Heath Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2021

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 7

Well we (some of us that is) made it to the Social without the latest strain in the Greek alphabet scuppering our plans and now as the nights get longer and longer we’ve only got the Favourites thread to keep us going! Still soon be 2022 and then the new season is just round the corner…

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Another quick reminder that it might be a good idea to select your Overall Favourite Butterfly Photo of 2021 now if you haven’t done so already so that you’ve got something to post when the series of threads culminates in 14 weeks time…

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
overthepass

Re: Heath Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2021

Post by overthepass »

These are from a very good trip to Blean Wood in mid-June, when they were plentiful in sunny conditions. Lots of activity going on which would probably result in any video posted on YouTube being taken down. Unfortunately it's difficult to capture the sheer abundance of such gatherings on still photos, so I've chosen a couple of individual shots.
Heath Fritillary 1.jpg
Heath Fritillary 2.jpg
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I rather like the inky, velvety blackness of this fresh individual.
Heath Fritillary, Belfairs Nature Reserve.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wolfson

Post by Wolfson »

I only visited a Heath Fritillary site once in 2021 and was a bit early, seeing only one. However, it was very fresh and tolerant of me photographing from various angles. I also found several caterpillars which was a bonus.
Attachments
Heath Fritillary, 6 June
Heath Fritillary, 6 June
Heath Fritillary, 6 June
Heath Fritillary, 6 June
Heath Fritillary, 6 June
Heath Fritillary, 6 June
millerd

Post by millerd »

I had two opportunities to see this butterfly in 2021, both hanging off trips to see other species. Firstly, I visited Hockley Woods on 10th June on the way back from the Swallowtails at Strumpshaw. This was early in the season, and I saw mostly males - looking rather dark under mostly overcast skies.
HF33 100621.JPG
HF26 100621.JPG
I followed this on 26th June by popping into nearby Pound Wood after almost overdosing on White-letter Hairstreaks near Leigh-on-Sea station. A brighter day, with brighter butterflies, including some of one of my favourite undersides.
HF25 260621.JPG
HF8 260621.JPG
HF9 260621.JPG
Dave
David M

Post by David M »

Caught up with this species for the first time in several years in the UK, at Haddon Hill on 16th June:
16a.HFmaleandfem(1).jpg
16a.HFmaleuns(1).jpg

Return to “Heath Fritillary”