Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Goldie M

Post by Wurzel »

Sorry to hear you've been having such a bad time of late Goldie - but also good to hear that you'r out and about again. You've done great to get those shots of the Large Skipper - I've still to find a female :mrgreen: Hopefully this will be the start of a great run 8) :D

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Hi Goldie - those are great Large Skippers, especially the female. Like Wurzel, I've only seen males this year so far. :) :mrgreen:

You are amazingly resilient, considering what you've had to put up with, getting back out there as soon as you can. Brilliant. :)

Cheers,

Dave
trevor

Post by trevor »

Chin up Goldie. Things are set to get busy, if we get the weather,
with all the summer species about to appear. Mind you you've already
started with those Large Skippers. :D
I also had a close look at your mystery image, and without doubt it's a Speckled Wood.
Great that you are on top of your garden. It's the other way around here, it's on top of me!.

Stay safe and well,
Trevor.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Many thanks for your posts everyone they encourage me to get out and about :D

Hi! David, Thanks for the ID's , when I was out yesterday at HLB CP I saw more dogs than I did Butterflies :roll: I kept right out of their way :D

Thanks Wurzel, I was pleased with the Female shot and I plan on going to Brockholes CP again shortly, I've heard the White Hair Streaks may be out there
and ALSO Dark Green Fritillaries have been seen there, hope fully! it will be a start again :D

Thanks Dave, it's making me think what a dolt I've been, I should have got out sooner :D Immediately I saw the Skippers I was happy :D

Hi! Trevor, thanks for the ID, I never thought of a Speckie :D We got some rain last night, thank goodness, I've had to water every thing twice with the weather being so hot, hope you've caught up with your garden :D Dull so far today :roll: Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Good luck with the DGFs :D I unexpectedly found a few today, I really didn't think I'd see anything as it had been tipping it down with rain but in a dry spell of about 20 minutes I found 11 - and they were quite approachable too :D

Wurzel
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

You have my sympathy regarding the dog bite, Goldie. Don’t get me started...

But well done with the Large Skippers! I’ve only seen one, on the hot day last Monday. It’s been tipping it down ever since!

Very nice pictures, too!
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Wurzel, I got signed off today, the dog bite is healed, no more clinic thank goodness :D we got our first rain last night since June arrived and the weather next week is good so the forecasts say, which is better than the next few days will be, so I'll have to wait until then before going to Brockholes.
You did well with the DGF's :mrgreen: I hope I'm lucky when I get there' :D

Many thanks essex, not seeing much these days in the Garden but hope fully next week I'll see more if the weather's better when I travel to Brockholes
CP, as for the Dog Bite it's (dogged ) me for sure for seven weeks but at last it's healed now and I'm ready for off :D

I said I'm not seeing much in the garden but that's Butterflies, the Birds seem to be every where I got this shot of a Green Finch through the kitchen window in the rain, couldn't tell if it was eating or sheltering ,it was watching me washing up :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_4136.jpeg
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Glad your bite has finally healed :D
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Katrina, hope fully I'll be clear of trouble for a while now :D Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

Goldie M wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:02 pm...as for the Dog Bite it's (dogged) me for sure for seven weeks but at last it's healed now and I'm ready for off
Thank God for that, Goldie. Been one thing after another for you lately. Hopefully now you can get out and walk around normally. I'm sure there'll be a few butterflies around to lift your spirits.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

GRRRRRRRReat news the CURse of the BAD DOG bite has HEELed Goldie you'll be heading out for WALKIES soon now then :wink:

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks David and Wurzel, :D I did some walking today, I took a walking stick with me :D

It was cloudy this morning until well after lunch, so I decided on Hall-Lee-Brook , I didn't expect to see much, things around here don't seem to be moving , so I was glad to see my first Meadow brown, what a chase it gave me :D I didn't see any more and this one was flying okay but when it landed was falling about, I assumed it was one of the first out until I noticed it seemed to be slightly worn, maybe the birds had had a nibble before it got moving. :roll:

