Silver-washed Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2021

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 15

Not long to go now! The Aconites at work are out and they’re usually only a couple of weeks ahead of the Small Torts…barring a sudden snowfall or arctic surge.

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
downland boy

Re: Silver-washed Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2021

Post by downland boy »

This bilateral gynandromorph was one of my butterfly moments of the year and a lifetime first for me.

http://eastsussexwanderer.blogspot.co.uk
Attachments
Silver-washed Fritillary (bilateral gynandromorph) 5.8.2021 East Sussex. Nigel Kemp.JPG
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

2021 was another great year for this species in Lincolnshire - my favourite shot was of this nice fresh female from 7th July, central Lincs:
Silver-washed Fritillary female 2.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

downland boy wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:16 amThis bilateral gynandromorph was one of my butterfly moments of the year and a lifetime first for me.
You must have had some pretty special things happen if that gynandromorph was only "one of" your butterfly moments of the year, DB! :mrgreen:
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Two superb finds to start this thread !! Gents ...................A gynandromorph (downland boy )...........Wow !! and a stunning female ! (David M)
Heres my favourite .I didn,t take to many Silver-Wash shots in 2021 ,and only saw about 3 females in all ,but they did have a pretty good season in the Orlestone forest . This was the first male of the season ,and very fresh !
P1300164 (2).JPG
Regards Allan.W.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Sorry Pete ,the stunning female was yours (not Davids ) my apologies !! :oops:
Regards Allan.W.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I tend to get my favourite shots of these once the initial emergence is over and the males have expelled the bulk of their rampant 'exuberance'.
An unusual angle from a mating pair grabbed before they had the chance to ascend to the tree tops
Silver-washed Fritillary mating, Bookham Commons.JPG
and a couple of males getting a late breakfast in during one of the many overcast days they had to endure last summer.
Silver-washed Fritillary male, Bookham Commons.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
downland boy

Post by downland boy »

You must have had some pretty special things happen if that gynandromorph was only "one of" your butterfly moments of the year, DB! :mrgreen:
Hi David......normally, that gynandromorph would easily have been the butterfly moment of the year but I also had a glorious moment with an emerging White Admiral in the wild.......another few weeks to go for that one!

All the best, Nigel
David M

Post by David M »

I shall look forward to that, Nigel.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

A couple of trips to Oversley Wood and Snitterfield Bushes provided me with my Silver-washed Fritillary sightings in 2021. At both locations they were fairly numerous with Oversley probably having the higher number overall.
Silver-washed Fritillary - Oversley Wood 07.2021
Cheers,

Neil
Steve Kirtley

Post by Steve Kirtley »

SWF now in County Durham & heading North.
Attachments
Silver Washed Fritillary Male Wynyard 15 07cr2.JPG
Silver Washed Fritillary Female Wynyardbr2.JPG
millerd

Post by millerd »

Plenty of these were seen elegantly swooping around at both Chiddingfold and Bookham in 2021. I had sightings of a valesina female at Bookham, but she failed to settle, so decent shots of this variation remain on the wishlist for 2022. Amongst all those seen, a male from Chiddingfold does stand out abit, as it was unusually heavily marked. Seen on 8th July.
SWF7 080721.JPG
Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Silver-washed Fritillary

There was only one choice really for my Favourite Photo for this species and it came from a trip to Alners Gorse at the tail end of July. Philzoid and I had visited primarily for Hairstreaks – Purple and White-letter but a quick detour to the Banks threw up Philzoids first definite Valesina. She was a little tired, slightly frayed around the edges but still a magnificent sight to behold. When it came to selecting my favourite shot I forewent the usual bluey-purple topside with its copper sheen and instead went for a shot of the underside which always reminds me of a bag of mints – mint humbugs on the fore wing and spearmint chews on the hind wing. I love the two tonal under wings that contrast with the blend of colours seen on the usual form.
22-07-2021 16.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

On 2nd July, at the beginning of their flight period, I saw this fresh male at Lower Woods, Glos:
2.SWFmaleups(1).jpg
Then, on 23rd July, I visited Bernwood Forest in the late afternoon and was delighted to find this valezina casually nectaring from bramble in the car park:
1.Valezina(1).jpg

Return to “Silver-washed Fritillary”