Development of White Admiral pupa in the wild

Discussion forum for books and any other media concerning butterflies.
downland boy

Development of White Admiral pupa in the wild

Post by downland boy »

This year, I was keen to observe the development of a White Admiral pupa in the wild. On 27th. May, I found a 5th instar larva busily feeding on honeysuckle about 6 feet from the ground. For the next 4 weeks I was able to observe the changes in the pupa through to the emergence of the adult butterfly, on an almost daily basis. All the photographs were taken in subdued light; I have purposely not used any flash so as to show the pupa at one with its natural surroundings. Although the pupa has the look of a folded honeysuckle leaf, I think it is also a master of illusion. The reflective mirrors and dark markings and projections very successfully break up the outline and form of the pupa. When observed within a natural woodland background, with all its shadows and reflections, the pupa can be difficult to see. Even though I knew where it was each time I observed it, unless I looked at it directly, it usually took me a few seconds to focus on it.

I hope that you find the following sequence of photographs of interest.

Image 1...............7th June, final instar larva preparing to pupate.
Image 2...............8th June, pupa on day 1, silver-gilt mirrors are yet to develop.
Image 3...............9th June, pupa day 2, silver-gilt mirrors are developing.
Image 4...............14th June, pupa day 7.
Image 5 & 6..........20th June, pupa day 13.
Image 7...............22nd June, pupa day 15, an almost imperceptible change as the green colour starts to become dull and the head area darkens.
Image 8...............23rd June, pupa day 16.
Image 9...............24th June, pupa day 17.
Image 10.............25th June, pupa day 18.
Image 11 to 18......26th June, pupa day 19 and emergence.
Attachments
(1).JPG
(2) (day 1).JPG
(3) (day 2).JPG
(4) (day 7).JPG
(5) (day 13).JPG
(6) (day 13).JPG
(7) (day 15).JPG
(8) (day 16).JPG
(9) (day 17).JPG
(10) (day 18).JPG
(11) (day 19).JPG
(12).JPG
(13).JPG
(14).JPG
(15.JPG
(16).JPG
(17).JPG
(18).JPG
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Development of White Admiral pupa in the wild

Post by Padfield »

Brilliant sequence and really good observation. I've never managed to find a wild white admiral pupa.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

I second Guy's comments - superb work! I have also never managed to find a wild White Admiral pupa, despite following the development of plenty of wild larvae through to the final instar...
downland boy

Post by downland boy »

Hi Guy and Pete,

Thanks for your appreciative comments.

Regarding finding pupae in the wild; if it helps and at the risk of sounding like an expert (I prefer the term enthusiast), since 2017 I have followed four 5th instar larvae through to pupation. Three of those larvae were found at 6 or 7 feet from the ground in honeysuckle that grew no higher than 12 feet high. All three larvae pupated under a honeysuckle leaf, within a few inches of where they were last feeding. The fourth larva was feeding at a similar height from the ground but it was on a long spindly stem hanging down from a high growing honeysuckle. This larva climbed about 15 feet up the stem and pupated beneath a stem node. Find a mature larva to keep an eye on and I am sure you will eventually find a pupa.

All the best, Nigel
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Fascinating sequence. I've only ever managed to find two post hibernation larvae but I wasn't able to follow either one. I had a good look for some pupae a month or so ago but all I managed were some dead leaves that looked remarkable like WA pupae, even more so in the flesh, which do a good job at illustrating just how good the camouflage is. Here's one I posted in my PD: download/file.php?id=186234&mode=view
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Top, top work, Nigel! I know just how difficult it is to monitor this species in the wild to adulthood (I've been trying to do that for over a decade now) and have never seen a wild camilla eclose!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
downland boy

Post by downland boy »

Thanks for you comments Bugboy,

When you peer into a clump of honeysuckle, you realise that there are loads of stem ends and bud scales etc. that exactly match the projections on the camilla pupa.

Regards, Nigel
downland boy

Post by downland boy »

Thanks for your very kind words Pete.

I am not alone in recognising and appreciating all the great work you have done in the study of butterfly life cycles over the years.
As you know, although you can make a fairly accurate estimation of when emergence is due, there is still a great deal of luck involved in order to ensure that you are actually there to witness the event.

All the best, Nigel.
David M

Post by David M »

First class sequence, DB, and many thanks for posting it.

I'm so glad you were able to witness the actual emergence of the imago. There won't be many who've seen that in the field.
downland boy

Post by downland boy »

Thanks David,

I have endless patience when it comes to looking at close detail in nature.

All the best, Nigel.

Return to “Books, Articles, Videos, TV”