Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Pauline

Post by David M »

The Small Heath and Painted Lady are both beautifully marked individuals, Pauline. :mrgreen:

The colours in your image from Chapel Common are glorious too. I wouldn't be at all surprised if SSBs were present. Looks like perfect habitat for them.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Dave. I am working hard to find BH as you will see. I am so busy checking my Red Admirals (following Katrina's post) that I never noticed my Painted Lady might be similarly affected. I think it might be classed as ab. ocellata but is nowhere near as prominent as the one you posted in 2016! Well spotted :D

Thank you David. It is 4 mins away by car and I shall definitely be visiting it again - even if it is just for the solitude.

Another struggle today to find Brown Hairstreaks - only one and she was a little worn but depositing her eggs across the site:
P1180748ad.jpg
P1180751ad.jpg
P1180746ad.jpg
A Small Skipper and very blue female CB also caught my eye:
P1180722ad.jpg
P1180736ad.jpg
P1180738ad.jpg
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

I like your ab ocellata - I will be on the look out for these now. :D
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Katrina. The one Dave took a photo of in 2016 is much more striking and in the Albums on this site.

A friend of mine allowed me to run my moth trap from her garden last night (thank you Alex) so I was interested in what I would find this morning. My favourite moth of the morning was the first one, which just shone in the early morning light. I have tried to identify it and as many of the others as I am able ............... but you all know I'm not great with moth ID's. Still, if it gives you a good laugh ............. Could this possibly be a Golden Twin-spot?
P1180803ad.jpg
P1180781ad.jpg
P1180770ad.jpg
P1180842ad.jpg
Coxcomb Prominent:
P1180763ad.jpg
Maiden's Blush:
P1180831ad.jpg
Black Arches:
P1180817ad.jpg
Lime-speck pug? Pity it was on the trap when I took the shot:
P1180786ad.jpg
Green Carpet - another one that I couldn't remove from the carton without it flying:
P1180767ad.jpg
Knot Grass? Lychnis? Alex has lots of that plant in her garden:
P1180802ad.jpg
Ruby Tiger just before it flew away:
P1180765ad.jpg
Really don't know the rest:
P1180811ad.jpg
P1180820ad.jpg
meiga

Post by meiga »

Hi Pauline

My thoughts on the moth i.d.'s

First is a Gold Spot. Golden Twin-spot is a rare immigrant.
Knot-grass, Lychnis..a possible Flounced Rustic

Penultimate might be a Dun-bar, I can't tell from the side view.
The last is an Oak Lutestring.
Cheers

Maurice
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Pauline,
meiga wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:40 am ..a possible Flounced Rustic
meiga wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:40 am ...Penultimate might be a Dun-bar,
I would agree with these.

A nice selection of moths there.

Cheers,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Good work finding the Brostreak Pauline :D - it was hard work in the breeze yesterday :? It's looking slightly morehopeful that there'll be some Brostreaks there next season, fingers crossed!

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you so much for those ID's Maurice - that Gold Spot was gorgeous. I didn't realise the Golden Twin-spot was rare. The photo just seemed to fit and I still can't quite see how to tell the difference.

Thanks for the confirmations Neil - much appreciated.

I'm afraid none of these sightings are from Noar Hill Wurzel. I have visited NH 12 times during the BH season and have only seen one BH there whose eggs have been destroyed. I am not at all hopeful for next season. :(
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Just playing catch-up as time is rapidly running out. All 5 Commas I reared from garden eggs were released as butterflies but I am pleased that I caught the first one emerging as numbers 3, 4 and 5 all emerged overnight and departed without so much as a thank you. Only these shots to remember them by :lol:
P1180331ad.jpg
P1180021ad.jpg
P1180424ad.jpg
My Red Admiral larva are doing well - the last photo taken:
P1180719ad.jpg
My Fox moth larva are also well (thanks Martin).

An update on the other immatures will have to wait (until next season probably).

