High Brown Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2021

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 8

Another week passes which in one way is bad as it means another week without butterflies but in another way is good as we’re one week closer to seeing the first butterflies of 2022!

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
David M

Re: High Brown Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2021

Post by David M »

Just after midsummer's day, I spent a morning scything a transect route at the Welsh HBF site, and was delighted to have plenty of High Browns flashing about whilst I was cutting the track:
22.HBFmaleups(1).jpg
22.HBFmale2(1).jpg
23.HBFups(1).jpg
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

David M wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:58 pm Just after midsummer's day, I spent a morning scything a transect route at the Welsh HBF site, and was delighted to have plenty of High Browns flashing about whilst I was cutting the track
I cannot think of more excellent company - great stuff!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
David M

Post by David M »

Yes, Pete. Amazing how the hard graft seemed much easier having these beauties flying around!
millerd

Post by millerd »

I'm very envious that you have HBF relatively close at hand, David, and it must be very satisfying to be able to contribute to the (clearly successful) maintenance of suitable habitat for them whilst seeing them fly around you. :)

I luckily almost always manage to be staying in the North of England during the HBF season, and do my best to fit in a visit to Arnside Knott while I'm up there. I also have to rely on the weather gods to smile a bit on the venture (even if they don't actually all-out grin) and 2021 was an example of just that. I was staying overnight with some friends not far from Smardale, and the previous day had been almost continuously wet. My plan was to return home in the morning via Arnside, and the forecast for 4th July was for a mix of heavy showers and some sunshine. As I drove down the M6 and approached the relevant turnoff, I could see dark clouds over seawards, and along the road from Milnthorpe to Arnside there were considerable puddles. However, I reached the car park up at the Knott just as the sun did, and amazingly for the best part of two hours it remained shining. It was pretty warm as well and the microclimate of this splendid location came into its own.

There seemed to be good numbers of fritillaries flying: some worn SPBF and much fresher Dark Greens, but initially none I got close to were High Browns. However, this was to change. In a more sheltered spot on the eastern side of the higher parts of the hill, there were thistles and other nectar plants in abundance, and here were the High Brown Fritillaries - and they were fresh too. Initially a male posed nicely...
HBF16 040721.JPG
HBF17 040721.JPG
...and then I spotted another butterfly flat out basking on the path. A beautifully fresh female.
HBF11 040721.JPG
I also managed a shot or two of another (paler) female which had been lurking initially with some DGFs.
HBF21 040721.JPG
Having achieved these shots (and plenty of others of the remaining species on offer up here), I headed back to the car as dark clouds gathered. The forecast had not been wrong - the journey back to London was almost one long downpour... :)

Cheers,

Dave
Last edited by millerd on Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David M

Post by David M »

That 'eastern edge' is always a good spot for them, Dave. I often think both DGFs and HBFs are attracted to higher points in the same way as the likes of Red Admirals & Wall Browns.

Good, fresh examples too. Glad you escaped the worst of the weather at what is a beautiful site.

Return to “High Brown Fritillary”