October 2021

Discussion forum for sightings.
millerd

Re: October 2021

Post by millerd »

An unforecast long spell of warm sunshine on my local patch today brought forth all the familiar faces: 14 Red Admirals and singletons of each of Small White, Common Blue, Holly Blue, Comma and Small Copper (yes, that one - celebrating at least its five-week birthday).
RA2 161021.JPG
CB1 161021.JPG
Comma1 161021.JPG
SC2 161021.JPG
Cheers,

Dave
Deborah

Post by Deborah »

A warm day and a trip to the coast in case of any late season sightings.
A Blue - upperwing only - and this brown which I didn’t see fly off to see more.
I’m thinking the Blue is a Common Blue? And the Brown has me stumped... it looks a bit like a Meadow Brown, but surely it’s too late?
Whatever they are it was a stunning day!
Attachments
9DBFA6F6-56EF-4C5E-B160-4714F371A36D.jpeg
6951452D-D4B6-4C6F-9C6A-82AD1725FDD8.jpeg
David M

Post by David M »

That's a Meadow Brown, Deborah. They continue into October in some parts of southern Britain so it follows that they do likewise in France.

I saw a few in southern Spain a week ago (all females) so the last of them are still going.

Common Blue is also to be expected in October if the species has an additional brood.
Deborah

Post by Deborah »

Thanks David. At least I now know that I can recognise a Meadow Brown at 10 paces :D and I’m finally getting to grips with at least some Blues!
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

An afternoon at Bookham today to see how some of the youngsters are going (the forecast promised some sun but this was predictably wrong until it was too late) threw up an unfortunate little surprise. One of the White Admiral cats has made a grave error of judgement and chosen to forgo hibernation. He looks like a young 5th instar so assuming it survives the hoards of noisy Tits and there are no frosts it might emerge in November or possibly even early December if mild weather allows it :( .
IMG_0030.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Lizard/Kynance Cove, Cornwall, 16 October. Plenty of Large Whites, chasing and nectaring on red campion. Also Small White, Small Tortoiseshell and Speckled Wood. Conditions were right for Monarch or Clouded Yellow but there were none to be seen.
millerd

Post by millerd »

bugboy wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:27 pm ...One of the White Admiral cats has made a grave error of judgement and chosen to forgo hibernation. He looks like a young 5th instar...
An extraordinary find, Buggy. Hopefully a few green leaves remain for him to eat to at least give him a chance of pupating. Unfortunately the splendid camouflage that both late instar caterpillars and pupae of this species display doesn't work so well in Autumn as it does in late spring... On the other hand, it may make it easier for you to continue to monitor this individual. :)

Today (19th) became unusually warm (and sunny with it) towards the end of the morning. In fact I believe the temperature reached a summery 21 degrees at Heathrow just to the east of me. The downside was a strong and gusty wind, though that didn't seem to put the butterflies off. On my usual walk, I counted 14 Red Admirals (mostly up on the ivy, but also some skulking around the nettles at low level)...
RA1 191021.JPG
RA2 191021.JPG
...plus three male Holly Blues (two squabbling on the ivy as well, but one elsewhere patrolling the hedgerow).
HB5 191021.JPG
HB4 191021.JPG
HB3 191021.JPG
HB2 191021.JPG
HB1 191021.JPG
I then approached a certain territory, wondering as I do every time now whether it would be empty - but there was no need to worry, as a familiar insect braved the wind and fell out of the air not far away (age has definitely diminished any grace and poise he once had!).
SC1 191021.JPG
I am pretty confident that this Small Copper is now a minimum of 38 days old.

Cheers,

Dave
zigzag_wanderer

Post by zigzag_wanderer »

Unlike millerd and you other lucky 'uns, it definitely looks like my butterfly season has all but packed up for the year.

I went out to my local fields on Sunday for an hour when the weather improved just to see what if anything was about. I did spot 3 Red Admirals and one Comma, but that was it. No whites, blues, Small Coppers or Speckled Woods about as far as I could see.

I did spot (I believe) a pair of mating caddisflies, a final instar common green shieldbug nymph, a frog hopper, a rusty-dot pearl moth, a female dark bush cricket and a few other sundry autumnal items, but no lingering Clouded Yellow.

As you know, I can't do a post like this without a couple of queries.

- Can anyone ID the looping moth caterpillar ?
- Is the large cotton-wool like ball on the grass head some kind of insect nest ? Looks very big for spiders. It was dense, unlike cuckoo spit.

Thanks in advance for any guidance on those.
Attachments
DSC06841 (2).JPG
DSC06846 (2).JPG
DSC06858 (2).JPG
DSC06862 (2).JPG
DSC06867 (2).JPG
DSC06869 (2).JPG
DSC06877 (2).JPG
DSC06881 (2).JPG
DSC06884 (2).JPG
DSC06894 (2).JPG
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

bugboy wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:27 pm An afternoon at Bookham today to see how some of the youngsters are going (the forecast promised some sun but this was predictably wrong until it was too late) threw up an unfortunate little surprise. One of the White Admiral cats has made a grave error of judgement and chosen to forgo hibernation. He looks like a young 5th instar so assuming it survives the hoards of noisy Tits and there are no frosts it might emerge in November or possibly even early December if mild weather allows it :( .
IMG_0030.JPG
It may be possible that it could overwinter as a pupa, some nymphalids that dont normally diapause in any stages are slowing down development in the colder weather, its easier in the pupa stage too. Heliconius pupae and Deaths Head Hawks can be done at the correct temperature. Red Admirals now seem to be going through the winter in all stages, ditto Clouded Yellows. Day length is also a factor for pupae and cocoons. If you keep green-veined white pupae in the dark in summer they overwinter, or hatch if you bring them out into more daylight.
David M

Post by David M »

millerd wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:07 pm...I am pretty confident that this Small Copper is now a minimum of 38 days old.
That Small Copper is indestructible, Dave!! :D I hope it'll carry on for a little while yet.

