ernie f

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: ernie f

Post by David M »

Those are interesting statistics, ernie. I'm sure SSBs suffered from that awful spell of weather in mid to late May when the larvae (and some pupae) would have been at a critical stage.

I think most of us are aware that the last couple of years has been pretty poor for general butterfly numbers (something that seems to be reflected on the continent). We're overdue a good year and hopefully this will be in 2022!
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Wurzel, David

Yes the SS Blue data does not look too good for Broxhead. It did not help that the "management" of the site included scraping clear a number of path edges which once had thriving heather which was a nectaring magnate for them.
Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

11th Aug 2021, Beacon Hill (Hampshire one), 10.15 - 11.45 am, 16-18 degrees, part sun/cloud

I had never visited this location for Silver-spotted Skippers before so today I rectified this oversight.

I saw a fair clutch of species here...

Meadow Brown, Gatekeeper, Ringlet, Small, Large and GV White, Red Ad, Peacock, Brimstone, Common and Chalkhill Blue, S Heath, SW Frit, S Tort,
P Lady, Clouded Yellow and 6 SS Skips. Unlike at the other locations for the SS Skips I know near me - this location is hard work. The south-facing slope where they hang-out is very VERY steep and has not been grazed for some time I would imagine from the grass length in places - but at least the flowers are getting the benefit.

When I first fought my way through it all to the bottom of the hill (the car-park is at the top) I saw none. Oh no I thought, all that effort for little return, but as I slowly climbed up I began to see them. They were not where I expected them to be - on and near the new scrape, but instead were above it on the steep incline. I am not getting any younger and will be the first to admit I am not as fit as I used to be so perching myself half way up trying to juggle a camera to photograph them was a bit of a trial I must say. But I did see six en-route and since this is a quite expansive area, I would estimate there must have been more than 30 on the slope altogether.

So I achieved my aim of seeing them at this site for the first time - but I don't think I will ever do it again.
P1170419.JPG
Ernie F
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Sometimes it enough just to know that they're there Ernie :wink: I don't blame you for not wanting to attempt the steep hills - when I do I find a lot of my shots are 'bin jobs' as I'm wobbling from catching my breath :?

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Ernie,

Interesting to see the Silver-spotted Skippers at Beacon Hill. I will be down your way in a couple of weeks, visiting/helping our daughter with her move down to Emsworth, and was wondering if there might be some SSKs still around.

Cheers,

Neil.
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Wurzel - There are a lot of hills around here to "wobble" on but Beacon Hill is one of the steepest. Probably second only to Butser. Gone are the days I could run up such hills without a second thought!

Neil - Beacon Hill is a lovely location but to see SS Skips a lot more easily I suggest a trip to Oxenbourne Down (or even Old Winchester Hill).
Ernie F
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks for the suggestions Ernie. I have had a look on Google Maps and both of those look to be about 20 minutes or so from where my daughters house will be.

Cheers,

Neil.
David M

Post by David M »

Sounds like you participated in a little 'extreme butterflying' there, ernie.

I'm glad you managed to record a few Silver Spotted Skippers after that ordeal, and good to know Clouded Yellows are making their presence felt this summer too.
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

David - I like that term "extreme butterflying". Started me thinking what other forms it could take.
Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

A couple of days ago I saw this moth on my garage door. I can't quite pin down the species. Looking in my books and on the net I got it down to either the Sloe Pug or the Double-striped Pug. I am tending toward the latter because they have a second flight period in August and quite like ivy I believe and the day before we had trimmed a huge creeping ivy not a stones throw from where this moth was sitting. Maybe we disturbed it?

But I don't know - I could be completely wrong with both suggestions. Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks.
P1170430.JPG
Ernie F
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

I think that you have a Willow Beauty there Ernie, a much larger moth than any species of Pug. A useful ID feature for these is the converging cross lines in the middle of the forewings.

The second generation of these is now on the wing and I have been getting a few recently in my garden moth trap.

Cheers,

Neil.
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Neil

Thanks for that. I looked it up and see you are right. You can tell I am a rookie with moths can't you? :lol:

I will definitely have to get myself a moth trap but they can be so expensive.
Ernie F
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Oh! we were all rookies once Ernie and I still get a few wrong.

