Marsh Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2021

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 10

Seasons greetings all! Only a week to go until the obese Northern gentleman with a penchant for Sherry reverse burgles everyone that’s been good!

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
bugboy

Re: Marsh Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2021

Post by bugboy »

Couldn't pick just one so I combined four to illustrate the variety of natural variation with this beautiful species.
collage.png
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Phil Bowler

Post by Phil Bowler »

This was one of those wonderful moments when the butterfly just posed for the camera. Despite me getting in close, and she seemingly having finished the job in hand, she remained in situ, totally undisturbed.
Attachments
Marsh Fritillary after egg-laying on devils-bit scabious.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

Nice image, Phil. I guess she was needing a break after laying such a clutch?
Phil Bowler

Post by Phil Bowler »

Yes indeed, David. They are so much more phtographable than the larger Frits and the two Pearl-bordereds. (Have I just invented a word - phtographable???)
Andy02

Post by Andy02 »

14C17145-3927-4AD6-B47D-1BA070F92605.jpeg
I saved myself a two hour drive when I heard about these at Ivanhoe. I admired the butterflies , the scenery , and the weather whilst banishing the guilt of a petrol guzzling trip further afield.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

An easy choice for me this year as I only saw one example of this species, this being during our trip to the Lizard in May. This was just one example of where my plans were thrown out by the poor weather leading to later emergences this year.
Still, it was a nice fresh example and posed nicely on a bluebell, definitely a case of quality rather than quantity.
Marsh Fritillary - Predannack Cliffs 19.05.2021.
Marsh Fritillary - Predannack Cliffs 19.05.2021.
Cheers,

Neil.
millerd

Post by millerd »

The two days on which I saw this species have already been mentioned - Bugboy's mosaic from Cotley Hill on 30th June and Andy02's trip to the Chilterns near Ivinghoe Beacon a couple of days later. Here are a contrasting couple from the first day that could almost be different species...
MF35 300521.JPG
MF16 300521.JPG
...and one from the second, with the butterfly looking out over unfamiliar countryside.
MFview 010621.JPG
The latter colony is clearly an unofficial introduction, and it remains to be seen whether it persists into 2022.

Dave
False Apollo

Post by False Apollo »

I am always amazed at the variety of Marsh Fritillaries within a colony. I visited a site on Salisbury Plain this year where numbers were teeming and noticed a particularly dark individual which stood out and contrasted with the more typical Marsh Fritillaries. It was very mobile and only landed for a short time for a photo before it moved off and I was unable to re-locate it.
Attachments
Dark Marsh Fritillary which contrasted with more typical individuals.
Dark Marsh Fritillary which contrasted with more typical individuals.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Marsh Fritillary

I really struggled choosing my favourite Marsh Fritillary shot this year as Martin Down and Sidbury were awash with stunning examples. In the end I only managed to whittle it down to three and I couldn’t choose between them…

The first came from Martin Down. I’d arrived in pouring rain which confined me to the car for the first half hour of my visit. When it finally stopped I set to walking along the Dyke hoping that the sun would break through for just long enough to dry up some of the vegetation and coax some of the Marshies (that I knew had emerged) out of hiding. As I walked past the Butts I saw what I’d hoped for; an immaculate Marshie sitting warming itself in the weak sun. It was stunning to behold, the rich dark ground colour beautifully contrasted by the almost-red-oranges and creamy yellow chequers and the fine dusting of silver along the costa.
22-05-2021 11.JPG
The second came later from the same visit and at the start of the Dyke. When I’d started here the sun was still too weak but now it was out proper and so were the butterflies including a slightly more aged Marshie. I didn’t mind the slight wear though as it sat beautifully for me, nicely closed up and it allowed me to get in so close that I could really appreciate the punky hair-do and the speckled eye.
22-05-2021 32.JPG
The final one also came from Martin Down and from only a few steps away from where I’d seen the first fave but a few weeks later. This one stuck in my mind and contention for fave as it was beautifully marked. When it flew by at first I thought someone had been ‘dumping’ exotic species again as it looked more black and white than the typical orangey colour of a Marshie in flight, the off white markings nicely mirrored by the grey hairs on the exceedingly plump abdomen – a veritable fertility goddess!
03-06-2021 23.JPG
Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Due mainly to unfavourable weather conditions, I didn't get anywhere near the usual time to study this species in 2021. From the few opportunities I did get, I was disappointed by the poor numbers and probably took fewer images than I ever have previously since I have lived on this species' doorstep on the Gower:
05.MarshFr1(1).jpg
Wolfson

Post by Wolfson »

Easy choice since I only saw one in 2021 but that is one more than I saw in 2020. Despite being was rather worn and very busy flying between flowers on the windswept Cornish cliffs it was lovely to see. Looking forward to more success in 2022.
Attachments
Marsh Fritillary, 13 June
Marsh Fritillary, 13 June

Return to “Marsh Fritillary”