July 2021

Discussion forum for sightings.
Charles Nicol

Re: July 2021

Post by Charles Nicol »

back to Sharpenhoe this afternoon. on the track at the base of Moleskin Hill there were groups of Chalkhill Blues frolicking in the sunshine & eating poo.
this butterfly was with them but does not look like a C B :?

suggestions welcome :D
51328927229_2586ba052b_c.jpg
millerd

Post by millerd »

That looks like a female Chalkhill to me, Charles. They are distinctly brown underneath compared to the males which are sometimes nearly white. If you find a mating pair you get a nice comparison. :)

Cheers,

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

Medard wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:00 am Visits to Priddy and the Sweet Track Shapwick Moor. Little in the way of butterflies at Priddy, 07-16-2021, rather disappointing but the Dragons did not disappoint Black tailed Skimmers were numerous and a fresh Emperor and Empress made up for the disappointment.
Two visits to The Sweet Track, Shapwick Heath 07-16-2021 and 08-16-2021 ,by far the most numerous insects were Mosquitoes, hungry and thirsting for blood, my blood, good numbers of Large Skippers the odd Peacock and a Red Admiral, finally the purpose of my visit made up for my discomfort my first Whits Admiral, in all five or six seen, the heat seemed to have decided the butterflies to take shelter in the trees, others insects seen, newly emerged Common Darters,a Brown Hawker and a mating pair of Strangalia maculata.
No Gain without Pain !!!
Priddy Mineries
19-07-2021 and 20-07-2021 Despite the heat better results from my visits this time, my first Priddy sightings of Dark green Fritillaries at Priddy.

Small Skippers,Meadow Brown and marbled Whites were numerous,
one Painted Lady ,
one Red Admiral
one Small Copper
Two Common Blues Small ,and Green veined Whites
Good effort, Jim. It's rare to state that butterflying in the UK has become tricky due to sustained hot weather but alas, that is the situation we currently find ourselves in.

Some nice dragonflies you've seen although I'll pass on the mosquitos. :(
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

millerd wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:27 pm That looks like a female Chalkhill to me, Charles. They are distinctly brown underneath compared to the males which are sometimes nearly white. If you find a mating pair you get a nice comparison. :)

Cheers,

Dave
thanks for your help millerd ! they had not got round to mating yet :wink:
aeshna5

Post by aeshna5 »

Excellent day at Denbies with LOTs of butterflies.

Chalkhill Blue 700+ (suspect thousands on the whole hillside. Scats would often have c40 butterflies on them)
Common Blue 3
Brown Argus 2
Small Copper 2
Meadow Brown 200+
Ringlet 2
Gatekeeper 55
Marbled White 65
Small Heath 24
Dark Green Fritillary 3
Silver-washed Fritillary 1 female
Peacock 3
Red Admiral 2
Painted Lady 2
Clouded Yellow 2-3
Large White 9
Small White 7
Brimstone 3
Small Skipper 25 (all those checked were Small, but possibly an Essex among those not settled).

Moths included several 6-spot Burnets, Silver-Y, Treble Bar/Lesser Treble Bar, Jersey Tiger, Shaded Broad-bar & Chalk Carpet.

Vocal Buzzards & a male Yellowhammer.

A lifer for me was a Downland Villa, one of the beefly family.
PhilBJohnson

Post by PhilBJohnson »

In Lincolnshire, Small tortoiseshell numbers might be down a little, in Butterfly Conservation's "Big Butterfly Count" (#ButterflyCount).
This was one, timing reason why:
July 22nd 2021, near Lincoln, Lincolnshire. Second Annual brood from eggs, Small Tortoiseshell Larvae
July 22nd 2021, near Lincoln, Lincolnshire. Second Annual brood from eggs, Small Tortoiseshell Larvae
Thanks for including my findings.
Kind Regards,

Philip Johnson
Kind Regards,
walpolec

Silver-studded Blues???

Post by walpolec »

We’re holidaying in West Cornwall and I thought I’d see if I can spot any Silver-studded Blues - a species I’ve never seen before. I think it’s a bit late in the season, but after the cool spring we’ve had, who knows? I’m aware of some specific sites down here for the species and hope to visit a couple of them. Records do seem to suggest they can crop up anywhere where the habitat is suitable and yesterday on a walk near Land's End there were several blue butterflies being blown about in the warm breeze.

