millerd

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
millerd

Re: millerd

Post by millerd »

Monday 20th September was thankfully a much better day. Several dozens of butterflies were seen locally, and a highlight of the day was a female Large White. Curiously they are not a common sight anywhere on my local patch, and those that are seen are usually relatively high up in the trees along the edges of bits of woodland. Consequently, this reasonably fresh female was a bit of a bonus. She did lead me a merry dance from flower to flower in the sunshine, much as a female Cloudie might do.
LW3 200921.JPG
LW2 200921.JPG
LW5 200921.JPG
Brand new Red Admirals now dominated proceedings (and would continue to do so for several weeks more).
RA1 200921.JPG
RA2 200921.JPG
RA5 200921.JPG
One was so fresh, its wings caught the light and showed a blue sheen across the wingtips.
RA8 200921.JPG
With the trees remaining resolutely green and no sign of autumn yet, they made a very summery sight.
RA4 200921.JPG
I could not ignore the Small Coppers either...
SC10 200921.JPG
SC4 200921.JPG
...one of which was by now a familiar sight.
SC5 200921.JPG
Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

Tuesday 21st September was if anything a better day still, with more sunshine and a high of 22 degrees locally. A few more butterflies than Monday, including one more species (making 11 seen on the day). A different selection ended up as the highlights too. A shining third brood Brown Argus appeared...
BA1 210921.JPG
BA2 210921.JPG
...and an interesting female Common Blue.
CB1 210921.JPG
After a bit of a lull, the Commas were back in force with 18 counted today altogether. Some were puddling - quite unusual behaviour for butterflies that you'd expect would be feeding up for hibernation.
Comma1 210921.JPG
Comma2 210921.JPG
The additional species today was a Holly Blue...
HB2 210921.JPG
...and though I spotted another female Large White, it was a female GVW that provided the best opportunities today.
GVW3 210921.JPG
GVW2 210921.JPG
Just one Small Copper today, but that almost goes without saying...
SC3 210921.JPG
Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

The run of summery weather continued on Wednesday 22nd September. With eight hours of sunshine and highs of 23 degrees it bettered most of August and the whole of May... :) I didn't see quite as many butterflies today though, but again I seemed to concentrate on a slightly different mix. A (distinctly creamy) female Small White today for example...
SW1 220921.JPG
...a Small Heath...
SH1 220921.JPG
...and a Speckled Wood.
SpW1 220921.JPG
As well as another example of the infinitely variable female Common Blue...
CB2 220921.JPG
CB3 220921.JPG
...I also caught up with a few males.
CB4 220921.JPG
CB5 220921.JPG
CB6 220921.JPG
CB7 220921.JPG
This one caught the light rather strangely.
CB9 220921.JPG
A few more Red Admirals completed the day (including the beautiful intricately patterned underside)...
RA5 220921.JPG
...and a couple with remarkably bulging abdomens - egg-laden females?
RA1 220921.JPG
RA2 220921.JPG
There were two additions to the Small Copper population today...
SC2 220921.JPG
SC7 220921.JPG
...plus the established resident posing as usual.
SC1 220921.JPG
Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

Thursday 23rd September required a change of scene, so I decided to pay Denbies one more visit while the weather remained warm. It was not so sunny today, though, but in the end I suspect it made not a great deal of difference. The hillside had become almost monospecific - there were still good numbers of Meadow Browns, but precious little else. However, I suppose this is what you might expect (though I have seen various blues flying here in October in past years).

Somehow, I managed to find a male Adonis...
AB3 230921.JPG
...and what I think is a female Chalkhill.
ChB1 230921.JPG
To be fair, there were still a few Small Heaths dotted around among the preponderance of Meadow Browns...
SH3 230921.JPG
SH2 230921.JPG
...and this Speckled Wood caught me by surprise well away from the trees.
SpW1 230921.JPG
However, since they actually turned out to be worth a closer look, I concentrated on the Meadow Browns - all females.
MB1 230921.JPG
MB2 230921.JPG
MB4 230921.JPG
MB6 230921.JPG
MB8 230921.JPG
MB9 230921.JPG
It's the only time of year they get this much attention! :) One or two were really quite pale.

