Peacock - Favourite Photo of 2021

Phil Bowler

Re: Peacock - Favourite Photo of 2021

Post by Phil Bowler »

These two shots are my favourite Peacock photos of 2021, both taken in my butterfly garden with one showing the almost ghoulish fore-wing only eyes as compared to the absolute brilliance of all four eyes on a freshly emerged specimen. We should not take our more commoner species for granted.
Attachments
Peacock basking in tree  2-8-21.JPG
Peacock feeding on purple loosestrife 25-7-21.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Phil Bowler wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:42 pm...We should not take our more commoner species for granted.
Certainly not this one, Phil. We're lucky that such a spectacular insect is relatively common in the UK. I see precious few in France & Spain.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

While, fortunately, the upperside view of a Peacock basking in sunshine is still a frequent sight in UK, I have chosen an underside view. It is an extraordinary result of evolution, to create such a cryptic underside that hides this butterfly so well during its hibernation.
Nuneham Arboretum, Oxon - 10th August 2021<br />Olympus E-M1-ii with 40-150mm lens - 1/250s@f/8 ISO 800
Nuneham Arboretum, Oxon - 10th August 2021
Olympus E-M1-ii with 40-150mm lens - 1/250s@f/8 ISO 800
Mike
PhilBJohnson

Post by PhilBJohnson »

April 18th 2021 Nature's Calendar
This was some of the last Blackthorn seasonally flowering, much of it, had already "gone over" by mid-April in Lincolnshire. I went out walking with my Spouse, specifically, to take pictures of butterflies, where we had not been before.
Having parked the car, I was "harassed" by someone asking security questions.
I insisted that I wasn't going fishing!
Unfortunately, I spoiled my social memory of the day, when leaving, by accidentally shutting my car boot, on some of my camera equipment.
Don't laugh. :oops:
Having thought about something, I have since added an electric shock warning sticker, to the short pole that I used, with bluetooth camera shutter control.
Overwintered Peacock, on seasonally late Blackthorn
Overwintered Peacock, on seasonally late Blackthorn
Kind Regards,
Medard

Post by Medard »

Peacock numbers were low last year on my patch, however this beauty came to my garden to brighten up my day.
https://jamesgibbs6929.zenfolio.com/
Attachments
AUG_8784.jpg

Return to “Peacock”