Large White - Favourite Photo of 2021

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 9

Another week passes which just means that we’re one week closer to the new season…at least that’s the way that I’m looking at it :wink: .

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
Goldie M

Re: Large White - Favourite Photo of 2021

Post by Goldie M »

I rather like these two shots of the Large White I took in my BG in late May, the weather was very good that day, Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_3911.jpeg
IMG_3903.jpeg
David M

Post by David M »

Very nice, Goldie. For a common species this is a tricky one to photograph.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Out of the three 'common' species of White, Large White was the least numerous for me this season with very low numbers in the first half and not much of an increase around my patch later in the year.
Consequently I managed very few photos with the summer brood female below probably being the best of a pretty poor selection.
Large White - Blythe Valley 04.08.2021
Large White - Blythe Valley 04.08.2021
Cheers,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Large White

I saw good numbers of Large Whites this year so their bounce back seems to be continuing after the dire time they had a few years back. That being said opportunities for shots were much scarcer as this species to my mind revels in fast flight and (again to my mind) watching this hulking great white blob blur into the background is the usual sighting. However I did get lucky at the Devenish at the end of July as I stumbled across a pair of Large Whites which were indulging in their second favourite past time. As copulating butterflies were something of a rarity this season for some reason this instantly became my favourite shot of this species.
31-07-2021 21.JPG
Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

I'd say this species was slightly below average in numbers in my neck of the woods in 2021.

Didn't take too many images, but this one from mid May of a female was probably my favourite:
1.Lgwhfem(1).jpg

Return to “Large White”