Re: September 2008

Post by Perseus »

Hello,

25 September 2008
With some weak sunshine, I decided it would be a rare autumn day to miss a
trip to Mill Hill, Old Shoreham, Sussex. Twelve species were seen: Peacock (1),
Speckled Wood (FREQ), Red Admiral (OCC), Comma (OCC), Green-veined White
(OCC), Small Heath (OCC), Large White (OCC), Small Copper (2), Adonis Blue
(11), Meadow Brown (8), Common Blue (1), Wall Brown (2).

FREQ= Frequent 12-50
OCC = Occasional 5-12

Adur Butterfly & Large Moth List
http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Butterfly-list2008.html

Cheers

Andy Horton
glaucus@hotmail.com
Adur Valley Nature Notes
http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Adur2007.html
http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Adur2008.html
Adur Valley Nature Notes: September 2008
http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Sept2008.html
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

2nd brood white admiral obeserved and photographed for an hour yesterday near my home just on the south kent/sussex border near rye. hope to post some photos later. They're still on the camera at the moment. First time I have seen a 2nd brood white admiral, and where I saw it any more than 2-3 in a season is quite a rarity. I suspect there must be more in more heavily populated areas?
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

FISHiEE:
2nd brood white admiral
Extra broods of many species seems to have become a feature of recent years. For example I am as confident as it is possible to be that Large Whites here have had a substantial third broods, a species that is normally considered just double brooded. Wall Browns have been reported along the south coast.

Conventional wisdom is that extra broods occur as a result of a hot summer (older literature certainly suggest that in the case of Walls). Well it certainly wasn't a hot summer this year. I suspect that the main climate factor is the milder, shorter winters. That hypothesis would tie in with the significantly earlier emergence of first broods than say 50 years ago; they then have enough remaining season to have that extra brood.

Incidentally, I wonder if anyone has really figured out the life cycle of Speckled Woods. Nowadays, they seem to be on the wing almost continuously from mid April until at least the end of September. But there are gaps such as in late May (in my area of S. Cambs). I am aware that Speckled Woods can hibernate as either larvae or pupae, but to understand what goes on would require a lot of research. PhD challenge for someone perhaps? After all, similar research in the past has earned PhDs.

Numerous Small Tortoiseshells are in and out of my barn/garage presumably prospecting hibernation localities. But I cannot find a single individual inside that has settled down for hibernation. If previous years are anything to go by, sadly the spiders will find them before I do.

Jack
Last edited by Jack Harrison on Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi all,
Still twelve species on the wing this afternoon at Kingley Vale, West Sussex. Red Admiral, Comma, Green-veined White, Large White, Small White, Brimstone, Speckled Wood, Small Heath, Meadow Brown, Small Copper, Common Blue and Chalkhill Blue. Several of the numerous Small Copper were the aberrant form caeruleopunctata (blue-studded hind wings), including the female I photographed while she took a break from egg-laying.
Neil
Small Copper.jpg
Small Copper.jpg (182.78 KiB) Viewed 973 times
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I have only visited Kingley Vale a few times and that over thirty years ago and had forgotten all about it until Neil reminded me. I recall Small Coppers in spectacular numbers, a population density I have only encountered since (several times) on sandy soil at Cavenham Heath, Suffolk. Kingley Vale is of course chalk.

Jack
Shirley Roulston

Post by Shirley Roulston »

Lots of Red Admirals, one Comma and one rather nice Small Copper, that was yesterday, to-day we are back to dull and overcast.
Picture 008.jpg
Picture 008.jpg (50.08 KiB) Viewed 949 times
Susie

Post by Susie »

Nothing but large whites flying around my garden and Horsham town centre today. Send me some Brimstones, Neil, I've got alder buckthorn waiting for them.
NickB

Post by NickB »

Fleam Dyke Transect on Saturday - Calcareous grassland on scheduled Ancient Monument which runs for 7kms S. of Cambridge from the Fen across the Chalk to Balsham.
9 Species: Comma 8, Whites 8 (1 LW, 3 SmW, 4 GVW) Red Admiral 1, Speckled Wood 2, Common Blue (f) 1, Small Heath 1 and Brimstone (f) 1.
CB_f_1_FD_27_09_2008.jpg
CB_f_1_FD_27_09_2008.jpg (144.48 KiB) Viewed 906 times
SH_1_FD_27_09_2008.jpg
SH_1_FD_27_09_2008.jpg (93.75 KiB) Viewed 907 times
Comma_1_FD_27_09_2008.jpg
Comma_1_FD_27_09_2008.jpg (115.5 KiB) Viewed 906 times
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Susie wrote:Nothing but large whites flying around my garden and Horsham town centre today. Send me some Brimstones, Neil, I've got alder buckthorn waiting for them.
As requested, but you didn't specify at which stage of the lifecycle, so you can take your pick! :D
Neil
Susie's Brimstone.jpg
Susie's Brimstone.jpg (244.38 KiB) Viewed 890 times
Susie's Brimstone caterpillar.jpg
Susie's Brimstone caterpillar.jpg (169.98 KiB) Viewed 890 times
Susie

Post by Susie »

Well I can't ask for more than that, can I! :D Fabulous pictures. Thank you.

What I actually want are some Brimstone caterpillars to fly into my garden and lay eggs on the alder buckthorn bushes which are growing here specifically for them. Maybe it will happen next spring. :D
NickB

Post by NickB »

Susie wrote:....

