WHICH HAIRSTREAK GREEN OR PURPLE

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
Devon Dave

WHICH HAIRSTREAK GREEN OR PURPLE

Post by Devon Dave »

Hi all,
I have a favourite Oak tree on Dartmoor for purple Hairstreaks that I visit every year to observe and photograph them. Last week the first ones had emerged and had started their usual dog fighting each other and lying flat on an oak leaf waiting to attack again. However one I noticed was acting like that but it was a bright Turquoise colour. I tried to photograph it but it was very high up and my photos were very poor. However I have attached the photos here to get any feed back on what it might be. Although it is a Purple Hairstreak infested Oak this ones colour makes me think it must be a Green Hairstreak. But I have never seen a Green Hairstreak in Oak before acting like a Purple Hairstreak. Maybe its a Ab colour Purple ? Any thoughts welcome. Thank you
Attachments
DSCN9666 (2).JPG
Butterflyboy

Re: WHICH HAIRSTREAK GREEN OR PURPLE

Post by Butterflyboy »

Looks like a green to me, the colour looks right and I can't see any markings and it looks like it has a bit of brown around the bottom of the top wing, I may be wrong though, it is just my thought.
-Butterfly boy
Devon Dave

Post by Devon Dave »

Many thanks for your thoughts, I think its a Green too but only ever seen them on Gorse before and not Dog fighting Purples, so I was rather baffled.
Butterflyboy

Post by Butterflyboy »

Devon Dave wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:22 am Many thanks for your thoughts, I think its a Green too but only ever seen them on Gorse before and not Dog fighting Purples, so I was rather baffled.
I've only seen green hairstreaks on moorland next to woods very beautiful butterflies :)
-Butterfly boy
David M

Post by David M »

Devon Dave wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:22 am Many thanks for your thoughts, I think its a Green too but only ever seen them on Gorse before and not Dog fighting Purples, so I was rather baffled.
100% Green Hairstreak, Devon Dave.

I don't suppose these two meet very often in the UK, but Green Hairstreaks are flying very late so I guess it's not out of the question this year.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Funnily enough, I've seen a lot of green hairstreaks in oaks this year. It makes them particularly hard to photograph, resting up high in dense canopy. On one of my local heathlands, Martlesham Heath, I was alarmed to find no green hairstreaks at all in the usual places - notably around hawthorn, bramble and gorse. Then I discovered they were all at the top of the oaks, and in good numbers.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Devon Dave

Post by Devon Dave »

Many thanks for that information Dave, yes I thought it was a Green too but was rather confused it being high up in an old Oak.
Devon Dave

Post by Devon Dave »

Many thanks Guy, it seems a funny year for all butterflies in many respects. There are so few Whites of any description and all other species in low numbers in General here in Devon.
Dave.

Return to “Identification”