Brown Argus or Northern Brown Argus ssp salmacis? Yorkshire

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
jonno

Brown Argus or Northern Brown Argus ssp salmacis? Yorkshire

Post by jonno »

Your collective help please

I was in in the Yorkshire Dales near Grassington and saw a number of Brown Argus sp in a grassy area at 260m altitude below some big limestone scree slopes. They were very active but I managed to get a few shots of one individual (attached)

There appears to be a lot of white on the leading forewing spot on the underwing but otherwise I am struggling to resolve the ID either way

I know that this site would be at the very southern limit of NBA distribution in N England but am also aware of remaining key strongholds for this species in the Ribblesdale/Ingleborough and Wharfedale/Littondale areas of the National Park - so this sighting would fit that known distribution

Can anyone help me with a conclusive ID on this individual please, together with any pointers for the distinguishing features? Many thanks

Jonno
Attachments
P1399746_2sm.jpg
P1399688_2sm.jpg
Butterflyboy

Re: Brown Argus or Northern Brown Argus ssp salmacis? Yorkshire

Post by Butterflyboy »

do you have a picture of the argus' upper underside wing?
-Butterfly boy
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hi Jonno,

I don't believe that anybody will be able to provide a definitive answer, since the Peak District is in the known 'hybrid zone' for the two species (I usually resort to location to be definitive - especially when it comes to NBA ssp. salmacis), so this critter could be Brown Argus, Northern Brown Argus, or even a hybrid!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
jonno

Post by jonno »

Hi Pete

Thank you. Given your status update, my confusion is well justified on this occasion! I just wanted to check that I hadn't missed any obvious features that might have helped to resolve the identification. Cheers!

Jonno

Return to “Identification”