Bedfordshire Sites News - Some Good and Some Bad

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
Old Wolf

Bedfordshire Sites News - Some Good and Some Bad

Post by Old Wolf »

First the good news:
An article in a circular that we have delivered had some interesting information on some exciting habitat creation at two popular Bedfordshire sites: Pegsdon Hills and Totternhoe Quarry.
Banking on Butterflies.pdf
(764.94 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
Additional information can be found here at the web address at the bottom of the page, including in progress pics of the Pegsdon site.

Now for the bad:
A trip to Bison Hill (Dunstable) a month or so ago, I found out that the banks of the hill had been cut into to allow for heavy plant to access the lower part of the hill. This isn't the whole way down but from the switchback that leads up to the woods. The bottom of the banks on either side has been removed and the ground was a mess of muddy caterpillar tracks.

I should have taken pictures to better explain where it is and how bad it is but I didn't which is a shame. It was devastating to see somewhere I have spent many hours on the hunt for DofB, GHS, Dingy and Grizzlies (incidentally the first time I have seen two of these species were here) in such a state.

If anyone has been back since I would be keen to know that state of the banks now.
Old Wolf.

Return to “Sites”