Does anyone have any tips on how to distinguish them from Common Blue (which, to my mind, can also have shiny silvery scales on the hind wings)? Attached are a few photos that I managed to grab as we went along. Apologies for the poor quality, but yesterday was a family walk rather than a butterfly expedition (I'm sure many of us have experienced the difference between these) - but I'd be grateful for any thoughts on whether I have stumbled across SsB.

Thanks
Chris
Attachments
0EB000E1-EE3D-4484-9A22-E47858E1DA31.jpeg
87F1E1D3-7D0F-46D4-8C22-FD2C1C4DEE6F.jpeg
992F4711-0CFF-47EC-A2AE-51BE7C143CE7.jpeg
1C5891D0-3B9D-4B2E-9427-6079A4EA30A7.jpeg
4B51681C-218D-49EE-87A8-B0FBB5BA99B7.jpeg
4B51681C-218D-49EE-87A8-B0FBB5BA99B7.jpeg (46.67 KiB) Viewed 935 times
36A4B842-5EF4-457E-9F45-CAEE9E15B950.jpeg
millerd

Post by millerd »

Chris,

They all do look like Silver-studded Blues to me. Some of them do have "silver studs" (no. 3 especially), and No. 5 is a female with the chevron-shaped upperside orange spots that tend to characterise the female of the species. The heathery background fits nicely too.

Dave
walpolec

Post by walpolec »

millerd wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:00 am Chris,

They all do look like Silver-studded Blues to me. Some of them do have "silver studs" (no. 3 especially), and No. 5 is a female with the chevron-shaped upperside orange spots that tend to characterise the female of the species. The heathery background fits nicely too.

Dave
Dave,

Thanks very much for the quick response and the detailed explanation - much appreciated! At the risk of appearing rather dim, may I ask what the “silver studs” actually look like?! 😅

Thanks again,
Chris
millerd

Post by millerd »

Hi Chris - here is a shot of a Silver-studded Blue from earlier this year.
SSB8 160621.JPG
The "silver" studs are not silver at all, usually a bright turquoise, and can be seen in the middle of the black marginal spots on the hindwing. They are quite prominent on this example, but can be pretty well non-existent in some individuals.

I hope this helps. A browse through the photos on the relevant species page here on UKB will give you a good feel for the butterfly too.
https://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/species ... cies=argus

Cheers,

Dave
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Small Blue at Chilcompton batch (N Somerset) today, a surprise here as the foodplant does not occur on the site, although possibly it does in the active quarries a couple of miles away. Is there any suggestion that Small Blue can use foodplants other than Kidney Vetch? It's also a little late in the season for the first brood, and if we ever get the second brood in Somerset it is usually later in the year.

Small and Large White are doing particularly well in the garden at the moment. I am glad I am not growing any brassicas.
zigzag_wanderer

Post by zigzag_wanderer »

Interesting week to work at a garden nursery. Thankfully the weather wasn't quite as brutal today !

Put my Sussex Moth Group's "What's Flying Tonight ?" ID scheme (as described last week) into action again. Came up trumps this time though I believe. I'm fairly certain that's a second generation Early Thorn moth.

I can categorically state that Essex Skippers like mini cyclamen....well this one did at least. Visited every pot I think. It was a very hot day so was it just after the trapped water ?

Most of the houses have been opened up to the elements to a good extent for about a month now. A lot of butterflies, moths and dragonflies are hence visiting, as are robins and wrens who are finding beak-fulls of wriggling larvae. Having got in, it takes the adult insects a lot longer to find their way out than it does the birds, but they seem to work it out in the end.
Attachments
Cinnabars munching
Cinnabars munching
Common Darter
Common Darter
Brimstone
Brimstone
Early Thorn moth
Early Thorn moth
Essex Skipper
Essex Skipper
Spot the Skip
Spot the Skip
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

went to Fermyn Woods today, hoping that the clouds would disperse... unfortunately they didn't :roll:

i did see a Silver Washed Fritillary and Ringlets and that.

