Discussion forum for sightings.
David M

November 2021

Post by David M »

Last realistic chance of action....
David M

Re: November 2021

Post by David M »

Big surprise this morning - whilst leaving my house to go shopping at M&S just before 9am, I saw this Red Admiral flutter around briefly prior to settling on next door's patio door:
RA.jpg
millerd

Post by millerd »

Despite a distinct nip in the air today compared to recent ones, the sunshine made me feel fairly confident that I would see a Red Admiral or two on my local patch. I was proved right...
RA1 011121.JPG
However, that proved to be far from all I would see. There have been a few Holly Blues around recently, and they were also active this morning.
HB2 011121.JPG
HB1 011121.JPG
Not unusual for early November on this patch, but next came the first surprise. As I wandered across one of the open areas (still covered in flowers) I was passed by a rapid-flying orange butterfly. I set off in what I hoped was the same direction and remembered that there was a large thistle up that way that was still in bloom. Crossing my fingers that the species I reckoned I'd seen would be unable to pass it by, I approached. Luck was on my side - avidly nectaring on the thistle was a Painted Lady.
PL2 011121.JPG
PL1 011121.JPG
It was by no means pristine, and no doubt had been heading south over an extended period during the sunnier gaps between the rain and wind of recent days. After refuelling, it set off once again towards the sun and out of sight. Hopefully by nightfall it will reach a sheltered spot by the coast where the forecast frosty night won't reach it, and continue to warmer climes thereafter.

Amazingly, there was one further surprise in store. Along a bit of hedgerow where female Hollies had been seen a few days back, something larger moved between leaves. This was a brand new male Speckled Wood.
SpW1 011121.JPG
Overall tally for the day was eleven Red Admirals, two Holly Blues, one Painted Lady and one Speckled Wood. I can't say I was unhappy with that...

Is it really November? :o :)

Cheers,

Dave
aeshna5

Post by aeshna5 »

Just 2 Red Admirals for me in Richmond Park, west London.
David M

Post by David M »

millerd wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:53 pmIs it really November?
Not down your way seemingly, Dave. Four species on a November day is pretty spectacular - I've only seen the odd Red Admiral since mid-October.
Andy02

Post by Andy02 »

1EF9BBAB-B217-4D7A-B3ED-1123DB74C7A5.jpeg
0686007F-1404-4BE6-A49D-BED99496DEF3.jpeg
A good day in Essex today. 4 species and 16 individuals. Red admiral and small white being the other 2
millerd

Post by millerd »

It did feel a bit more like November first thing today when I was scraping ice off the windscreen, but there was a good amount of sunshine again, the wind was lighter and it eventually got up from that early low of 2 to the dizzy heights of 12 degrees.

Four species again today - but not quite the same four, there being two new ones to go with the reliable Red Admirals and Holly Blue. First came a couple of Small Whites, typically difficult to get close to.
SW1 021121.JPG
I then made my way to the area where the Painted Lady had appeared yesterday, and a Peacock settled nearby...
PK1 021121.JPG
...followed by another...
PK2 021121.JPG
...and then a third.
PK3 021121.JPG
My October sightings of the species were all in this area too, and I imagine all are second-brood butterflies.

Then came several Red Admirals, and finally I came up to a sallow with large leaves that Holly Blues find very attractive to bask on. Sure enough, sitting patiently waiting for the sun to free itself of some hazy cloud, was a fresh male Holly Blue.
HB1 021121.JPG
HB2 021121.JPG
I had to be patient too, but it was worth the wait.
HB4 021121.JPG
While I waited, this Red Admiral frequently tried to get in the way, but eventually settled a bit to one side.
RA1 021121.JPG
Six species for the month - fingers crossed for some more sunshine. :)

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

millerd wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:30 pm...I had to be patient too, but it was worth the wait.
Certainly was, Dave. That male looks really fresh. Seems that your area is regularly seeing additional brood specimens of this species. I wonder if they are able to successfully complete their life-cycle through November?
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

The White Admiral caterpillar that's decided to try and go through to adult without hibernating at Bookham is, remarkably, still with us and seems to be growing. A run of relatively benign days to come might well see it pupate..... a Christmas White Admiral :shock:
A phone picture.
A phone picture.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

David M wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:39 am Seems that your area is regularly seeing additional brood specimens of this species. I wonder if they are able to successfully complete their life-cycle through November?
I have seen third brood Hollies here every year for several years in varying numbers, David. One year I saw a female laying on 31st October, but I suspect that many of those seen so late will fail to generate any offspring that will have pupated in time for "proper" winter to set in. It is probably good that numbers of third brooders are low so there is little impact on the overall population from this generational dead end. However, from an observational perspective, they are for me one of the delights of late autumn, and because of the low strength of the sun at this time of year they are more inclined to bask wide open now than at any other time - as above.
bugboy wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:03 pm The White Admiral caterpillar that's decided to try and go through to adult without hibernating at Bookham is, remarkably, still with us and seems to be growing. A run of relatively benign days to come might well see it pupate..... a Christmas White Admiral :shock:
An extraordinary individual, Buggy - how has it avoided being eaten? :) Presumably if it does somehow manage to pupate and stay alive, it will spend far longer in that state than normal. To be honest I doubt very much that such a phenomenon has been documented in detail anywhere before.