For my own record I would just like to note that a couple of days ago I had my first Small Tortoiseshell of the season in my garden but for the first time ever I had all 5 hibernators in the garden at once:
P1180675ad.jpg
I have been chasing round trying to get a shot of a Vapourer moth (I think that is the one that pretends to be a BH!) without any success then found a lovely fresh male waiting for me in the duck shed:
P1180662ad.jpg
and the flame shouldered moth (I think) that I forgot to include earlier.
P1180793ad.jpg
Not too many more outings this season I suspect.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Glad that you managed to find at least one female Brown Hairstreak at Noar Hill this year, Pauline :) :( At least SB came up trumps for you and others :) Nice shots of butterfly early stages, and some nice moth images too :)
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Nice that you have got your Garden Small Tortoiseshell, Pauline. Had a good season over my way, with plenty of second generation cats and adults seen. Perhaps they benefit from cool, wet summers?

Yes, I suspect the season will soon be drawing to a close, with not much chance of any extra generations or exotic migrants this year.

At least you got your Brown Hairstreaks. They will elude me again this year, the dodgy weather has put paid to my chances!
David M

Post by David M »

Good work with the Commas, Pauline. That final one's underside really does resemble an old bit of wood.

Well done on the garden 'Royal Flush' too. My neighbour has regularly had 4 of them but never the full set at the same time this summer.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking Commas Pauline and you actually managed to get a shot of a Vapourer - I've seen loads of those while looking for Brostreaks :x :lol:
"I'm afraid none of these sightings are from Noar Hill Wurzel." - were you looking at Shipton or a different site Pauline? Philzoid and I were at Shipton on Thursday and managed to find a few females all of which were away from the back Hedge and all were in sheltered spots out of the wind :)

Wurzel
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Cheers Mike - I was outraged that I only found One BH at Noar Hill this season and her eggs were then destroyed!! :twisted: Do you really wish you were here???!! :roll:

You've been posting some great shots Mark so it is a shame you didn't manage BH. Where is your closest colony?

Thanks David - it is just a pity they weren't all on the same buddleia at the same time. (So typical of me, always wanting more! :wink: )

Cheers Wurzel -I wasn't at Shipton (doesn't leave you with very many more options now, does it? :wink: )
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

"Cheers Wurzel -I wasn't at Shipton (doesn't leave you with very many more options now, does it? :wink: )" I can think of several sites still Pauline :wink:

Wurzel
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Great Comma photos, I have never noticed the green before.
millerd

Post by millerd »

I do like your home-hatched Commas, Pauline. :) Every one is different! You never know - you may meet them again next spring... :)

Cheers,

Dave
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

You're clearly better informed than me Wurzel :) . Send me a list and I'll tell you if it's in there :wink:

Thank you Katrina. One of my Red Admirals emerged today whilst I was out. I didn't get a photo before it left but it was one of those with the white dot on the red stripe - can't remember what it's called :roll:

Thank you Dave - I do hope so. I have seen a fresh one in the garden so perhaps he was one of 'mine'. There still seems to be a lot going on out there. Had a great time today with our very own Neil F. It started off dreary and drizzly but the sun eventually came out and we saw a reasonable selection of butterflies. His shots will be much better than mine so I'll just stick to a few SSS. Thanks for your company Neil - may see you tomorrow but if not enjoy the rest of your stay:
P1180873ad.jpg
P1180867ad.jpg
P1180862ad.jpg
Also watched a couple of females egg-laying but always in the wrong place for a decent shot :roll: :
P1180850ad.jpg
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Extra dot on the Red Admirals is ab bialbata . :D
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Pauline wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:50 pm His shots will be much better than mine so I'll just stick to a few SSS.
Not sure about that Pauline, you got some decent shots there especially considering how skittish they were.

Many thanks again for a great day and for showing me around.

It will be next week before I get chance to go through my photos and write any reports, the little netbook type laptop I have with me is just not up to it.

All the best,

Neil.

Return to “Personal Diaries”