Lepidopterology: Definition and History

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
PhilM

Post by PhilM »

I thought I would post a short article here that I originally wrote for my website in case anybody finds it interesting. I would love any comments, critique or error corrections to help me see if I'm on the right track. I've only been writing butterfly and moth related articles for a few months but would like to take it further if I'm any good at it, hence the requests for your comments. Thanks for reading it.

Overview
Lepidopterology is the study of butterflies and moths which make up the animal kingdom order Lepidoptera. It is a branch of entomology, the study of insects, which in itself is a branch of zoology, the study of the animal kingdom. A person who studies Lepidoptera is known as a Lepidopterist. He or she may be involved in researching the identity, behaviour, anatomy, habitats and population fluctuations of these insects. Professional level lepidopterists are usually educated to doctorate level.

The word lepidopterology has its origins in the ancient Greek language, translated into modern English as 'scale-wing'. It was adopted as the name for the scientific study of the animal order Lepidoptera in 1899. Prior to this, a person studying butterflies and moths was known as an aurelian. Nowadays, there is less distinction between professional and amateur study when using the word, indeed many of the greatest contributors to our knowledge of butterflies and moths have been non-professionals.

Lepidoptera Collecting
Historically, butterfly and moth collecting was a pastime enjoyed by many. The practice involved capturing live specimens, killing them and mounting them in glass display cases in order to catalogue them and marvel at their beauty. This was most prevalent during the Victorian period when wealthy collectors would fund expeditions across the planet to seek out the biggest, rarest or prettiest examples. Others adopted a more scientific approach and collected species in order to classify them or discover anatomical marvels of their time. Significant historic collections still exist in museums.

Most countries across the world have now introduced laws that prevent the collecting and killing of wild animals, including butterflies and moths, in order to protect them. Licences are occasionally issued to qualified professionals under exceptional circumstances. Heavy fines and even internment can result for those that choose to ignore these laws. The days of butterfly collecting as a hobby are thankfully largely over. Instead, enthusiasts, students and researchers now have access to a huge amount of information in books and scientific texts, at museums, on TV and throughout the internet. The best place to observe butterflies and moths is of course in the wild, their natural environment. There, enthusiasts can watch and record behaviour: something not available from deceased Lepidoptera in a display case.

At the time, many historic collectors did not realise the harm that wild animal collecting was doing. They believed they were adding to human knowledge and most were, we would not have the understanding of butterflies and moths that we enjoy today without them. Their collections are regularly studied by scientists, even now in the 21st century.

Some notable historic lepidopterists:-

Jean Boisduval was a 19th century French lepidopterist, entomologist, botanist, and collector. He is recognised for his collection of Sphingidae (Sphinx Moths) which is now in the care of The Carnegie Museum of Natural History in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA. Other Lepidoptera in his collection were sold privately. Notable butterfly and moth related works include "General history and illustrations of the Lepidoptera and caterpillars of Northern America" and "California Lepidoptera".

Sir Winston Churchill was British Prime Minister from 1940 to 1945 and again from 1951 to 1955. As a child in the 1880s he was an avid amateur lepidopterist, collecting and examining specimens around his school. Interest continued throughout his life, stimulated by travels to Cuba, South Africa and India. Later, at his Chartwell home, Churchill had a passion for breeding British species which he delighted in releasing into the wild once they had reached adulthood. The National Trust has rebuilt his butterfly house at Chartwell and are attempting to recreate his breeding methods.

Margaret Fountaine was a wealthy British lepidopterist, natural history illustrator, diarist, and traveller. Her diaries "Love Among the Butterflies: The Travels and Adventures of a Victorian Lady" were published posthumously and are still well read today. She raised many high quality butterflies from eggs and larvae. A collection of over 22,000 of her specimens are held by the Norwich Castle Museum. The butterfly genus Fountainea is named in her honour.

Aimée Fournier de Horrack was a French entomologist and Lepidoptera collector. Her collection is now cared for by the National Museum of Natural History in Paris, France. The rare butterfly species Charaxes fournierae is named in her honour.