I also counted about six Small Tortoiseshells and just a couple of Skippers, the Small Torts didn't open their wings much but I did manage one shot when one landed on the path in front of me ,things are really slow, any way it felt good to be out and about, I'm off to Brockholes next :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_4169.jpeg
IMG_4166.jpeg
IMG_4162.jpeg
IMG_4158.jpeg
IMG_4149.jpeg
IMG_4142.jpeg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely set of shots Goldie - I especially like the 2nd Small Tort, love the way the light is showing through the wings :D 8) Did you take a stick to help you walk or to beat off savage hounds? :shock: :wink:

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Good to see you getting out again, Goldie. Meadow Browns only recently emerged round my way so I suspect it'll be a few days yet before they are out in numbers.

Right now, Small Tortoiseshells are popping up almost everywhere. Nice to see them back.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel and David, :D Thanks Wurzel, It's always good when the light hits them just right isn't it :D I know you like the looking glass affect. :D
I seem to need a walking stick these days for my hip :roll: it will come in handy though for unwanted dog attacks. :D

Thanks David, the Small Tort's are out in force here, surprisingly though they've not been in my garden for a while, early days I think, the weather also as made a big difference to Butterflies this year but I'd a good day yesterday :D

Yesterday I went to Brockholes CP , I thought I might see the White Letter Hair Streaks but after speaking to a man at the site and searching for ages before he arrived there , I'd to give up, the man said he'd been going there checking for the last few weeks and he'd seen nothing so I gave up and went looking for the Ringlet's and Small Skippers I'd no shots of yet.

The Ringlets were every where, so were the Small Torts, I did see a Red Admiral hiding in the bush, ( it was hot and mid day) also the Meadow Browns were out in force, I found a Small Skipper and got shots of the Ringlets so I was happy. :D

The Dark Green Fritillary's were not to be seen either, although the same man I spoke to said one had been seen there but that was last year :roll: You never know , maybe like the WLHS they may show up later. :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_4221.jpeg
IMG_4215.jpeg
IMG_4195.jpeg
IMG_4187.jpeg
IMG_4178.jpeg
IMG_4204.jpeg
IMG_4199.jpeg
IMG_4179.jpeg
David M

Post by David M »

Nice to see you encountered Ringlets & Small Skippers, Goldie. As for White Letter Hairstreaks, I have the same problem - craning my neck towards the upper reaches of the trees for precious little reward. :(
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! David, I think they must be late , I hope so , I'll have to try to get back there again, the brambles under the tree they're usually on have grown really high but they're full of flowers so hope fully next time . :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

It's great when the Ringlets and Smessex are out isn't it - I love the velvety look of the fresh Ringlet 8) I read somewhere - I think it was on Bugboys PD that the Whitters are late this year, maybe 2-3 weeks behind so it your neck can take it popping back later might be a god idea - if you've got a neck brace (I'm thinking of getting one) I'd dig it out ready :wink: 8)

Wurzel

It was Bugboy's PD and he reckoned about a week away :wink: :D
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks for your post Wurzel, I think I'll have to put some Butterflies on hold :D I'm off to Kent House hunting :D Fingers crossed I'll see some thing :D Goldie :D
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Arrived in Kent okay, already got some thing to look at, :D so rain or shine that'll keep me busy( House Hunting) :D

In my Daughters garden yesterday, I saw more Butterflies in an hour than I've seen in my garden through June :?

In the Green House Large Whites were flying in and out, Luckily no cabbages were in there :D

On a tree I saw a flutter of Blue which turned out to be a rather faded individual :D but what really was amusing was the Red Admiral at sea on the Roses :D It tried out first one and than another, flying a way and coming back , this went on for ages. :D

When I went to the middle of the garden and looked up at the roof, I caught sight of a feeding schedule , I'm not too keen on Sea Gulls but the Young ones are cute :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_4266.jpeg
IMG_4278.jpeg
IMG_4276.jpeg
IMG_4273.jpeg
IMG_4262.jpeg
IMG_4261.jpeg
IMG_4258.jpeg
IMG_4252.jpeg
IMG_4247.jpeg
IMG_4232.jpeg

Return to “Personal Diaries”