Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

Well done with the Holly Blue and Green Veined White, Goldie. Even better is that fresh looking Painted Lady - a nice sighting for the first half of April.

The Grizzlies will be stirring in Kent right now. Time to go get 'em! :D
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Many thanks David, I've seen quite a lot of Holly Blues since I posted those shots both in the garden and at Tankerton , things have really got moving this week :D I want to go find the Grizzles now but my Daughter doesn't want me to go on my own she says it's a long way and lonely, needless to say I can't even remember where we went :D I'm hoping to twist her arm, I think it put her off when we found nothing the last time so I'm waiting to see if they're out here first maybe that'll move her. :D
The painted Lady was certainly a gift that day. :lol:

Well I've posted more Holly Blue shots, some taken in the garden and some in Tankerton, I also posted a SW shot because it was so yellow when I first saw it I thought at first it was a Brimstone :lol: I also spotted another GVW, hope fully I'll see a Green Hair Streak soon and an Orange Tip, talking of which one land in the garden and took off again right a way :( We'll see what the Week-end) as in store.Goldie :D
Attachments
Speckled Wood 13th Tankerton
Speckled Wood 13th Tankerton
Holly Blue 14th Tankerton
Holly Blue 14th Tankerton
Holly Blue Tankerton flower Alexander
Holly Blue Tankerton flower Alexander
Gren Veined White 14th Tankerton
Gren Veined White 14th Tankerton
Holly Blue 14th Garden
Holly Blue 14th Garden
Holly Blue 13th April Garden
Holly Blue 13th April Garden
Small White 14th Garden
Small White 14th Garden
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking find that Painted Lady Goldie 8) :mrgreen: Lovely looking individual as well - really like the contrast between the paler peach colour and the black markings :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Goldie ,i,ve sent you a PM . Allan.W.
David M

Post by David M »

Goldie M wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:22 pm...I want to go find the Grizzles now but my Daughter doesn't want me to go on my own she says it's a long way and lonely, needless to say I can't even remember where we went :D I'm hoping to twist her arm, I think it put her off when we found nothing the last time so I'm waiting to see if they're out here first maybe that'll move her.
You have to go, Goldie. This is something that's played on your mind for a few years now, so you mustn't quit on it.

I wish you all the best and can't wait to see your first images of this species. :)
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, gift from the God's that one :D Nothing here today though, mind you , I was out and about yesterday, but because of the traffic here, cars parked every where, I decided to have a break :D

Hi! David, nothing doing here yet according to Allan, but he's going to let me know when he see's them which is great. :D

Yesterday in the garden I got a shot of this well marked Green Veined White, also but very briefly a Large White which partly opened it's wings, my first , so I was happy :D

My Son-in-Law has this Tangerine bush which he's put out side to catch the Sun ,when we looked a Small White had landed on one of the Tangerines :lol: I just had to take a shot :lol:

I Walked to the park after that and saw yet another Red Admiral and a Speckie, it's been a strange day here today though not one Butterfly spotted, there was a cold breeze here though off the sea so maybe that's why. Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_5395.jpeg
IMG_5420.jpeg
IMG_5418.jpeg
IMG_5411.jpeg
IMG_5405.jpeg
IMG_5399.jpeg
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hi Goldie,
The Dungeness warden ,Dave Walker had the first Dungeness Grizzle of 22' late yesterday afternoon,he thinks its his earliest there (he,s got to check ) plenty of Small Coppers now emerging .
Regards Allan.W.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks for that Allan, looks like another week should do it for the Grizzlies, I hope I can get there, ( a few twisted arms ) :lol:
If not may be the ones nearer will be out. ( hope fully ).

