Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
millerd

Re: Trevor

Post by millerd »

I'll second that, Buggy - Peacocks are glorious creatures, and those are great shots of some beautiful fresh ones, Trevor. :)

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

trevor wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:58 pm..One of the Peacocks in particular was remarkably fresh and absolutely pristine.
All were found basking, waiting for what little sun there had been, to return. They were literally camera fodder!
Beautiful, vivid colours on those Peacocks, Trevor, particularly the first image. You must have been on a real high after that!
trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks Wurzel, Paul, Dave and David.
That first Peacock shot was the best image I've ever taken of that species.

This morning was clear and sunny, but cold. So I held little hope of finding anything.
Hope faded further with the car thermometer reading only 11c.
On arrival at Herstmoceux Castle I headed for a favourite south facing wall.
Although perceptibly warmer there, it was a full half hour before anything turned up,
the first was a Peacock, and later in the following hours by four Red Admirals.

The prize of the day was found as I thought about heading home when a solitary, fresh,
Small Copper drew my attention. This spent it's time between basking on a wall
and attempting to nectar. Even on a flower it was almost motionless.

It was a pleasure to meet Maria Dixon today. It was good to put a face to a name I have seen many times on the Sussex BC sightings page.

I think the fat Lady will be in concert soon,
Trevor.
Attachments
P1310028.JPG
P1310078.JPG
P1310067.JPG
P1310059.JPG
P1310053.JPG
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I had cloudies, Red Admiral, Comma, Small White's and a Common Blue yesterday in Sussex. I wonder if the fat lady is having to self isolate for a week :wink:
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely set of shots Trevor :D I still find my eyes drawn to the Small Copper, it lacking the margins really marks out the contrast between the chocolate and the orange 8) The overweight soprano is in full flow here now - but e might have an intermission on Monday :wink: :D

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Lovely autumnal shots, Trevor, even better that your posts are current :)
David M

Post by David M »

trevor wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:02 pm..That first Peacock shot was the best image I've ever taken of that species…
Certainly better than any I’ve ever taken, Trevor. The colours contrasting with that background are particularly radiant.
Maximus wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:47 pmLovely autumnal shots, Trevor, even better that your posts are current
Thanks for the reminder, Mike. Now that I’ve sorted my Andalusia trip I will ensure I catch up on domestic events.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely shots Trevor , I missed out this year on the Small Copper, yours looks great contrasting with the Blue of the flower :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Goldie :D
trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks everyone for your replies.

Nov 5th, THE END ?.
I was very grateful this morning when the Fat Lady granted an intermission
from her performance of ' Gales and deluge '.
For we had a cloudless sky and, more importantly, no breeze. But it was very cold.
Determined to get out, I headed over to Horseshoe Plantation in order to take advantage
of the east facing edge of the wooded area, which would be in full Sun.
After about half an hour a Comma landed on a distant leaf, and an image
was just about possible on full zoom. Later a minimum of three ( but possibly five )
Red Admirals were seen, and all but one settled high in the trees. The one that settled
low down was quite fresh and granted me about a dozen shots. While all this was going
on a taunting Speckled Wood was seen many times flitting through the tree tops, but was
never in any danger of coming within camera range. Another Comma ( or was in the same one again )
put in an appearance just as I was leaving.
I was pleased to come home with far more November butterflies than I had bargained for !.
Attachments
Distant Comma on elm, very near to the spot<br />where I saw my only White Letter Hairstreak this year.
Distant Comma on elm, very near to the spot
where I saw my only White Letter Hairstreak this year.
P1310098.JPG
First tree top Red Admiral.
First tree top Red Admiral.
Tree top Red Admiral No.2
Tree top Red Admiral No.2
The second Comma sighting.
The second Comma sighting.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Very good to find a few butterflies, Trevor. :mrgreen: There may even still be a few Cloudies down on the favoured coastal fringes of Sussex where the chilly nights are tempered by the sea.

I'm in Yorkshire this weekend - it was sunny and cold here today too, but nothing to be seen.