here is a nice pic of a Gatekeeper:
51330656811_8a7f2b5a09_c.jpg
Medard

Post by Medard »

Back to the Sweet Track 21-07-2021, this time suitably protected against the mossies, one Comma seen near the old S and D railway track and one at the Hawk and owl reserve, I was disappointed to see only one White Admiral at least this one was in a lazy mood, its gave chance for some photos, taken in heavy shade, the blackberries flowers have passed which may account for the lack of other species, however there were signs of increasing numbers of Peacocks nectering on thistle heads along the track.
JUD_3722   White Admiral for zen.jpg
JUD_3710   White Admiral.jpg
JUD_3677   White Admiral.jpg
JUD_3655_00001   White Admiral.jpg
JUD_3808_00001   Comma.jpg
JUD_3804_00001.jpg
Priddy Mineries 23-07-2021, what a day makes, the heatwave was replaced by a cool breeze at Priddy, the result the winged wonder took to hiding in the long grass, two Dark green Frits were busy nectaring on the clover flowers , these were now showing signs of fading having lost the vibrancy of their rich colours, one Small Copper and a Silver Y Moth ?, Small Skippers still in good numbers Marble White s were not as numerous as my previous visit,
https://jamesgibbs6929.zenfolio.com/
Attachments
JUD_4008_00001   D g Frit.jpg
JUD_4085_00001   D g Frit.jpg
JUD_4095_00001   Silver y.jpg
JUD_3850_00001  Teneral black Darter.jpg
JUD_3878_00001  Small copper.jpg
walpolec

Post by walpolec »

millerd wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:36 pm Hi Chris - here is a shot of a Silver-studded Blue from earlier this year.SSB8 160621.JPG
The "silver" studs are not silver at all, usually a bright turquoise, and can be seen in the middle of the black marginal spots on the hindwing. They are quite prominent on this example, but can be pretty well non-existent in some individuals.

I hope this helps. A browse through the photos on the relevant species page here on UKB will give you a good feel for the butterfly too.
https://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/species ... cies=argus

Cheers,

Dave
Dave - thanks again for the extra info and for posting the photo. Much appreciated!
Chris
David M

Post by David M »

zigzag_wanderer wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:47 pm..I can categorically state that Essex Skippers like mini cyclamen....well this one did at least. Visited every pot I think. It was a very hot day so was it just after the trapped water ?
That's an unexpected visitor, ZZW?

I thought there was no chance of triumphing in your 'Spot the Skip' challenge, but I found it straight away! Middle pot, third row back. :)
Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

A few from my last couple of visits to Portland's quarries for this year. Tout Quarry & King Barrow Quarry, Portland, Dorset
♀ Silver-studded Blue 20th July
♂ Silver-studded Blue 20th July
♂ Silver-studded Blue 20th July
Grayling  20th July
Grayling 20th July
Painted Lady 19th July
Painted Lady 19th July
♂ Chalkhill Blue 20th July
♂ Chalkhill Blue 20th July
♂ Chalkhill Blue 22nd July
Slow worms 22nd July
Slow worms 22nd July
Slow worm 22nd July
Slow worm 22nd July
David M

Post by David M »

Very nice, Steve. I presume you didn't stumble across any Large Tortoiseshells this time?
David M

Post by David M »

Friday 23rd, morning spent at Savernake Forest, near Marlborough, Wilts:

At least 6 different Purple Emperors seen (8 sightings in total) with four different individuals grounded. Hundreds of golden skippers (I didn't have the patience to track down Essex Skippers). Around 10 Purple Hairstreaks, and multi dozens of Marbled Whites, Ringlets & Meadow Browns. Large, Small and Green Veined Whites also seen along with a couple of Hedge Browns, although no White Admirals (not sure if they occur here) and just one Silver Washed Fritillary.
1.PEups3(1).jpg
1.PHups(1).jpg
Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

David M wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:36 am Very nice, Steve. I presume you didn't stumble across any Large Tortoiseshells this time?
Not this time David. No news of any sightings whilst I was down there either. :(

Return to “Sightings”