Today was lovely, I went to the Castle Park in Tankerton, I found my first Peacock but it looks like the poor thing's been out for a while, still it is my first worn or not :D The flower it landed on was very bright and there was loads of them, there was also a lovely bush there I must find out what it's called, I walked towards the exit and there sat on a chair was a flower pot man" was it Bill or, was it Benn :D "Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_5429.jpeg
IMG_5431.jpeg
IMG_5413.jpeg
IMG_5430.jpeg
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Goldie ,
Grizzles are now flying at several north Kent sites ( Burham Down,Bluebell Hill ,and Kemsing Down ) ,must admit i,m not to familiar with any of these sites .............but they are certainly flying there.
As for Dungeness ,you do have to get lucky there ,it is a huge area and they do appear here and there all over the headland ,but they,re difficult to pin-point .I,m going to try the three sites you know, again (hopefully !) tomorrow afternoon ,weather permitting ..............i,ll keep you posted !
Regards Allan.W.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

That's great Allan, I'll have to look up where the sites are, if you see them can you send directions please, just in case I've got the wrong sites in my head :D Goldie :D
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

Fantastic Painted Lady photos Goldie. It is an incredibly pristine looking example.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great work with the Large White Goldie :D I've knowingly seen one this year but it didn't stop for love nor money :shock: :roll: I saw two Grizzlies at Martin Down on Saturday - so they're up and about - get your skates on :wink: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello again Goldie ,
As i mentioned in the PM I sent you ,you should still have all the directions for the three Kent sites that i sent last season in your PM folder. plus pics of parking spot ,footpath marker etc.
Allan.W.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thank you Otep, I was lucky with that one :D I wondered if it had just flown in, it was so pristine though I don't think it traveled too far. :D

Hi! Wurzel, I've been lucky with the garden here so far , I saw another one just after but it was so worn poor thing, yesterday they were in and out all day but I missed them, like you say they can be very quick :D

Hi! Allan, I've found the directions in my PM, I'd forgotten about that, trouble is I've had a bad Ear infection whilst I've been here which knocked my balance a bit and for a while I couldn't drive , I'm nearly back to normal now but still depending on my Daughter to go longer distances, hope fully after the Easter Break I'll get to go further,
It's been annoying so far with the weather being so nice, luckily the garden here has been great, I desperately want to go for the Grizzlies but need some one with me so I've to depend on my Daughter and she's been busy, fingers crossed I'll get there. :D Goldie :D
Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

Hello Goldie, I've just woken up and discovered you have moved to Kent :shock: ! And already sighted a Painted Lady! :mrgreen: I didn't see any at all last year here up north. I hope you have a really good year Goldie :D - Janet
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello Goldie,
Well thats odd ! i,ve also been struggling with an ear problem as well ...............so i sympathise !
Glad you found the directions from last year ,i,ll keep you posted ! One thing beware the path that starts at the parking spot (by the gate ) and skirts the edge of the field .............its pretty muddy ,so be prepared .
I visited another couple of Grizzle sites ,late afternoon today ..............but still no joy !
At Samphire Ho ! (beach section ) late morning i had singles of Green Hairstreak ,Small Blue .,Large White,Small Copper ,a couple of Small Whites,
12 Wall Brown and 6or7 Dingy Skippers ,didn,t see much until we hit the beach ...................Clouded Yellow (s) have also been reported.
Regards Allan.W.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I hope your ear is on the mend/infection is clearing Goldie :? The Grizzlies will be around for a while so you've still got plenty of time 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Janet, yes I moved down here in September of last year and it's taken me ages to find some where, I thought I had twice but it fell through, hope fully this time it'll be okay , it's a good job I'm staying at my Daughter's :D at least we've got through the Winter,
during the covid the last two years were pretty lonely stuck there on my own ," so time to move" :D
It's been good here so far and most of the Butterflies I've seen have been in the garden, can't wait to get stuck into another garden :D

Hi! Allan, you know what it's like then to have funny ears :D Sounds like you had a good day with the Butterflies :D I'm going to try Reculver, I know for a fact that the Wall Brown are there and also many more species ( I hope ) :D I just hope they're out, I'll let you know. we think it a bit tricky going Dover way with all the Lorries etc, then I hope to try Temple Ewell eventually .
I must try for the Grizzlies though that's for sure, so let me know when and where please :D

I went to East Blean Woods today and parked on the side of the road, I'm glad I did, I saw only two Butterflies , two Green Veined White, I saw no Green Hair Streaks or Orange Tips and where I'd seen them and the Heath Frits and the Silver Washed Frits also the White Admiral all the bushes had been cut down, I know this as to be done but it's so surprising to see the woods like that, hope fully next time I go the Butterflies will be thriving . Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_5440.jpeg
IMG_5439.jpeg

Return to “Personal Diaries”