Purple Hairstreak - Favourite Photo of 2021

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 13

Well we’re on the downward stretch now as we’re actually into the new year and so instead of saying ‘next year/next season’ we can say ‘this year/this season’. :D

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
bugboy

Re: Purple Hairstreak - Favourite Photo of 2021

Post by bugboy »

I'm still waiting for the perfectly posed female of this species, undersides are two-a-penny but still irresistible.
Purple Hairstreak female, Bookham Commons.JPG
I did get another male though :)
Purple Hairstreak male, Bookham Commons.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

The female may have eluded you but you’ve done enviably well with that male, Paul. :mrgreen:
Wolfson

Post by Wolfson »

I had some success looking at Purple Hairstreak in the tree canopy through binoculars early in the morning. As soon as the sun reached the canopy they would fidget around to catch the warmth. Interesting to see Large Skipper also roosting high up. As the sun reached lower down, some of the Hairstreaks descended and allowed photographs.
Attachments
Purple Hairstreak, 15 July
Purple Hairstreak, 16 July
Purple Hairstreak, 16 July
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Purple Hairstreak

The Purps came down a fair bit this year (possibly as the warmer weather dried up their food source in the canopy?) but in the heat they seemed to seek out shade. I chose this shot not because it’s the best – no hint of iridescent glittering purple or silver shining from the underside here – but instead because it showed an interesting behaviour. Over the years I’ve been told by several people that if you want to see Purps then an evening visit it your lad when they gather around the tops of the Oaks BUT if you want to photograph them best get there early morning as that’s when they’re more likely to come down. So where do they go in between when they’re not flitting about just out of range? It seems that sometimes they’re sitting out the sun and chilling in the shade which is what I saw and photographed here. With those dark uppersides the butterfly will heat up quickly and as also shown in the photo the shade means that there may still be some moisture that hasn’t yet evaporated. Just an observation…
17-07-2021 12.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

A morning spent at Savernake Forest in late July presented a rare opportunity for me to get close to this frustrating species:
1.PHups(1).jpg
1.PHuns1(1).jpg
Phil Bowler

Post by Phil Bowler »

I have chosen this photo because it is another of those stumbling across moments I keep referring to in my photos of last year. I had suspected that the Purple Hairstreak was visiting the oaks in our butterfly garden but this was the proof - she just descended from the tree and landed right in front of me. A magical moment.
Attachments
Purple Hairstreak female basking on dogwood 24-7-21 Windmill Lodge  butterfly garden, Lincs.JPG
millerd

Post by millerd »

Another summer went by in 2021 without chancing upon fresh open-winged examples of either sex of this species - which does mean there is always something to strive for in the next season. :) Nevertheless, I found a few fresh examples at both Chiddingfold and Bookham that kept their wings shut, and several more worn individuals displaying their uppersides at the latter location (which is something of a given these days - they come down low quite readily here). This one is one from 5th July at Chiddingfold, sitting on the bracken. I watched it for some while, and even tried the shading technique that works a treat with Holly Blues, but in sun or shade it stayed resolutely shut before taking off and ambling up into the trees.
PH3 050721.JPG
Cheers,

Dave
Stevie Blunder

Post by Stevie Blunder »

I fluked my only 2021 photo of a Purple Hairstreak with this image. It was a rare hot day in the July mini heatwave in the Forest of Dean when I looked up into an oak and saw this lovely specimen sheltering under a leaf to try and keep cool.Sometimes you can get your best photos when you are not really trying.
Attachments
IMG_9100.JPG

Return to “Purple Hairstreak”