Chobham Common Help Please - Silver Studs

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
Old Wolf

Chobham Common Help Please - Silver Studs

Post by Old Wolf »

Hello all,
I am heading to Chobham Common with the hopes of bagging a lifer, the Silver Studded Blue. I know it is a bit late in the day but I was hoping someone could help me with some info to help me narrow the search as I know Chobham is quite a large one from the last time I visited and came away empty handed!

Any help will be most appreciated and thanks in advance :D
Old Wolf.
bugboy

Re: Chobham Common Help Please - Silver Studs

Post by bugboy »

Hi, they can actually turn up nearly anywhere, especially once they've been on the wing for a week or so but one of the best spots, and the place I generally head for for them and Grayling is here SU974657. They are also relatively common along the main path that runs through this square SU968660.

Hope that helps and good luck :)
Some addictions are good for the soul!
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Also, since Chobham Common is a late site for most species (i've not been there yet this year) a back up site is Fairmile Common here TQ118617, which is currently crawling with them!
Old Wolf

Post by Old Wolf »

Thanks a million BB :D
Old Wolf.
Old Wolf

Post by Old Wolf »

I just wanted to thank you BB as your information led to a very enjoyable morning at Fairmile Common even though at one point we were hiding out under a tree as the heavens opened. The rest of time was spent in the company of a fair few SSB's, I would estimate 20-30 seen with approximately 5-8 females.

We saw two mating pairs and a freshly emerged male take his first flight :D
DSC_1760.JPG
Old Wolf.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Happy to help, glad it all panned out for you :)
aeshna5

Post by aeshna5 »

I saw just under 20 SS Blue on the northern part of Chobham Common last Thursday when the sun didn't shine but was warm. Few other butterflies.
Old Wolf

Post by Old Wolf »

aeshna5 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:50 am I saw just under 20 SS Blue on the northern part of Chobham Common last Thursday when the sun didn't shine but was warm. Few other butterflies.
Thanks for the info aeshna5.

Much like yourself, my trip didn't have anything else on the wing bar a small heath and two meadow brown. It was overcast for me too. Maybe if it were sunnier more would have been about but because I am unfamiliar with this area couldn't say what it is like for other species.
Old Wolf.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Old Wolf wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:31 am
aeshna5 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:50 am I saw just under 20 SS Blue on the northern part of Chobham Common last Thursday when the sun didn't shine but was warm. Few other butterflies.
Thanks for the info aeshna5.

Much like yourself, my trip didn't have anything else on the wing bar a small heath and two meadow brown. It was overcast for me too. Maybe if it were sunnier more would have been about but because I am unfamiliar with this area couldn't say what it is like for other species.
On the heathland sites during SSB season that's all you're likely to find, the 'June gap' means most of the generalists are absent.

Return to “Sites”