Lovely Holly Blues too, although I feel a bit sorry for them emerging at this time of year. They'll have to spend a fair bit of time sheltering from the adverse elements.
millerd

Post by millerd »

David M wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:29 am
That Small Copper is indestructible, Dave!! :D I hope it'll carry on for a little while yet.
Unfortunately, despite another warm sunny day, I could find no trace of the familiar Copper this morning in his usual patch.
Copper territory 201021.JPG
The weather last night was pretty wild of course, with lashing rain and strong winds, so he may well have succumbed to the elements at long last. However, just as I was reluctantly giving up my search, another (rather unexpected) butterfly appeared in front of me - a new-looking Painted Lady. It paused to bask briefly on the ground before bowling rapidly along in the breeze between short nectar stops on the still-flowering knapweed and thistles. Hopefully it will make it to Southern Europe before any really evil weather reaches us.
PL2 201021.JPG
Some things begin as others end... It was quite an uplifting moment. :)

More Red Admirals and Holly Blues were seen as well, but they seemed to lack much significance today.

Cheers,

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

millerd wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:44 pm...Unfortunately, despite another warm sunny day, I could find no trace of the familiar Copper this morning in his usual patch...
Looks like his number must be up. :(

Pretty good innings for a Small Copper though. Hopefully you may come across it again before things turn wintry.
David M

Post by David M »

Sunday 10th - Small Tortoiseshell in both my neighbour's and my garden this afternoon:
10.SmTort(1).jpg
10.SmTort2(1).jpg
millerd

Post by millerd »

David M wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:36 pm
millerd wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:44 pm...Unfortunately, despite another warm sunny day, I could find no trace of the familiar Copper this morning in his usual patch...
Looks like his number must be up. :(

Pretty good innings for a Small Copper though. Hopefully you may come across it again before things turn wintry.
It looks unlikely now, David. No trace of the Copper today either - but then it was another wild and very wet night and it's distinctly chilly this morning despite lots of sunshine.

Curiously though, when I visited the territory again at lunchtime today, I found the Common Blue that had been the Copper's antagonist for a few days. This had first appeared on 11th, and had last been seen on 16th. (I have to assume it's the same one - there haven't been any others around anywhere.)
CB1 211021.JPG
You'd almost imagine that it had been chased off the Copper's territory, but in the latter's absence had now returned to lord over it unmolested. It is a warm slightly east-of-south facing spot with more shelter than you'd guess by looking at it. This may partly account for the longevity of the Small Copper, and why both third brood Brown Argus and Common Blue have appeared here this October. And yesterday's Painted Lady of course!

Red Admirals again today too (14 of them), but nothing else seen.
RA1 211021.JPG
RA2 211021.JPG
RA4 211021.JPG
Cheers,

Dave
Medard

Post by Medard »

A beautiful day so Mrs Medard decided a day out would lift the covid blues, so Barrington Court here we come, despite having to drive through a flooded section of road , apparently Hambridge had a very heavy overnight storm, when we arrived at Barrington Court the gardens were well past their best, passing through the walled gardens to my surprise two Red Admirals were seen following our example enjoying the warm sun, the rose garden produced a caterpillar,  I am hoping someone can identify it, a few photos of the house and gardens for those who have not had the pleasure of visiting Barrington.
https://jamesgibbs6929.zenfolio.com/
Attachments
MAY_6549.jpg
MAY_6493.jpg
MAY_6485.jpg
MAY_6443.jpg
MAY_6383.jpg
MAY_6366.jpg
zigzag_wanderer

Looks like a great place to visit James. I love walled gardens.

You certainly had the weather for it.

The moth caterpillar looks very like a Knot Grass to me - but I might be corrected on that ;-)
aeshna5

Post by aeshna5 »

Agree with Knotgrass for the caterpillar.
zigzag_wanderer

Butterfly-wise, I saw a single Red Admiral today at work - but that was it.

Along with caddisflies I am seeing a lot of Nettle-tap moths and I also spotted what I assume must be a Diamond-back moth. Very small thing but by the look of their write-up possibly a partner-in-crime with the Small Whites on the ornamental cabbage demolition.

Separating 8 x one litre pots of thyme which had become matted together in the trays, I noticed a nest amongst the pots of one tray, built from the soft felt material lining the weed-resistant mat floor. Pretty sure it's voles and they seem to love the ornamental grasses nearby, judging by the tray next to the nest. A fair bit of storage/poopage evidence.

The nest was now empty I believe.
Attachments
Common Nettle-tap moth on nettle (natch)
Common Nettle-tap moth on nettle (natch)
Tray showing vole nest built between pots
Tray showing vole nest built between pots
Same tray with all pots removed
Same tray with all pots removed
Adjacent tray with pots removed
Adjacent tray with pots removed
Diamond-back moth
Diamond-back moth
zigzag_wanderer

....and yes, ornamental cabbage is a thing.
aeshna5

Post by aeshna5 »

3 Red Admirals, 3 Small White & 3 Migrant Hawkers while birding on Two Tree Island, Essex yesterday-pretty breezy but some sunny spells.

Return to “Sightings”