Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Goldie M

Post by David M »

Goldie M wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:01 pm...I've sold my Bungalow so it's all systems go from now on :D It's been lovely here for the last couple of days except late last night we'd a thunder storm but at least that sticky heat as gone.
That's great news, Goldie. You deserve a break after the bad luck you've had over the last 18 months or so. Selling a property can be stressful, so I'm delighted you've managed to do it so quickly.

You'll no doubt miss that garden, but once you're in Kent you'll be able to create another one to attract the butterflies, and you'll surely be receiving species that you wouldn't see in NW England! :)
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Many thanks Dave, Wurzel and David, it's been a bit of a world wind at present looking at properties, not much time for Butterflies I'm afraid except the ones in my Daughters garden, even then i'm struggling to catch them :D

I did go to Reculver whilst looking at one property and I was amazed, like Pauline was, to see all the vegetation had been cut, my Daughter says if the weather returns to sunshine again :roll: we'll have a look once more at Temple Ewell, I'm just wondering if the the same thing as happened there and would it be a waste of time going, if anyone as been recently I'd be grateful to know as time at present is precious. Goldie :D
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello Goldie ,
I was at Reculver about a fortnite ago ,and although the herbage had been trimmed around the castle walls and complex ,the lower path ,that runs parallel with the sea wall path was excellent and i saw a minimum of 7 Clouded Yellows ,gliding up and down .
As for Lydden /Temple Ewell i,m going to have a look tomorrow afternoon (weather permitting !) ,i,d be very surprised if any clearing had taken place there .
I,ll let you know.
Regards Allan.W.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Allan , I'll look forward to hearing from you, I wish I'd been at Reculver a fortnight ago :D Goldie :D
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I've got a bit of time this morning so thought I'd put a few shots I took from my Daughters garden, also saw a Small Tortoiseshell at Reculver and a Red Admiral on the opposite side to the Roman Wall, much to my surprise :D

I managed to see the Holly Blue again in the Garden, one looks different from the others could be it's been out longer.Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_4594.jpeg
F76563FA-199C-449B-90C0-A695733E4B96.jpeg
788E01EC-E2EC-4478-B463-C5529D08A0CC_1_201_a.jpeg
3742CD4F-C7F1-447F-AAC3-F519241F2083.jpeg
5444D7E6-88FC-4301-95A7-EC9556CAE8D6_1_201_a.jpeg
A244FF6B-67E1-4245-BE9A-9B528E709B3C.jpeg
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello Goldie ,
Visited L/TE for a couple of hours ,late afternoon ,the first hour pretty breezy ,so i moved on to the lower slopes .in that field i told you about ,over from the Small Blue area ,the cows have been busy ,but don,t be put off !When the sun finally came through the butterflies started moving ,all the usual suspects about including some nice Chalkhills and Silver Spots ,no Adonis yet (apart from one distant possible !) also saw i male Clouded Yellow,
A Peregrine went over ..............chased by a Kestral ! and also found a couple of Wasp Spiders . Found one interesting male Chalkhill ,that i,ll post later . Regards Allan.W.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great set of shots Goldie :D Really like the Holly Blue with the sun streaming through the wings :D 8) I hope things are going well with the house search and that the weather improves so you can get out butterflying again :D

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

You seem to have a spring in your step, Goldie. :)

It's exciting to be moving somewhere new where you will see lots of butterflies you didn't see before. I hope it all goes smoothly and that your 2022 season will full of pleasant surprises.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Many thanks Allan, we'll probably go later in the week, it's the Adonis I can't wait to see :D hope fully they'll be out then :D

Hi! Wurzel, I thought you might like that one, :D Things are going well with the search and I've found one I really like, hope fully my offer will be excepted :D :D

Hi! David, I feel like I'm getting some where with the search, it's great to think, no more six hour journeys if this offer comes off :D :D

The weather's been great today but we've been too busy so hope fully I'll find time to look for Butterflies later in the week although the Holly Blues are still in the Garden here and the Gate Keepers too, loads of whites around constantly flying in and out, can't wait to start on a new Garden :D Goldie :D
dave brown

Post by dave brown »

Hi Goldie. Can't comment on Lydden/ Temple Ewell but we did not see any Adonis Blues at Wye NNR this weekend. Still plenty of Chalkhill Blues about. Wall Browns in decent numbers. Surprising few Common Blues seen. Silver Washed Fritillaries still in Orlestone Forest (Hamstreet), although many past their best, the Birchett Wood complex is probably best.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks for the info Dave, with the weather here at present a bit dodgy I'll probably ( if possible) go to TE at the end of the week, I'm still trying to sort things out here at present. :D

I've popped in and out of the Garden here, loads of Holly Blues and Whites still and the odd Admiral, also a good few Dragon Flies landing on and off the Wisteria, I've tried to get shots of them but they've been too quick and not settled for very long, I did manage one quick shot once :D ( can't you tell) :D Couldn't resist another Holly Blue shot :D