What I actually want are some Brimstone caterpillars to fly into my garden and lay eggs on the alder buckthorn bushes which are growing here specifically for them. Maybe it will happen next spring. :D
If the caterpillars can fly, then no doubt they will be closely followed by the flying pigs as well...? :?
.. to say nothing of the biological first of caterpillars laying eggs!
N
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Denise

Post by Denise »

I wondered who would pick on that.
Well done Nick :lol:

Denise
bugmadmark

Post by bugmadmark »

Fabulous shots everyone. Wearing my 'Geek Hat' I must say I really love the Brimstone caterpillar - its really rather attractive - altho if my Mrs sees this response she'll call me a sad XXXX. In fact I'd love to see more caterpillar shots on their foodplants as Ive no idea what half the larvae look like. There was a lack of butterlies around me this past w/end so I spent 2 hours practicising my technique on a very obliging field cricket yesterday. I've hundreds of images - but few are beautifully sharp - which is really rather frustrating. i started off hand holding, then on to the monopod and finally i pulled out my old study Benbo. Im certain they were sharp in viewfinder but screen on back looks unsharp. Still checking through on the PC and trying to get to grips with RAW editing. I may (if it is acceptable post one o r 2 on photography forum for critical comment).Perhaps my eyes are going bad? Im a little confused on technique - takesussex skipper fab shot of small copper above. Exif data says 1/500 at f6.3 - i just cant seem to get this kind of DoF at these apertures with 28-135 zoom. Mark.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Mark,
I'm afraid you will have to ask one of our resident photographic experts such as Rogerdodge, Gruditch, Eccles etc, as I know absolutely ZERO about the subject. I don't even understand 'f's and 'ISO's. I got my first camera (Panasonic Lumix) last spring and just click away merrily. It's only a 6 megapixel job, but I find if I hold it steady I will get the odd sharp shot if I take enough. I'm going to stick with this for another season then get one of those big Canon things that everyone (apart from Eccles :D ) raves about! I might need to learn some basics though, as it will be mighty embarrassing if I'm holding it at the wrong end! :lol:
Neil
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Neil wrote:
I don't even understand 'f's and 'ISO's.
Ashamed of you Neil - a scientist no less :D It really is very easy.

Good primer here:

http://www.picturecorrect.com/photograp ... Basics.htm

Jack
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Jack,
I know :oops: It's just that I haven't looked into even the basics yet and as long as I adjust the exposure (common sense) then the camera does the rest, at least well enough to get reasonable results. At the moment I'm just a butterfly enthusiast with a camera, but my interest in the photography side of things will inevitably grow, and at that point I'll actually start learning. Next year I might even read the instruction manual! :lol:
Neil
Susie

Post by Susie »

NickB wrote:
Susie wrote:....

If the caterpillars can fly, then no doubt they will be closely followed by the flying pigs as well...? :?
.. to say nothing of the biological first of caterpillars laying eggs!
N

Hehe, I had one too many glasses of vino last night I think and I made a typo, but you know what I meant, didn't you? :D

On the other hand, I could have been making a reference to all realities exist simultaneously and the egg, caterpillar and butterfly being one and the same because time is, in fact, an illusion .. But in reality, it was the wine.
Susie

Post by Susie »

If you are interested in seeing a larval shot then you might like this, Mark.

This orange tip female laid eggs on the garlic mustard in my garden.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e235/ ... G_0755.jpg

Garlic mustard with orange egg.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e235/ ... G_0949.jpg

Lots of caterpillars resulted from the eggs she laid, but after a period of damp weather they all died. This was the last one the day before it died. :(

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e235/ ... G_1308.jpg
bugmadmark

Post by bugmadmark »

Susie wrote:Garlic mustard with orange egg
This sounds more like a recipe from latest Jamie Oliver cookbook!
Susie wrote: This was the last one the day before it died. :(
Life's a B. Larvae looks healthy tho in pic - so prob a virus. I used to rear lots of moths as teenager. Some years no prob, but as soon as humid conditions came - virus or fungal infections killed many off - in fact the Emporer Moth caterpillars (amazing to look at) just stop walking, turn brown and sag in middle suspended from plant as a bag of liquified mush. You lose pretty much everything to this as it is so contagious.

Out of curiosity - The Garlic Mustard looks like it has no leaves in pics - is this because the caterpillars have consummed them all - or are the leaves actually stalk like? Thanks for sharing the pics. Mark
bugmadmark

Post by bugmadmark »

Sussex Kipper wrote: I might need to learn some basics though, as it will be mighty embarrassing if I'm holding it at the wrong end! :lol:
Neil
Hi Neil

Given the great images you are uploading onto here I think you are more then ready to join the Canonista brother/sisterhood. As for holding it the wrong way - given your results I can only assume you'll still manage to capture a reflection of a butterfly in your eye ;-).

Hi Nick

I want to take a look at Fleam Dyke - I'm working at Addenbrookes for 1 more month so it's only up road from where I work so I'm thinking of taking a look one lunchtime. Which end of Fleam is best to check for butterflies? Also, is the area reasonably - I'm thinking if weather ok this w/end I may ventrue out - but I've 3 kids - 1 of which is 'tied' to his pushchair. All are into butterflies - honest! Mark.

Return to “Sightings”