Maximus

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Maximus

Re: Maximus

Post by Maximus »

You've certainly had some wet weather, David, and more to come too, I've seen :shock:

There are still a few hardy butterflies to be found here, between showers, seen over the last couple of days, but with heavy rain forecast from tomorrow, that may be it :(

'Pale' Speckled Wood.
'Pale' Speckled Wood.
The first Small Tort. for a while.
The first Small Tort. for a while.
Red Admiral among autumn leaves, taking moisture from an old tarp.
Red Admiral among autumn leaves, taking moisture from an old tarp.
Peacock warming up.
Peacock warming up.

and 28 of 50 Large White final instar cats that will hopefully pupate soon. These were from two batches of eggs laid on our cabbages. There is also a lone Small White cat too.

P1070152Resize.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That Specklie does look pale Maximus - on its last legs :? We've had a few deluges round our way recently but a few moments of sun and the butterflies come back out of hiding so perhaps there may still be a few more about, fingers crossed :D

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Maximus wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:46 pmYou've certainly had some wet weather, David, and more to come too, I've seen
Been virtually non-stop, Mike. :(

Last year, it was fairly benign and butterflies were still on the wing well into November, but I guess these storms will have wiped everything out except for the odd, hardy Red Admiral.

I doubt I'll be seeing Speckled Woods till next April, sadly!
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

I hope it improves for you, David :)

Today I didn't expect much butterfly activity after the early morning frost, but this Peacock surprised me, nectaring on what's left of the verbena flowers. I suspect that most are tucked up in some nook or cranny nearby :) There were several Red Admirals about too.

Late season Peacock.
Late season Peacock.

Non butterfly wise, this Great spotted woodpecker was seen yesterday, searching for grubs on fence posts outside our kitchen window. Soft pics as they were taken through the double glazed unit.

Great spotted woodpecker.
David M

Post by David M »

A November Peacock is a great sighting, Mike. :mrgreen:

As for your woodpecker, I'm impressed by how you've captured it so well. We have them on our feeders on my estate but they scarper at the merest hint of human presence.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks, David, I know what you mean when the woodpeckers scarper, we were lucky that day :)

This morning I spotted a male Clouded Yellow in our garden. It only stopped to nectar a couple of times, once on a dandelion, and also on the only scabious flower still in bloom. Just the one shot before it headed south :lol:

P1390313Resize.JPG

Also seen were a worn Speckled Wood and a female Red Admiral, who was inspecting the fresh nettle growth, before basking in the sunshine.

P1390314Resize.JPG
P1390317Resize.JPG
millerd

Post by millerd »

Lovely to see that trio, Mike, especially the Cloudie on the knapweed. I noticed that the sun was still shining over Northern France while low cloud from a sluggish cold front spoiled the day here. :) And that Specklie may be worn, but its hybrid colouration is still really attractive.

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I'm with Dave on the Specklie - really interesting seeing the cream coloured markings I'm used to with a few orangy continental ones :D 8) Great single take shot of the Cloudy 8) and a garden tick too 8) :mrgreen:

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

That's a bizarre looking Speckled Wood, Mike. Looks like it hasn't made up its mind which side of the divide it's on!! :)

Great to see a Clouded Yellow in mid-November...even better that it was in your garden. :mrgreen:
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

27th February.

Having seen this Small Tortoiseshell on 14th January ..

P1390344Resize.JPG

..today saw this male Brimstone flying in our garden in the very spring like weather.

P1390415Resize.JPG

It settled on the heather in the company of many Buff-tailed bumblebees.
I think we have some rain to come next week, so a fortunate February (just) sighting :)
It was a real pleasure to see this Brimstone, after what seems to have been a long and grim winter.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Today the same Brimstone seen yesterday was still in the garden keeping to the warmer spots.

P1390429Resize.JPG

This Red Admiral has obviously survived the winter but with considerable damage to his wings. He spent ages nectaring on the heather in the warm sun this morning.

P1390421Resize.JPG

We also added this Peacock to our post hibernator sightings today, and he was in great condition.

P1390426Resize.JPG

We just need to find a Comma now :)
trevor

Post by trevor »

Good to hear from you Mike.
You also came up trumps with the hibernators, a good haul.
But considering where you are now situated I am sure you will fill us with envy as the year progresses!.

Stay safe and well,
Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great set of shots Maximus and almost the full house of hibernators :D 8) Although you probably get the Large Tort as well 8) :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Nice to see things kicking off with you in northern France, Mike.

Been a grim time lately, so seeing a few active butterflies is more uplifting than ever.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks Trevor, perhaps I can start now :)

It's funny you should say that, Wurzel, almost a full house again yesterday :)

On decent days things do begin to kick off, David, but they've been few and far between here so far. With grim things at the fore, it's more uplifting than ever seeing some active butterflies on those good days :)

14th March

Yesterday was a lovely sunny day with temperatures reaching 13 degrees with a light breeze. Wondering around our garden with my camera at around midday I almost managed the full house of hibernators.

Peacock nectaring on Daffodil, not seen that before. Three Peacocks seen.
Peacock nectaring on Daffodil, not seen that before. Three Peacocks seen.
Four or five Brimstones seen.
Four or five Brimstones seen.
Tatty Red Admiral, as they don't truly hibernate they seem to end up with more wear and tear.
Tatty Red Admiral, as they don't truly hibernate they seem to end up with more wear and tear.
Small Tortoiseshell.
Small Tortoiseshell.

I disturbed a Peacock which flew past me and landed on a daffodil, as I made my approach it had morphed into this..

Large Tortoiseshell, and in good nick too.
Large Tortoiseshell, and in good nick too.

I took some shots and as it seemed settled I legged it up to the house to fetch Cathy. Unfortunately it had flown when we returned and a good search failed to relocate it. Hopefully there will be others during the course of the year :)
Just the Comma missing :shock: :)
trevor

Post by trevor »

It didn't take you long to find something special, Mike. :mrgreen:
A Large Tortoiseshell certainly makes for an exciting encounter.

Plenty of Commas over here!. Take care,
Trevor.
Last edited by trevor on Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Looks like I 'Manifested' it for you Mike, let me know if there's anything else on your wish list :wink: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

LT's certainly get the pulse racing, Trevor, as you know :) I'll gladly take a Comma or two :lol:

Camberwell Beauty please, Wurzel :wink: :)
millerd

Post by millerd »

It must be great to have Large Tortoiseshells numbering among all the other hibernators at this time of year, Mike. Lovely to see - I shall be eagerly watching to see Wurzel's influence manifesting you a Camberwell Beauty too! :)

Cheers,

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

What a pleasure it must be to have Large Tortoiseshell amongst your early sightings, Mike. Only just seen Commas myself but I'd happily trade all of them for even a tatty Large Tort.

Return to “Personal Diaries”