I think my Butterfly count for this year will be poor but you can't have every thing :D Goldie :D
Attachments
F3D9749F-C274-48BE-8EE6-05C853C986E3.jpeg
B19555C3-AF9E-4C7B-B133-676768083125_1_201_a.jpeg
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello Goldie ,
You may just get lucky RE;Adonis at TE/L if you leave it till the weekend ,you should definately see Silver Spots ,Chalkhills , Brown Args ; and you may get lucky with Clouded Yellow ,as i said in the last post ,don,t be put off visiting the field where the cows are ............... its Excellent !
it may be worth checking the area where the Small Blues are too .................you never know !
Good luck with your move , hope all goes well .
Your dragonfly is a Migrant Hawker . Regards Allan.W.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Hope things are still on the up-and-up Goldie :D Cracking shot of the Hawker, they can be right pains as they never seem to stop! :shock: :roll:

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Many thanks for your post Allan, I did go to TE today but it was very disappointing the weather was dull heavy cloud and the Butterflies were on their last journey I think, like you said, there was some Chalk Hill Blues about and I got some shots of the females, having said that I was hoping some of the shots could be Adonis ( wishful thinking on my part ) :D

Hi! Wurzel, I'm going to live in Wingham, :D Had to be a Wing in there some where :lol: hope fully I'll get to know the area, if anybody knows of any good spots for Butterflies I'd be grateful :D Hope fully ,every thing will go smoothly and next year I can get going with the Butterflies again.

Today was a bit hopeless, the Butterflies were hiding most of the time but we still had a good day, ( cream tea ) on the cliffs :D
I'll have to wait until next year now, I did see what I thought was a Small Tortoiseshell Butterfly at TE but it was too big to be a Tortoiseshell, any way I missed getting a shot so I'll never know!!!!!
Some of the female Butterflies today looked fresh other's looked really worn, I saw a Marbled White it was really struggling on the path so I picked it up and placed it on a flower maybe it'll get another day or two.
I'm off again on Sunday hope fully the weather will be kind :D Goldie :D
Attachments
4D16BF8B-395A-4D0A-98E1-9C473791BAB7.jpeg
80C84D2D-39E4-4749-8169-A2B217C85045.jpeg
0AFEDDE5-64A7-421D-AB1E-B75F1AD976D7.jpeg
05D6F6B1-97E2-4AAB-B66B-A913E7E644A5.jpeg
C904B44B-F4A7-4D87-ABDB-D291026BB73D.jpeg
E0D758B8-CD1A-4FF7-BAC0-EC81FC95810D.jpeg
5C1EBA9E-E26B-46F7-9FB4-03DFC11958D7.jpeg
5CFE5CFB-608A-4039-B422-E258501E08C5.jpeg
ACBEF237-ABE3-4CCF-87DD-DDF548EEE18A.jpeg
8F51CF84-CE45-4421-B166-70BC0B6641E6.jpeg
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello Goldie ,
I was also at TE/L late afternoon today ,and as you,ve said the weather wasn,t ideal ,but that said i did see six male Adonis ,Silver Spots and Wall ,also bumped into an old butterfly pal while i was there (who,d seen a couple of Cloudies ) , and spent ages catching up ,so less time taking pictures !
Wingham is a lovely village ,and you,ll be well placed for for all the excellent butterfly sites that East Kent has to offer ,and be within striking distance for others a bit farther affield , you must "do" Dungeness for the Small Coppers ,on a bright warm day you,ll love it !
I saw a fresh Small Tort at TE . you did very well to find a Marbled White ,saw my last ages ago !
Regards Allan.W.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Allan, I thought I saw Adonis but they never landed near me so no shots, I was hoping that maybe one or two of my female shots could be one but they say you can't tell the difference between the CHB female and the Adonis very well, I'll have to wait for another year :D

Next year if you could point out some sites that are near me in Wingham that would be great, I'm looking forward to moving but it will be a month or two yet. :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Wingham definitely sounds like a butterfly friendly place to live Goldie :D Great set of Chalkhills, I do like the way the females are so understated 8)

Wurzel
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello Goldie ,
All Chalkhills for me Goldie ,didn,t find any female Adonis out yet ,they do generally emerge slightly later than the males and would be in mint condition ,all your females are showing varying degrees of wear .............nice pictures .
I,ll happily point out some sites for you next season ,(although you do know quite a few already !) I maybe able to help with some specific species
(including a WLH site at Lydden ..............though i,ve not visited it myself yet ) Regards Allan.W.
David M

Post by David M »

Goldie M wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:56 pm...I'm going to live in Wingham, :D Had to be a Wing in there some where..
:lol: Love it, Goldie. Yes, totally appropriate and I wish you all the joy and happiness you'll undoubtedly get down there.

I like that you provided assistance to that struggling Marbled White. What was this species doing even being around in the second half of August though?
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Really pleased for you M. and I'll be in touch (properly) soon but this weekend I'm fixing a new roof on my 12' duck shed!!! I agree with others - that's a great name (must be meant for you :D ).

Return to “Personal Diaries”