Finally, I managed a shot of a raptor that came unusually close overhead.
hawk 230921.JPG
It was silouhetted against the sky, but I've tweaked the shot to increase what detail there is - no doubt someone will instantly identify it for me...(I know it's not a Red Kite! :) )

Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

It's a Kestrel :)
Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

Thanks for the ID on the Kestrel, Buggy. I know other raptors fly at Denbies, so I thought I'd check... :)

On Friday 24th September, another promising day weatherwise, I went out a bit further, braving the possibility of unruly dogs and heading once more to High & Over. Arriving at the same time were a couple of vaguely familiar faces: Lisa who I had met before almost exactly a year before at Whitehawk Hill with LTB on the menu, and Bob, a habitue of H & O, who was showing Lisa around with Walls particularly in mind. Good to see you both again, and indulge in a good natter. :)

There were certainly several of the target species around, all males patrolling the hedge on the seaward side out of the breeze. In the absence of its namesake to rest on, this one elected for the next best thing.
Wall8 240921.JPG
They were more skittish than they'd been a week before, and less inclined to bask.
Wall7 240921.JPG
Wall5 240921.JPG
Wall2 240921.JPG
However, that did allow for some underside shots of one of the more attractive examples around.
Wall3 240921.JPG
Wall6 240921.JPG
While Bob and Lisa were following some of the others, I came across first a Peacock (very unobliging)...
PK1 240921.JPG
...and then a Clouded Yellow.
CY1 240921.JPG
Curiously, the only other example of this species I've seen up here in previous years was actually in even worse a state than this one! Also seen were a Small Copper, plus several Red Admirals and Speckled Woods. There was also one other good sighting - a Humming-bird Hawkmoth appeared and busied itself in flitting rapidly between flowers. Lisa had never seen one before and we gave her free rein to gather photos with some equipment several orders of magnitude more sophisticated than mine - I know how my Hummer photos usually turn out... :) She was really chuffed to have seen it too.

Once again conscious that the days were ever shorter now, in order to take in another site I bade farewell and drove west along to Mill Hill behind Shoreham. I was hopeful that there might be some late season bounty here, but it was very disappointing - even the large patch of hemp agrimony at the top of the hillside (which in other years had played host to a variety of nymphalids) managed just one Peacock.
PK2 240921.JPG
PK1 240921.JPG
A bit of an anticlimax really.

Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

Saturday 25th September was another day with no sunshine and it was a struggle to see any butterflies. However, these two defied the odds.

Firstly a very new-looking Small White...
SW1 250921.JPG
...and then a Small Heath with a tiny additional eyespot.
a glimpse of upperside, but not quite enough to see the forewing eyespot on the upper surface
a glimpse of upperside, but not quite enough to see the forewing eyespot on the upper surface
SH2 250921.JPG
This addition was slightly larger on the other side.
SH4 250921.JPG
Of course it was not quite possible to see how this might manifest on the upperside.

This is not a variation I've come across before - whether it counts as an aberration I don't know.

Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

Sunday 26th September was a better day again. I saw 33 butterflies of nine species on my local patch, but a sign of the declining season was that two of these were their last appearances here of the year: Large White (male) and Brimstone (female). I achieved no photos of either, but the latter butterfly was flying in a very unsteady fashion fairly close to one of the patches of buckthorn in the hedgerow. I hoped it would land, but after a bit of dithering it chose to head out over the river. Something must have woken it from hibernation.

I caught up again with the Small Copper I'd been following for the previous fortnight, which posed today on a large daisy.
SC1 260921.JPG
There were one or two others around today too, including a similar individual with the same vestige of blue spots, but with a very noticeable hindwing tear.
SC2 260921.JPG
SC4 260921.JPG
Another was even more ripped about the wings.
SC3 260921.JPG
The variant Small Heath seen on the 25th was around again too...
SH1 260921.JPG
...and another rather more worn one.
SH2 260921.JPG
Who knows? This could be yesterday's Small White as well.
SW1 260921.JPG
New Commas continue to appear - I still can't get over the contrast with this time last year when so few were seen despite similar good weather.
Comma1 260921.JPG
Comma4 260921.JPG
Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Not sure where to begin with the catching up Dave :shock: :lol: So jumping right on in...brilliantly marked Green-veined White and lovely fresh Brown Argus :D 8) Nice collection of Meadow Browns as well including an ab for sure 8) :mrgreen: and a cracking Small Heath variant 8) :mrgreen:

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I missed out on the Butterflies quite a lot this year Dave, so it's great to see yours :D Goldie :D
millerd

Post by millerd »

Cheers, Wurzel. As you may have noticed, I'm trying to catch up before Christmas, which means whipping through the days a bit quickly! Hopefully I won't overlook anything significant... :)

