Large Blue aberration

Phil Bowler

Large Blue aberration

Post by Phil Bowler »

Being new to this site I have a few backlog topics that I would like to post, including these photos of a very dark and dusky female Large Blue seen at Daneway Bank, Gloucestershire on 30.6.21. You will see from the more distant shot that when seen from afar it so easily could have been mistaken for a Ringlet.
Attachments
DSCN8708 (resize).JPG
DSCN8716e.JPG
bugboy

Re: Large Blue aberration

Post by bugboy »

I think Daneway has a habit of throwing up these darker individuals, here's one I found there back in 2016 and I've seen others there that seem the darker shade of normal.
https://ukbutterflies.co.uk/album_photo.php?id=22250
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David Simcox

Post by David Simcox »

This is something that we have noticed on Daneway over the last ten years and have often wondered (unsuccessfully to date!), how to scientifically measure this to compare with other sites.
I have attached a photo I took on Daneway this year on 22nd June which shows similar colouration, although not in its prime condition.
Attachments
Daneway 22nd June 2021.jpg
Phil Bowler

Post by Phil Bowler »

bugboy wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:34 am I think Daneway has a habit of throwing up these darker individuals, here's one I found there back in 2016 and I've seen others there that seem the darker shade of normal.
https://ukbutterflies.co.uk/album_photo.php?id=22250
[/interesting, thanks very much for your feedback.]
Phil Bowler

Post by Phil Bowler »

Thank you David for your observations. How intriguing that it seems to favour the Daneway site.

Return to “Large Blue”