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great stuff Trevor :D :mrgreen: I love to bag a November butterfly but unfortunately I've been stuck at work during the calmer and drier days :? so have possibly the last :mrgreen: of 2021 8)

Have a godun and stay safe

Wurzel
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Great to see those November 5th butterflies, Trevor :) I guess this will not last much longer :(
David M

Post by David M »

Nice sightings, Trevor.

I should be getting used to seeing so many reports of butterflies in early November, but it still causes me to reflect, given how, in my youth, they tended to vanish by mid-October at latest.

We had another mild day here (13c) yesterday, and when the sun broke through occasionally it felt very pleasant. I guess it's no surprise that butterflies were active in various parts of the country, with Commas and Speckled Woods being particularly welcome.

I presume you had a couple of frosty mornings these last few days, which makes the appearance of these butterflies even more amazing.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Cheers Dave. A possible Clouded Yellow was on my mind at the time,
as I had photographed one there a few weeks back.

Cheers Wurzel, I managed just one more November butterfly today.

Thanks Mike. I would imagine you could have later November sightings over there.

Thanks David. A Speckled Wood today!. And I have included some views of the site.

Stay safe and well all,
Trevor.
trevor

Post by trevor »

This morning was mild, with the Sun shining through very thin high cloud.
I had only just stepped out into the garden when a Red Admiral flew feebly over, and out of sight.
With Friday's haul still fresh in mind I headed over to the same spot again.
But this time in nearly two hours I saw absolutely nothing. Baring in mind it was much milder than Friday,
and the Sun was warmer if milkier I was very surprised that nothing was around.
I decided to search further and was away from the favoured area for a short while. When I returned
there was a female Speckled Wood perched perfectly, soaking up the Sun, and within easy reach for a few shots.
She could well have been the same specimen that was seen flitting around the tree tops on Friday.

I have included some shots of the site, and of nearby Belle Tout lighthouse.
This is the exact spot where all this years Green Hairstreak and solitary White Letter images were taken.

Stay well all,
Trevor.
Attachments
P1310129.JPG
P1310125.JPG
P1310124.JPG
trevor

Post by trevor »

On Nov. 3rd I placed a composite image of the five UK Hairstreak species
on UK Butterflies facebook page. It seems quite a few people enjoyed it.
Attachments
P1310134.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I was one of the 'likes' Trevor :wink: :D You're doing/did well with the November sightings - the Dieting Diva kept doing encores for you :wink: 8)

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

I’m not surprised Trevor - some brilliant images there!
David M

Post by David M »

Nice Specklie, Trevor. Saw one myself last week but unlike you I didn't manage to get an image.

Great that you got good images of all five UK Hairstreaks this year - no mean feat! :mrgreen:
trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks David, Ben & Wurzel. Yes I do enjoy trying to eek out the last of the season,
but no personal records broken this year ( so far! ) a Brimstone on 21st Nov a few years ago holds that.

Now for two very significant events in 2021. TORTOISESHELL HEAVEN. Part 1..

My highlight of 2021 occurred as early in the new season as 21st March, when on a visit to Rowland Wood.
I had been photographing some Commas, after which I went for a wander as far as the old, dead, Beech tree.
With nothing else seen I started to return to where the Commas were flying. As I walked a large pinkish
coloured butterfly flew in from behind me. My instant conclusion was for an unlikely Painted Lady
at that time of year. I thought no more of it until a little later when I spotted the ' Painted Lady '
basking on the trunk of a distant Pine. Using full zoom I took two shots hoping to take more and get closer,
but unfortunately this was not to be and the butterfly flew off. It was then, when viewing my shots on playback
I realised the significance when the 'Painted Lady' turned out to be a Large Tortoiseshell !.
Was this real !, will I awake from a dream. I was certainly taken aback by the sheer surprise of the event.
My first though was to contact Neil Hulme, but I couldn't my Lap Top was broken!, so no image to sent him.

Anyway things were sorted through a friend and word was spread.
Attachments
P1250211.jpg

Return to “Personal Diaries”