Thank you, Goldie - you are going to find Kent is terrific for butterflies, and depending where exactly you end up, you may find all kinds of interesting things in the garden. When I lived in Dover some years ago now, I remember Walls and Chalkhill Blues being the best garden visitors. :)

It was cooler and less sunny on Monday 27th September, and there were noticeably fewer butterflies. However, a new male Common Blue, almost certainly third brood at this stage of proceedings, was worthy of some extra attention.
CB6 270921.JPG
CB5 270921.JPG
CB3 270921.JPG
It was also impossible to ignore the continued appearance of new Commas with their brilliant orange autumnal colours - not that there was any real sign of those colours in the trees around here yet.
Comma1 270921.JPG
Comma7 270921.JPG
Dave
Last edited by millerd on Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Tuesday 28th September was a similar day, with similar butterfly numbers. However, the mix was slightly different. A fresh Holly Blue....
HB1 280921.JPG
...the variant Small Heath again...
SH1 280921.JPG
...and a Painted Lady resting briefly on its mission south.
PL1 280921.JPG
There were a few more bright Commas...
Comma1 280921.JPG
...and another surge in Red Admiral numbers. The 12 seen today turned out to just be the beginning.
RA6 280921.JPG
RA7 280921.JPG
Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

There now followed two rather contrasting days. Both had highs of around 17 degrees, but on Wednesday 29th September there were 8 hours of sunshine, and on Thursday 30th there was none at all.

Unsurprisingly, butterfly appearances followed the sun - I counted 25 Red Admirals on 29th, but only 8 on 30th (actually pretty good considering the lack of sun). Inevitably, lots of Red Admiral photos followed on 29th...
RA2 290921.JPG
ab. fructa
ab. fructa
a dragonfly in shot too
a dragonfly in shot too
three in a row
three in a row
ab. bialbata
ab. bialbata
becoming commoner in the background again
becoming commoner in the background again
...but I managed one or two others, including Small Coppers...
SC2 290921.JPG
...one of which was quite familiar now...
SC3 290921.JPG
...and also a female Speckled Wood.
SpW1 290921.JPG
The Red Admirals on 30th must have been hardier individuals.
RA1 300921.JPG
RA2 300921.JPG
Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

A quick overview of September locally (weather stats are those for Heathrow)...

Overall, the month was unusually warm, with an average high of 22.3 degrees, slightly higher than that for August, near enough the same as June's and six degrees above that for May. There was about four hours of sun a day on average, better than August's three especially bearing in mind how much shorter September days are. A couple of days reached 30 degrees (7th & 8th) and the lowest high was 17 degrees (on 29th and 30th). No nights were colder than 7 degrees, and there were five when the temperature didn't drop below 17. To summarise, September in essence qualified as a fourth summer month.

Fifteen different butterfly species were seen here during the month (including a solitary Clouded Yellow, and just the one Brimstone), and butterflies were seen on every day. Probably the most notable highlight was the high number of Commas of the new brood destined for hibernation - very few were seen in the whole of the same month of 2020, but as many as 24 appeared on just one day in 2021. Small Whites and Small Heaths also had good months, Common Blue numbers remained buoyant after an excellent August, and Speckled Woods had their best period of the year. After a very poor showing earlier in the year, Red Admiral numbers also started to rise, especially towards the end of the month. The last Meadow Brown of the year was seen on 19th.

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I'll be lucky to have even finsshed August by Christmas Dave :shock: :wink: Lovely Commas and Admirals and that is a lovely but late Common Blue :D 8) The highlight this time for me is that penultimate Red Admiral - such a lot of blue packed into the tiny area on the hind wing :D 8)

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

That female Green Veined White in an earlier post is possibly the most striking I've ever seen, Dave. :mrgreen:

Do you get many marked as heavily as that one or was it a one-off?
millerd

Post by millerd »

Cheers, Wurzel! :) There have been just so many Red Admirals round here recently that someone with time on their hands could spend many a happy hour looking through photos picking out all the variants. :) I'll see what pops up over the next four or five weeks of sightings... :wink:
David M wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:32 am That female Green Veined White in an earlier post is possibly the most striking I've ever seen, Dave. :mrgreen:

Do you get many marked as heavily as that one or was it a one-off?
I have seen a few well-marked females round here, David, but that one is particularly striking as you say. In the absence of the attractive Bath and Dappled Whites in the UK, GVW do their best to fill the gap. :)