Jacob Hübner was a German entomologist. His most famous work was "Collection of choice birds and butterflies" which he published in 1793. Other notable Lepidoptera related works include "Contributions to the history of butterflies", "Collection of European butterflies", "Directory of known butterflies" and "Systematic-alphabetic directory of all genus names hitherto issued with the depictions of European butterflies".

James John Joicey was the son of British industrial millionaire Major William James Joicey. His life was a privileged one, enabling him to amass one of the largest private collections of Lepidoptera in existence during his lifetime, consisting of over 1.5 million specimens. Joicey was in a position to finance expeditions to many of the exotic and little known destinations of his time. He regularly donated specimens to the British Natural History Museum's Lepidoptera collection in London, a practice that continued well after his death. His obituary in The Entomologist read "undoubtedly the most lavish patron of Entomology, in so far as butterflies and moths are concerned, that this country has ever boasted".

Frederic Moore was a British entomologist and illustrator employed by the East India Company Museum in London, England. He compiled the major work "Lepidoptera indica" consisting of ten volumes on the butterflies and moths of South Asia, with many plates illustrated by his son. His work was completed after his death by Charles Swinhoe, with help from others. Further works were "The Lepidoptera of Ceylon" and "A Catalogue of the Birds in the Museum of the East-India Company".

In the original article there are some historic photos of Margaret Fountaine and James Joicey which help break up the text.
Thanks in advance for any input,

Cheers,
Phil.
David M

Re: Lepidopterology: Definition and History

Post by David M »

There are still plenty of collectors about, sadly. Take a look here: https://collector-secret.proboards.com/ ... ng-reports
PhilM

Post by PhilM »

Hi David,

Thanks for taking the time to read my article and for highlighting a statement that I made within it that I can now see is not accurate. On reflection, I think the sentence "'The days of butterfly collecting as a hobby are thankfully largely over" is too optimistic on my part and needs replacing. Something like "The days of butterfly collecting as a hobby are thankfully in decline as people and cultures across the globe gradually become educated to the necessity of flora and fauna conservation".

It is a difficult issue for conservation groups and governments to tackle isn't it? People take a long time to adjust their lifelong interests, customs and beliefs. I guess that is why more and more laws to protect species and habitats seem necessary. Perhaps a worse issue is the individuals and entities that knowingly break these laws in order to satisfy their own egos or greed and have no qualms over killing an animal for pleasure or profit. A thorny problem. We are getting there though, little by little, but it might take a generation or two. Let's hope it is not too late.

Once again, thanks for pointing this out to me, I'm am grateful.

Cheers,
Phil.
David M

Post by David M »

I agree with your rephrasing, Phil. The issue does appear to be in decline and given that most collectors are 'older generation' then one must hope that in 30-50 years time your original statement will ring true.
jonhd

Post by jonhd »

God, that (the Collectors forum) is so sad. To think that there are still people who think it's cool to take butterfly-collecting trips around the world. Dinosaurs.

BR, Jon
PhilM

Post by PhilM »

It is sad Jon. The issue of the exploitation of animals for human pleasure or profit isn't going to go away anytime soon. At least individual collectors can perhaps be educated over time to take photographs instead of killing live specimens. It is difficult though as some cultures have seen collecting as the norm for millennia and it is not easy to ask people to change their way of life. What is more heart breaking is when commerce exploits animal welfare for profit because they tend to do it on an industrial scale. It's everywhere.

Take lepidoptera for example. Bombyx mori (Domestic Silk Moths) are bred in their thousands upon thousands every day. Each female lays around 500 eggs. The larvae (commonly known as Silk Worms) pupate. The cocoons are then boiled to clean the silk and kill off the larvae inside. Silk is then harvested from the cocoon. Only a tiny amount of silk is usable from each cocoon. Massive amounts of these animals are farmed and killed by being boiled to death every single day in order to satisfy the human fashion industry.

It won't stop though while humans demand silk dresses, headscarves etc. The farms are from an entirely different culture to ours and silk production in this way has been going on for thousands of years. They see it as the norm. What can we do as individuals? Not much. Stop buying animal products, support conservation groups, encourage education and lobby governments is about all.

Cheers,
Phil.

Return to “General”