Quite a few people use home made traps. Not sure if you use Facebook but this group might be useful

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1444527009172197

Or there is this info from BC.

https://butterfly-conservation.org/in-y ... -moth-trap

Cheers,

Neil.
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Neil

Thanks for the moth trap info - I shall take a look.
Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

24th Aug 2021 - Old Winchester Hill, 11.00-12.30, mostly sunny, 21 degrees

I try to make at least one visit to Ol' Winch at around this time of year. There are always three targets on my list, Silver-spotted Skips, Adonis Blues and Clouded Yellows. Last year was in some ways a disappointment as I didn't see any Clouded Yellows here and only one Adonis, although there was a good clutch of SSS's. Today I got a tick in the box for all three. 8 SSS's, 3 Adonis and 1 Clouded Yellow.

The Clouded Yellow only stopped within my camera range once and even then I had to set it on full zoom, so its not the best picture I have ever taken of one.
P1170513.JPG
But the SS Skips were very obliging
P1170496.JPG
As were the Adonis Blues
P1170471.JPG
P1170479.JPG
Also seen...

Brimstone, Peacock, Small Tort, Common Blue, Small Heath, Meadow Brown, Gatekeeper, Painted lady, and hundreds of mostly faded Chalkhill Blues.

Just as I have three target species of butterfly, I also have three target species of plant when I come here in August and I could put a tick in the box for all those three as well. Autumn Gentian, Carline Thistle and Autumn Ladies Tresses were all present and correct.
Ernie F
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

You did well with the Cloudy Ernie :mrgreen: they've been few and far between this season despite reasonable numbers of Painted Ladies :?

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

ernie f wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:48 pm...Today I got a tick in the box for all three. 8 SSS's, 3 Adonis and 1 Clouded Yellow.
Excellent stuff, ernie. Always nice to see a Clouded Yellow, and if the winds pull round more from the south east we may get a greater influx before too long.
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Wurzel, David.

Thanks. I was lucky. The numbers of everything were down.
Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

5th Sep 2021, Noar Hill, 11.00-12.30, 18-22 degrees, mist turning to full sun

Question...

How close can you get your camera lens in the face of a Small Tort on a warm, sunny day?
P1170544.JPG
Answer...

2 cm.
P1170551.JPG
This year I had not made a specific trip to see Brown Hairstreaks and even today I was not particularly looking out for them - in fact I thought I would be too late in the year anyway by now. But I was wrong. A reasonably fresh female flew past me from behind and perched in front of me. It was a speedy, tantalizing glimpse. She stayed there just long enough for a single picture at distance and then was off again. I never saw her again. My first and only Brostreak of the year and one of the latest I have ever seen flying about. (Only one later than this in the 2nd week of Sep some years ago).
P1170542.JPG
I had been reading Pauline's diary where she talks about the "maintenance" that has been done at Noar Hill recently. I understand why they are doing it. There is a need to try and create habitat for new plants and for our failing junipers, etc but what they have done is close to vandalism.

On the plus side - creating "scrapes" like this may increase the number of Small Blues but at the expense of our rare Brown Hairstreak....?!?

By coincidence I met a chap who does the official recording of butterflies at Noar Hill and has been doing so for some years. He asked me if i'd seen a Brostreak and was surprised when I replied "yes". He said he had only seen four here all season. To put this in context, only a couple of years ago I could guarantee to see six on one master tree all at once at peak time.

I hope I am not witness to the final throes of this colony at Noar Hill.
Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

7th Sep 2021, Folly Hill - 10-11.30am, 18-25 degrees, Full Sun

Today's star performance was given by the Grayling. I love these insects, they are fun to be with and this bunch were having a party!

I saw 11 on my walk, but in the lek I found 5. Males were having a right argy-bargy. Flitting this way and that, nectaring from heather, resting on the ground and on gorse, having airborne fights and on-ground stand-offs. At one point I had three circling me all at once and one repeatedly landed on me although not long enough for me to get any pictures of him doing it. At the highest point of the lek there is a mound perhaps no more than four foot high with a pine tree on top. I believe that whoever commands this high ground can claim to be king-of-the-hill (and consequently of the entire lek too) for it was the individual who had this honoured position who had the confidence to keep coming over to perch on me - as though using me as a look-out tower.
P1170599.JPG
P1170597.JPG
P1170573.JPG
P1170578.JPG
Other players who put in an appearance were Small Copper, Speckled Wood, Common Blue (old and tatty) and Holly Blue (fresh males), Red Ad and S White - but compared to the antics of the Grayling - these others were merely walk-on parts in the Grayling's play.
Ernie F

Return to “Personal Diaries”