So, into October. Friday 1st was a bit warmer again, with some sunshine. Out of 27 butterflies seen locally today, 22 were Red Admirals - a pattern that would now continue, and as of the time of typing (2nd November) still does.
RA5 011021.JPG
RA9 011021.JPG
RA13 011021.JPG
One of the others turned out to be the last sighting of a Small Heath here this year.
SH1 011021.JPG
A particular Small Copper was naturally one of the others...
SC1 011021.JPG
SC2 011021.JPG
...and one or two Commas continue to appear, but most seem to have tucked themselves away for the winter now.
Comma1 011021.JPG
Dave
Last edited by millerd on Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Saturday October 2nd was a rare day - the first since 30th July when I didn't see a butterfly. The weather was grey, dull, damp and not especially warm - even the Red Admirals hid away.

However, Sunday 3rd October was a great improvement, with sunshine and 18 degree temperatures. The Red Admirals proceeded to make up for the lost day, and during a lengthy circular walk locally taking in all the likely spots, I managed to count an astonishing 48 individuals - it could well have been more, as spotting those hiding with their wings shut round the back of ivy-covered trees just wasn't going to happen.

I only saw another seven butterflies of other species: two Small Coppers, two Commas, a Holly Blue, one Small White and a Peacock.

One of the Coppers needs no introduction...
SC1 031021.JPG
...but the second was mixing it with the Red Admirals on one of the ivy patches, and it proved impossible to get more than a record shot. A first for this particular spot.
SC3 031021.JPG
One of the Commas was in the same area...
Comma1 031021.JPG
...as was the Holly Blue, but I couldn't even get a distant shot of that one.

The Peacock followed on from a couple of odd sightings in September, and may well be a second brood example - they've been seen elsewhere.
PK1 031021.JPG
In amongst all those Red Admirals, there were some lovely new examples, and I took one or two photos, but this diary will become super-saturated with the species if I'm not careful...
RA4 031021.JPG
RA8 031021.JPG
RA9 031021.JPG
RA11 031021.JPG
Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

Monday 4th October was a similar sort of day, though I only managed to count 32 Red Admirals and just four other species. One of these four species was the Small White and one of the four individuals seen provided some photo opportunities for once. It was a female, and noticeably pale creamy-yellow rather than actually white.
SW3 041021.JPG
SW9 041021.JPG
SW10 041021.JPG
SW12 041021.JPG
Three Commas were seen today...
Comma1 041021.JPG
Comma4 041021.JPG
...a single Holly Blue that ended up presenting a non-standard angle...
HB3 041021.JPG
HB4 041021.JPG
...and the visit wouldn't have been complete without this little chap.
SC2 041021.JPG
Since his first appearance on 12th September, other Small Coppers have come and gone, but he has persisted, though his blue caeruleopunctata spots have almost disappeared ... :)

For the sake of completeness, a couple of Red Admirals (though I did get shots of a few more... :wink: ).
RA6 041021.JPG
RA5 041021.JPG
Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

Tuesday 5th October was another "blank" day, without a butterfly sighting. At this time of year the worry starts to creep in that maybe that's it, the season is over, nothing till March... Until the next day dawns sunny and becomes warm again. :)

Which is what happened on Wednesday 6th October. 18 degrees was the high, and eight hours of sunshine were recorded at Heathrow, which is pretty good for the time of year. The day of enforced rest must have suited the butterflies, as 55 appeared today. Okay, 41 were Red Admirals, but the remaining 14 were spread across seven species.

The return of a false "summer" must have disturbed a Brimstone, which I saw purposefully making its way along the brambles as if it was indeed March. However, I couldn't will it to stop any more than I'll be able to when it (hopefully) reappears next spring. Everything else was similar to recent days, with the addition of three Speckled Woods, none of which cooperated any more than the Brimstone did. A Holly Blue was better behaved today...
HB2 061021.JPG
HB1 061021.JPG
...and the Small White that allowed a closer approach was a worn male rather than a new female.
SW1 061021.JPG
One of today's Commas was posing on the blackberries, which they do find irresistible.
Comma4 061021.JPG
Comma6 061021.JPG
Comma7 061021.JPG
Comma5 061021.JPG
Red Admirals are quite partial to them as well...
RA2 061021.JPG
...but ivy blossom seems to divert almost all their attention.
RA11 061021.JPG
RA12 061021.JPG
RA1 061021.JPG
Oh, I nearly forgot...
SC1 061021.JPG
He was obviously happy to have a day off too.

Dave

Return to “Personal Diaries”