Cheers,

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

millerd wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:40 pm..I have seen third brood Hollies here every year for several years in varying numbers, David. One year I saw a female laying on 31st October, but I suspect that many of those seen so late will fail to generate any offspring that will have pupated in time for "proper" winter to set in. It is probably good that numbers of third brooders are low so there is little impact on the overall population from this generational dead end. However, from an observational perspective, they are for me one of the delights of late autumn, and because of the low strength of the sun at this time of year they are more inclined to bask wide open now than at any other time..
Thanks, Dave. It's a topic worthy of research in my opinion. I wonder whether some butterfly species are genetically 'experimenting' with prolonged warmer conditions in British autumns, but without much current prospect of short-term success (although they obviously don't realise that).

Perhaps it's nature's way of coming up with a potential solution to to a climatic event. If it isn't at least attempted, then there will be no reward should these conditions become yet warmer in the future, whilst at the same time ensuring that the bulk of the population continue with the safer status quo approach (for the time being).

At what point do they/will they gain a long term advantage? If they do how quickly will the species move en masse to positively adapt to this approach?

When I was a child, Bonfire Night was always cold, i.e. 8-10 degrees during the day and 4-7 at night on average. For the last 10 years at least, this has changed so that those figures are now 11-15 degrees and 6-9 respectively. If, in 20 years, that becomes 13-17 and 8-11 then you would retrospectively applaud these butterflies for embarking on this change, as I suspect (in southern regions at least) that it would prove successful.
David M

Post by David M »

Weds 3rd - 10 Red Admirals seen at Nicholaston Burrows, Gower:
311.RA1(1).jpg
zigzag_wanderer

Post by zigzag_wanderer »

Just the one butterfly for me today.
Attachments
DSC07044 (2).JPG
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Holcombe, Somerset, 7 November. Bright sunshine and a somewhat battered Red Admiral flying and basking.
David M

Post by David M »

zigzag_wanderer wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:29 pmJust the one butterfly for me today.
Impressive, ZZW. Speckled Woods seem to be lasting longer than normal this year.
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

bugboy wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:03 pm The White Admiral caterpillar that's decided to try and go through to adult without hibernating at Bookham is, remarkably, still with us and seems to be growing. A run of relatively benign days to come might well see it pupate..... a Christmas White Admiral :shock:IMG-20211105-WA0000.jpeg
This has been a very interesting study so far Paul - great observations.
millerd

Post by millerd »

I spent last weekend in Wilberfoss up in Yorkshire, and whilst this is not an Admiral caterpillar, it does have white in its name...
SW cat 061121.JPG
It was feeding on nasturtiums as yet thriving and untainted by frost - as long as that situation continues it stands a decent chance of pupating. Despite some other feeding damage close by, I couldn't find any others. Seen on Saturday 6th November.

Cheers,

Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Benjamin wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:39 am
bugboy wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:03 pm The White Admiral caterpillar that's decided to try and go through to adult without hibernating at Bookham is, remarkably, still with us and seems to be growing. A run of relatively benign days to come might well see it pupate..... a Christmas White Admiral :shock:IMG-20211105-WA0000.jpeg
This has been a very interesting study so far Paul - great observations.
Sadly the White Admiral caterpillar is no longer in the land of the living, its deceased body does however still reside on his silk laden leaf :(
Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

Now back home, during a walk locally in bright conditions on Monday 8th I spotted two Red Admirals.

However, Tuesday 9th November was a different story. It was already 12 degrees at 0900, sunny and almost calm. I went out at 1030, and wished I'd gone earlier. It was warmer still (14-15 degrees) and no coat was required. Looking for Red Admirals on one of the usual patches of ivy I was instead greeted by no fewer than three Holly Blues. After gathering a selection of shots of these, I carried on past the sallow preferred as a basking spot by the species and promptly disturbed another from a dandelion by my feet. No matter - a fifth individual was sitting on the sallow itself. More Holly Blues than I've seen since early September!
HB2 091121.JPG
HB7 091121.JPG
HB10 091121.JPG
HB14 091121.JPG
HB15 091121.JPG
HB20 091121.JPG
Reaching another patch of ivy, I spotted a couple of worn Red Admirals as expected...
RA1 091121.JPG
RA2 091121.JPG
...then continued out onto the extensive grassland area. In the same spot as I had seen three last week, I disturbed another new-looking Peacock (I still think these are likely to be second brood rather than restless hibernating first brood).
PK1 091121.JPG
Returning to the starting point via yet another ivy patch, I came across another couple of Red Admirals, but then my eye was caught by something orange close to the grass. Expecting a Comma, I was surprised to find a Small Tortoiseshell (the last one I saw here was way back on 13th August). It looked a little careworn, and likely would have been disturbed from hibernation - maybe indoors and then released after battering itself against a window?
ST1 091121.JPG
A total of eleven butterflies of four species, and the November species tally here is now up to seven.

Cheers,

Dave
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Well I can’t compete with that, but I did see this Comma on my morning walk today.
777F5A50-C785-4357-98D9-1119CFDA7801.jpeg

Return to “Sightings”