Green Hairstreak - Favourite Photo of 2021

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 6

Is it Sunday already – where did that week go? A quick reminder that next week is the Social so hopefully Boris won’t come onto the TV and make any announcements about restrictions, Lockdowns etc. :?

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Another quick reminder that it might be a good idea to select your Overall Favourite Butterfly Photo of 2021 now if you haven’t done so already so that you’ve got something to post when the series of threads culminates in 14 weeks time…

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
Andy02

Re: Green Hairstreak - Favourite Photo of 2021

Post by Andy02 »

93014C33-4BE4-4790-8121-5E653E042DFF.jpeg
It appeared to be a good year for these. I saw them in several places. This one was on the Thames at East Tilbury
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I didn't take more than three shots of the Green Hair Streak this year and I was really pleased to do that not having seen it for a few years :D
I took the photos at Brooks in Kent on May 7th, hope fully I'll make my way back there next year :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_3686.jpeg
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Two flooky uppersides and a rather well marked underside get my vote this year :) .
Green Hairstreak, Denbies Hillside #1.JPG
Green Hairstreak, Wanstead Park.JPG
Green Hairstreak, Denbies Hillside #2.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Far from a perfect photo but it captures something of the habits and habitat of the species, and taken whilst trying to balance on a ludicrously steep and pitted downland slope, at a location which may well become my go-to location for this species (we will see next spring!). White Sheet Hill, Wiltshire, 1 June 2021.
P6010021.jpg
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

this one thought i couldn't see him :lol:

28th May 2021 at Barton Hills Bedfordshire

51210127610_1d0e78beb1_b (1).jpg
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Cannock Chase was a new site for me this year and my visit in late April provided my only 2021 sightings of Green Hairstreak. The area across the road from the Glacial Boulder Car park was very productive with good numbers flying around the large patches of bilberry.
Green Hairstreak - Cannock Chase 24.04.2021
Green Hairstreak - Cannock Chase 24.04.2021
Cheers,

Neil.
David M

Post by David M »

Matsukaze wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:11 pmFar from a perfect photo but it captures something of the habits and habitat of the species, and taken whilst trying to balance on a ludicrously steep and pitted downland slope, at a location which may well become my go-to location for this species (we will see next spring!).
Lovely perspective on the general habitat, Chris. Presume you saw Glanville Fritillary there that day too?
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

I did - photos on the appropriate thread in due course - though I doubt it will be there next year.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

"I did - photos on the appropriate thread in due course - though I doubt it will be there next year" - they've been there for a few years now so maybe they might become a regular feature :wink:

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Green Hairstreak

This Green Hairstreak was my favourite image from 2021 as it was one step closer to getting the metallic lustre across the underside of the wings. I don’t know how others do it but in some shots I’ve seen the wings look like highly polished surfaces almost like a green glazed mirror. Another reason for this choice was that it was sitting atop a Gorse bush in a new little bit of Martin Down that I discovered this year and I like the colour palette of the green with the yellow.
24-04-2021a 19.JPG

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Matsukaze wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:59 pmI did - photos on the appropriate thread in due course - though I doubt it will be there next year.
If they keep getting 'topped up' they will probably persist, Chris, but one very wet winter followed by a cold spring could wipe them out, which is what happened to the Sand Point colony in 2013.
David M

Post by David M »

Didn't see too many of these as their emergence coincided with that awful period of cold and damp weather in early May.

Always nice to see both the ones with developed streaks as well as those that have few or even none:
29.GH1(1).jpg
6.GH1(1).jpg
millerd

Post by millerd »

Wurzel wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:43 pm Green Hairstreak

...in some shots I’ve seen the wings look like highly polished surfaces almost like a green glazed mirror...

Wurzel
One of my most memorable shots of this species in 2021 was exactly as you describe, Wurzel. Somehow the angle of the light and perhaps the degree of wear made this individual look almost like a shiny sweet wrapper from a box of chocolates. A veritable Little Green Triangle in fact... :)
GH1 310521.JPG
It was also lacking any white markings. From Aston Rowant on 31st May.

There were also a couple of "in flight" shots I rather liked as something a bit different from the endless profiles. Firstly an aerial battle down at Denbies on 27th April (curiously in exactly the spot I found a Brown Hairstreak four months later)...
GH flight2 270421.JPG
...and another caught at the moment of takeoff in the northern part of Bedfont Lakes CP not far from home on 5th May.
GH1 050521.JPG
Cheers,

Dave

Return to “Green Hairstreak”