Grizzled Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2021

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 7

Well we (some of us that is) made it to the Social without the latest strain in the Greek alphabet scuppering our plans and now as the nights get longer and longer we’ve only got the Favourites thread to keep us going! Still soon be 2022 and then the new season is just round the corner…

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Another quick reminder that it might be a good idea to select your Overall Favourite Butterfly Photo of 2021 now if you haven’t done so already so that you’ve got something to post when the series of threads culminates in 14 weeks time…

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
overthepass

Re: Grizzled Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2021

Post by overthepass »

First photo from the North Downs near Chipstead in late May. Second photo from Martin Down in early June. Just a short while after arriving there a bank of thick and persistent cloud rolled in, which rather truncated the Marsh Fritillary observations. Searching for butterflies resting on the grasses, I was pleased to find this one.
Grizzled Skipper 1.jpg
Grizzled Skipper 2.jpg
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

A couple of favourites, a mating pair with a female ab. at Abbots Wood
Grizzled Skipper mating, Abbots Wood.JPG
and a pleaing context shot up in the chiltons whilst looking for Dukes
Grizzled Skipper, Ivinghoe Beacon.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

My most memorable sighting of this species has to be from Denbies Hillside on 3rd June. I had already seen quite a few of the species here over an unusually drawn-out season (that strange spring weather again), incuding several today. Then something different caught my eye - I knew what it was immediately, finding it amazing that such a relatively small difference on such a small butterfly should be so obvious in flight.
GS (taras)1 030621.JPG
It was the first ab. taras I had ever encountered.

Dave
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

An easy choice for me, I only saw two different examples in 2021, one at Bishops Hill in early June and one at Harbury Spoilbank a couple of weeks later. I originally thought that I had seen a couple at Bishops Hill in different spots but looking at the photos afterwards showed that it was always the same individual.
The second one at Harbury was a bit worn and I only managed a couple of record shots as it zipped about on a warm day but fortunately I had already got my favourite photo of the one at Bishops Hill.
Grizzled Skipper - Bishops Hill 03.06.2021
Grizzled Skipper - Bishops Hill 03.06.2021
Cheers,

Neil.
David M

Post by David M »

millerd wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:47 pmMy most memorable sighting of this species has to be from Denbies Hillside on 3rd June.
Beautiful ab., Dave. They don't seem to occur in Wales so this still eludes me. :(
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Grizzled Skipper

I’m breaking my own rule (again) with this species as I had a great year with them and there were so many pleasing shots picking a single one was nigh on impossible. Somehow I managed to whittle it down to two images in the end but between them I could not pick.
The first came from Martin Down in early June. It stood out then (and since in my memory) as when it flew it appeared almost white. The reason for this quickly became apparent when it paused as the leading edge of the fore wings were pure white. It was a cracking looking individual.
03-06-2021 13.JPG
The second came a few weeks later from The Devenish and whilst others were looking slightly jaded and worn this one was almost immaculate. It was so fresh in fact that as it pirouetted around the flower tops and caught the sun it shone with a coppery/bronze like sheen. Absolutely lush it was.
12-06-2021 16a.JPG
Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

This species emerged early at the Porthcawl site, with the first being seen in mid-April. I went down on 20th of that month and thankfully found a few:
1.GS3(1).jpg
Rosalyn

Post by Rosalyn »

Grizzled Skipper_0040.jpg
My favourite from Holme Fen, Cambridgeshire 9th May
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Grizzles were out around three weeks later than in recent years in my neck of the woods,the exception being Dungeness where they showed as normal around mid-April ,but once they got going they were about in good numbers .
My closest site done rather well after a very slow start ,that said ,i,ve concerns over next years Grizzles on the site ,as it has now become really overgrown , will have to try and get up there ,and do a little bit of (guesting !) maintainence !
Regards Allan.W.
P1260336 (2).JPG
P1280362.JPG
P1270475.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

Fantastic abs, Allan. Hopefully Goldie will get to see a few next year!!
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Thanks David .....................I,m very lucky to have them fairly close at hand ! And as you say hopefully Goldie will crack it next season ........................she knows where to look ! Regards Allan.W.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello all,
Just a short apology to Wurzel (as organiser) and all .....................a while back i posted 3 Grizzle shots as my favourites for 21' i,ve just realised that one of my shots (the "normal"one ) was actually taken in June 18 '! Don,t quite know how i managed this ! .......................Sorry about that !
Regards Allan.W.
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

Allan.W. wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:04 pm Hello all,
Just a short apology to Wurzel (as organiser) and all .....................a while back i posted 3 Grizzle shots as my favourites for 21' i,ve just realised that one of my shots (the "normal"one ) was actually taken in June 18 '! Don,t quite know how i managed this ! .......................Sorry about that !
Regards Allan.W.
Thanks Allan, I'm very glad you posted the image, because I've just added it to the Species Album as a primary reference image :D
https://ukbutterflies.co.uk/species.php?species=malvae

Vince

Return to “Grizzled Skipper”